1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rocks Brewing Company growing

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by MrKennedy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I love how they say, "oh it's a risk because beer consumption is down", and then point out in the next paragraph that craft beer is growing.

Silly people. Good luck to Rocks. Keep growing craft beer!
  3. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Scotty, are you able to shed light on whether there any plans to bottle?
  4. Yep, we have doubled in the last year, same for the year before on a volume basis. We will bottle, but only when the costs are controlled and its our equipment or part there-of. I'm lucky, I was a founding directors of Barons Brewing, the first one sacked (best thing to happen ever), and saw the slippery slope bottling was for them and others around them. The 'bang it into a contract plant and cross your fingers' is ugly business which Rocks has avoided and we have slowly chipped away on draught.

Was planning on the first bottle beer being under the Pawtucket Patriot Ale label, but seems it is already taken?
    Arassuil likes this.
  5. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Would be curious to hear what styles/price point you are aiming at.

Also your opinion on how easy/hard it will be to compete with the growing number of international craft imports
  6. Yep, that is the question at the moment, which beers that is. Will likely be Pale, Red and the specialties including our IPA (which goes into tank in 2 weeks, woot woot).

At $17 a sixer no one can compete with the Ballast Point / Karl Strauss type deal at the moment. Dunno how they have achieved that to be honest ... anyways we will continue to do what we do, chip away. (Lucky I am a former sales guy who does not get involved with our sales with that sort of articulation of a sales plan! ;p)
  7. Lukie

>At $17 a sixer no one can compete with the Ballast Point / Karl Strauss type deal at the moment. Dunno how they have achieved that to be honest<

False pricing, as it's wholesale.
  8. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (665) Australia Jul 14, 2008

While I'm no fan of some of the business practices of the majors, if they are able to take a layer out of the chain and offer an excellent beer at a very good price for the consumer then that should be supported. Even better, they are actually putting this stuff all around the country. I can't say that for some wholesalers who are cherry picking stores to get particular beers rather than ensuring that they are available in all the capital cities (let alone places like Toowoomba).

I understand that you have a vested interest in these issues but the bottom line is that this is working well for consumers. In fact, the best thing Dan's could do would be to hire a senior manager with craft experience from somewhere like Total Wine or BevMo, give them a blank check and tell them to replicate as much as they can.
  9. Lukie

It doesn't help anyone, except Woolworths figures. Consumers then get a false idea of what prices beer should be, which in turn hurts every single other product on the market because they can't compete, because of a false price. This is what the big companies in the US do, and is a constant bickering point amongst US craft breweries. From my emails with BP, I don't think they knew what was actually going on though.
  10. I like the sound of these false prices. :eek: They're lower, right? Sounds OK for the consumer. It's only if they are pricing low in order to _permanently_ drive out competition so as later prices will be higher that it's bad for consumers. If they are doing this to gain market share - even at a loss - that sucks and is unfair for other businesses, but consumers win. If they are doing it because their costs are truly lower, it still sucks for other businesses - but consumers win.

But $17 a six pack doesn't mean disaster for locals or that they have to match it. It means pressure to perform in the _neighborhood_ of the price of imports.
  11. Hi there - whilst I do not know how it is achieved (well see below, thats not so true), I do not think its a bad thing. I am as much as a consumer as anyone else, and I have been buying shite loads of the stuff.

The beast that we always whinge about is cost. Cost of excise is the obvious one. But then there is the cost of glass and paper, labor and logistics. These things all add up. If we look at the price separation, the usual retail price for a sixer of SNPA in San Diego was $7. SN probably pays excise too, price here is what, $24 a sixer. If we yelp about cost, then a container is about $3700 to bring out from the US + GST + Excise. The beer in the US has gone through a distributor and then through a retailers hands, and so it begs the question of what are the costs of all the inputs.

If $7 a sixer retail in the US, whats the wholesale? Wholesale on your standard Aussie Craft? Folks know this better than I from having bottle shops etc, about $50-60, so twice that of the standard retail in the US even with all sorts of fingers in the pie.

Again, more my point was the difference in pricing does bring lots of questions. Folks can answer those as they may, I more wanted to make the point i'm just focusing on doing what we do as best as we can do it within our means. Sorry if that seemed I was having ago at Dans or any other supplier, which was not the intent.
  12. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

That's is essentially what happened. A delgation went over to talk to US craft brewers and see what could be done to get the products over at a decent price and to see if a certain amount of supply could be guaranteed.
  13. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (180) Australia Jul 9, 2008

yeh they do seem to be unneccesarily cheap,
    I would ahve been happy with a $25 or somewhere like that, but at $17 or so, its possibly low enugh to get a corona drinker to give one a go
  14. dgilks

Yeah, except that I mean that they should bring in someone with real experience selling craft on a large scale who knows how to fill fridges and shelf facings with craft and move it rather than a few guys from the current setup. Take a risk and go big into craft, that is what they should do because I reckon it would pay off.
  15. ADZA

ADZA Savant (465) Australia Jun 25, 2009

Do i hear right Dans is selling Ballast Point?
  16. dgilks

Yes.
  17. ADZA

ADZA Savant (465) Australia Jun 25, 2009

lol oh my is that the whole range and is it fresh?
  18. Lukie

Not the whole range, only 1 type at the moment, with one more coming.

No sculpin.
  19. The sculpin is all mine, I call dibs on it. Last time I had it was at the Neighborhood bar ... fell in love right there ...
  20. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

21. Tv show, will be awesome. I already have my 'scott the swearing brewer' tshirts printed ....
  22. did i have the 'sarcasm' button on ...