1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Road Trippin' to Arkansas

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by JZossMPLS, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JZossMPLS

JZossMPLS Member

Hey all. Next weekend I'm heading down from Minneapolis to the Ozarks for a week of hiking. We're stopping in Kansas City for one night and then it's down to the park. Just wondering if anyone had an suggestions of beers I should pick up along the way that I can't get in Minnesota. I'll be going through Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and, of course, Arkansas. Sounds like Arkansas doesn't have a lot in the way of local breweries, but there's gotta be something along my route of interest that I can't get at home. Right?
  2. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Member

If you are going through Saint Louis, hit up Perennial.
    sliverX likes this.
  3. russpowell

russpowell Member

I hear great things about the main Brown Derby in Springfield, MO. I have yet to check it out my self. Free State of Kansas has a few bottled offerings I really enjoy.
  4. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Member

4 hands brewing in st louis, mo is awesome! swing by on your way back and mule me some of their stuff ;)
  5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

You could hit up Mother's in Springfield
  6. JZossMPLS

JZossMPLS Member

Unfortunately it looks like we won't be going near St. Louis or Springfield. Des Moines, Kansas City and Fayetteville, Ak are the only cities of note we'll be going through.
  7. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Member

8. JeffZeltwanger

JeffZeltwanger Member

Not sure where you are staying in Kansas City, but I would suggest stopping at the Flying Saucer, Foundry, or Bier Station the night you are here. You should be able to find some beers on tap you can't get in Minnesota. McCoys is probably the best local brewery outside of Boulevard, and that is a good place to hang out too.

If you are looking for bottles, check out a Gomer's or Lukas location. They'll have quite a bit. Definitely look for Perennial, they have a Black Walnut Dunkel currently available here that is really good. I think they also have a mint chocolate stout coming soon, not sure if that will hit shelves this week or not.

Boulevard just released a coffee ale, which is quite good, so you may be able to find that on tap or in bottles while you are here. Not sure how much made it to the Cities. Mothers (Springfield) and Tallgrass (Manhattan, KS) also makes some pretty good stuff, and you can find that in KC as well.

If I think of anything else I will add more.
    JZossMPLS likes this.
  9. JeffZeltwanger

JeffZeltwanger Member

Also, definitely pick up some Ska while you are here, especially Modus Hoperandi. Definitely my go-to "normal" IPA.
    JZossMPLS and minnesotaryan like this.
  10. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Member

ska is AWESOME!
  11. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

If you are just passing through Des Moines, but have 30-45 mintues to kill, I'd suggest stopping by both Beer Crazy and the Hy-Vee in Urbandale. They are very close to each other (about a mile or so) and only a 5 minute drive off of I-35...super easy to get to.

Minnesota gets pretty much all of the same distribution that Iowa gets, plus many more that we don't get, so the chances of finding something unique here will be fairly slim.

Breweries you may not be able to get in Minnesota:
    • Green Flash - all of their beer are pretty readily available in Iowa. Palate Wrecker is even still around, fresh.
    • Peace Tree - from Iowa and I would suggest picking up Hop Sutra (Double IPA) or Blonde Fatale (solid Belgian Ale)
    • Back Pocket Brewing - another brewery from Iowa. I'd suggest the Wooden Nickel (Peated Scotch Ale)
    • Left Coast - don't know if you get there in MN or not, but their Hop Juice (Double IPA) and The Wedge (Black IPA) are both great. From California.
    • Toppling Goliath - won't find any bottles, but if you have the time, it would be worth the trip to El Bait Shop in Downtown Des Moines to fill a growler. Well worth the detour!
  12. priwen

priwen Member

Liquor World in Fayetteville, AR is a good place for beer, but I don't know if they'll have anything you can't get in Minnesota or anywhere else along your trip.
  13. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Member

you should mule some of this up here when you come... just saying.
  14. JZossMPLS

JZossMPLS Member

Awesome tips, thanks everyone. I just might be enticed into bringing some stuff back.

JeffZ: I am staying at the Days Inn near the speedway, apparently. Not sure if that's near any of the places you mentioned.
  15. JeffZeltwanger

JeffZeltwanger Member

It's 20-30 minutes or so from the locations I mentioned, pretty easy drive on I-70/I-35. The Yardhouse is out by the Speedway (in the Legends shopping area) if you don't feel like driving. They typically have a few good beers on tap, and usually when we are there they have a random rarer Boulevard on tap (Coffee, Rye on Rye, etc.).
    JZossMPLS likes this.
  16. CRJMellor

CRJMellor Member

awesome you'll be coming down I-49 into NW Arkansas. Stop at Macadoodles right on the highway literally on the Missouri/Arkansas border. Mothers has some really nice brews including a newly released Impy Stout and decent Barleywine. Really good selection at MacDs. Little microbrewery just south of Fayetteville called Tanglewood Branch on School St. 5-10 minutes of I-540. enjoy the ride
  17. JZossMPLS

JZossMPLS Member

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I managed to check out some of the suggestions but not all this trip was officially about hiking, not beer. ; )

My quick take on things:

1. Kansas City, where we stopped on the way down and the way back, is really, really proud of Boulevard. Everywhere we went had a selection of Boulevard taps and bottles, and then a bunch of macro shit and pretty much nothing else. St. Paul is pretty loyal to Summit, but there's certainly no "unofficial beer of the Twin Cities" in the same way Boulevard is regarded in KC. Just an observation.

2. I'd had a few Boulevard beers before and never thought much of them. Now, I'm officially a fan. Their tap-only Dry Stout is great. Tank 7 and The Sixth Glass were also pleasant surprises. Picked up a sixer of the 80 Acre Wheat to bring home, good stuff as well.

3. Ska Brewing is indeed awesome. Got the mixed 12 pack. Modus Hoperandi is excellent, and I quite like the ESB as well. The Blonde Ale didn't do much for me, but then again they never do.

4. Gomer's - Great place! Wish I'd spent triple what I did there, but restrained myself. Picked up that Ska pack, Mother's Uber Pilsner and Schlafly's Summer Ale. The employee I chatted with gave me a free bottle of Flying Monkey Amber to sample as well and shared his love of Summit. I'd definitely go back.

5. Schlafly - Meh.

6. Flying Saucer - A little dorky, but definitely a great beer bar! Had a class of the Impy Stout from Mother's that CRJMellor suggested. Great, great beer. My wife tried the Firestone Walker Black Rye IPA, the first time either of us had tried that style. Also pretty good.

7. Arkansas is beautiful, the people were friendly and Devil's Den State Park is stunning. Kansas City is surprisingly cool as well. We had a great time. Thanks for the tips, everyone!
    minnesotaryan likes this.