1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rogue Chocolate Stout vs. Rogue Double Chocolate Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Jan 22, 2013.

1. My beer store has both varieties. I have tasted neither so far. They both intrigue me a little. If I were only going to buy one, which should it be? And ... Or, if you think I should get both, please give me a compelling reason that I should do so (i.e., get both). Grateful for any guidance.

2. No contest - get the double

RobertColianni and mmikey8 like this.
  3. I have never had the double but the regular version is pretty damn tasty.

4. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (280) California Aug 2, 2012

100% agree! Day and Night - Double all the way

5. atone315

atone315 Advocate (730) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

Get the RED bottle, all day!!!!

6. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I like the double chocolate stout a lot, but I also really like the regular chocolate stout. I tend to buy neither since they're both overpriced.
    But, why not both?

johnnyboy76 likes this.
  7. Regular is a better crafted beer and a better value.
    Shakespeare Stout and Hazelnut Brown Nectar are the other must tries from Rogue IMO.

8. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

If between the two, the double.

However, without even knowing what your shop has, I'd imagine there are at least 10 stouts Id buy over either of them.

FriarTuckInLuck and Dtrain4 like this.
  9. jlt6116

jlt6116 Aficionado (205) California Oct 13, 2009

Double beats the regular on every level. But it's spendy.

10. I really like 'em both. I keep multiples of 'em both in my cellar, mostly because I love their product, but also because I find their employment philosophy to be cool.

I keep a lot more of the regular Chocolate Stout though. Its half the price, but far better than half as good.

Onenote81 and oregone like this.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I enjoyed both of them. If you buy and drink one of each...where's the harm?

12. Is there a lesser priced substitute product that is similar in quality, yet significantly less in price?

13. Good point and excellent question. But if I buy both and the Double kills the regular by comparison, then I would have been better investing in the one only.

14. They are both worth trying. Regular is good, Double is fantastic. Like a liquid hershey kiss, and strong. The only chocolate stout I like better than Rogue Double is Southern Tier Choklat.

15. Like which, for example? I do happen to buy a lot of stouts. But I'm always open to trying new ones.

16. Good answer. I think I'll probably end up getting both of them. But I'll probably end up drinking one after the other so that I can conduct my own taste test.

17. Nectar

Ten Fidy, anything in the Yeti Series from Great Divide. DORIS the Destroyer, Lagunitas Cappuchino Stout. Founders RIS, BP victory at sea, old Rapustin, DFH chicory Stout, Founders Porter. Those are just some that are sitting on my small stores shelf that I can think of right now.

Apologies if the list is nothing new to you, and im not saying that the two you mentioned are horrible. Just saying that after having them, I was underwhelmed and would go with anything listed above. If you havent had Victory at Sea, I recently tried it and was very happy.

Also don't mean to detract from the focus of the thread, just sharing my opinion/observation.

18. Thanks. Good list. I've had some of the ones you mentioned. Others like BP Victory at Sea are not available by me. But the Rogue stouts are quite highly rated, both here and at (am I allowed to mention this?) Rate Beer.

19. Nectar

Give them a go then! Just sharing the opinion of myself and my palate :)

20. The Double is better, but the regular is cheaper.

21. Sam Smith Organic Chocolate Stout. Wait, what?

22. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (345) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

The double is overwhelmingly bitter chocolate, which I'm not crazy about, especially for 15-16 bucks. I remember the regular being alot smoother and sweeter, so I guess it depends how you like your stouts.

23. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Go for the one with the cooler looking bottle art. ;)

24. Seriously. It's cheaper per ounce and probably the best chocolate stout in the world.

sentomaster and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  25. I'd pick up Mocha Porter. I've heard their chocolate stouts are sweet stouts, which I stay away from. The mocha goes the dark chocolate direction, if that's your cup of tea. Mocha Porter is also my favorite beer from Rogue, so....yeah.

26. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

I rated them very similar when I first had them. I later had a single chocolate in a bar and it seemed less complex than the first time. But I think they're both really good. I think it's fun to compare so I say get both.

27. Chrome_Dome

Chrome_Dome Zealot (95) Ohio Dec 19, 2012

Full disclosure, I've not had either, but just in reading the comments this one convinced me that, personally, I'd probably get the regular first. Seems likely that it's a quality brew at a slightly better value, and enjoying each on it's own, with some time separating the tastings might allow me to fully enjoy what each bring to the table. Just my 2 cents.

28. The double was served on tap at a Rogue taphouse in Bellingham and ruined most stouts for me until the imperial versions became more popular. I had the single and was very underwhelmed. IMO there is no comparison.

29. Yikes and to think that pints of this stuff ( and yes it was double not single), cost 6 bucks a pop about 6 years ago.

30. If a little is good, allot is better and too much is just enough!