1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Thickfreakness, Jan 30, 2013.

1. My local Zymurgist is going to be brewing a Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout soon... anyone else ever done this? What should I expect? I'm not even sure I wanna be around for this one! Points for experimentalism and out and out BALLS (Pun intended)! I can't imagine the Bull parts will actually add that much to the taste, but what do I know. Thoughts?
    thanks...
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

That's nuts.
    Rau71, Jimjohson, KevSal and 5 others like this.
  3. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

It's real. A bit gimmicky, but I'd probably try it. Heck, we eat chorizo here, how back can RMO stout be? :rolleyes:
  4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Rocky Mountain Oysters are actually tasty as hell. They remind me of a creamy calamari when they are done right. I could see said ingredient adding texture to the brew in the same way lactose does, or a high mash temp.

And yeah, it was an April fools joke initially and came to be a real brew around last years GABF.
  5. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I think I would rather have them on a plate with a beer then in my beer!
  6. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Sounds like a perfect recipe to get Jack off the beer and on the wagon.
    Jimjohson likes this.
  7. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Zealot (80) Georgia Dec 26, 2012

Puts a whole new spin on the name "Beernuts".
    AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  8. Good head retention?
  9. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Wyncoop had this one on tap for a while, and I was at the parade of darks that they hosted when they first made the beer. I stopped at their booth, but couldn't bring myself to try it. Sounded super gimmicky and pointless.

"3 balls per barrell"- I doubt that would add any flavor whatsoever anyway. That's such a tiny amount of something that woudln't probably impart much flavor without a ton of it in there.