1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rogness Holiday

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by blatherbeard, Dec 11, 2012.

1. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I honestly never realized that Rogness bottled. so when i stopped by a small convience store on 45th and duval, seeing the selection amazed me.

when i spotted the rogness rook and Holiday, i HAD to get me some. (along with black thunder, santa fe impy stout and sam adams cinder bock) for almost 50 bucks

but now im drinking the holiday and i have to say, well worth the stop.

After reading the sales receipt i was amazed that i only paid 47 total for the stop, not much more than if id have stopped at specs on the way home.

NEWAY Holiday is just awesome. Very good spice notes with great flavors throughout the beer. Nose is a bit short but the flavor profile just hits it out of da park imo.

ill be stopping by tomorrow to pick up more for the holidays...pun intended!

2. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Dude had that one in my hand at Sunrise earlier but opted for a sure thing (Double Bastard), will have to pick one up...As for where you purchased said beer, I'm amazed that somebody bought beer at Hyde Park Market and doesn't feel ripped off. How much was your Holiday? $8.99 at Sunrise...

3. blatherbeard

Im pretty sure it was about the same price.

either 8.99 or 6 something. All i know is a sixxer of abw, sixxer of santa fe impy stout,a bomber each of sam adams, and 2 rogness for less than 50 bucks is about the same price as specs overall.

and ps, double bastard may be a "sure thing' for you, but its a sure shit for me. I hate that crap.

videofrog likes this.
  4. blatherbeard

got the receipt now.

SA cinder bock 6.99
    Rook 7.99
    Holiday 8.99
    Santa fe impy stout 6 pack *8.99
    ABW Black Thunder 10.99*(may be reversed, not sure but i saw him ring the prod and thought it was this way)

overall, where i bought, what i paid, not much over sticker at arbor walk. (and actually i think it was less in some respects)

ps, it was rosedale market. and if thats being " ripped off" then someone aint payin attention.

5. lokieman

Rosedale is 45th and Burnet actually...Hyde Park Market is at 45th and Duval. Rosedale is a really cool little spot...I work right down the street and stop in there on occasion coming and going from the Draughthouse.

P.S.... I don't know if Double Bastard is really a sure thing either. It's decent but after having it tonight I wasn't upset when it was gone. I enjoy Lukcy Bastard a lot more...

6. blatherbeard

yeah my bad, idk why but i get duval and burnet confused for some reason LOL

7. corbey

corbey Aficionado (160) Texas Oct 22, 2006

Even if I end up paying a couple dollars more at Sunrise or Rosedale, I'd still rather shop there than Spec's in Arbor Walk. That's because they know me and they're nicer, plus it's not a PITA to get in and out of their parking lot. Also, I like supporting the little guys who are making an effort to support craft beer.

reifsnid and BK1017 like this.
  8. reifsnid

reifsnid Aficionado (155) Texas Jun 1, 2006

I do most if not all of my shopping at Sunrise. I just wish Sam got the rare releases in sooner than other places, but you can't blame him for the delivery man.

9. lokieman

I work right down the street from Sunrise and Rosedale but usually hit Sunrise when I'm in need. The prices are usually a dollar or two more on average but the convenience of not having to navigate Arbor Walk's parking lot is more than worth it. If you build up a good rapport with Sam he will always take care of you if he can and I like the personal attention at Sunrise that the big stores don't really offer.

blatherbeard and reifsnid like this.
  10. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Stop going to Arbor Walk and shop at Specs Round Rock. Almost the same distance from you and much chiller.

p.s. - we need to get together for a beer soon!

11. reifsnid

reifsnid Aficionado (155) Texas Jun 1, 2006

All I have to add is that Sam is awesome.

blatherbeard likes this.
  12. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Rosedale Market kicks ass. I shop there whenever I'm up near the Draught House. Fair prices, nice staff, and they tend to have JK limited releases longer than others (I got a Thrash Metal there last month and they also had Boxer's still on the shelf). They always have a good Stone selection as well. Make sure to look behind the counter for limiteds.

Rogness is in most of the indie bottle shops in the area. Sunrise, E1G, Barton Hills Foodmart, S Lamar Wine, and Whip In usually have it. Love Gigantaphus.

blatherbeard likes this.
  13. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Specs RR had 4-5 varieties of Rogness today too, including the Holiday

blatherbeard likes this.
  14. blatherbeard

Living north, most of the places you list i dont get anywhere NEAR. lol but a good list to have none the less ;)

And yes ken we DO need to get together soon. Just got back from the alehouse and i still say its vastly underrated as a beer bar.

Ill be going there over opals now when i can.