1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rogue Maple Bacon on Chopped

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by checktherhyme, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know if this was posted yet before but I am watching the show Chopped and one of the mandatory ingredients is the Voodoo Doughnut beer. Both people who tasted it, said it was the most disgusting thing they ever tasted. I tend to agree.

Hilarious

2. emyers

emyers Savant (255) Illinois Jan 11, 2009

I love that show! Kinda mad I missed that, sounds hilarious. I'll have to find that episode. And yeah, I can't disagree with that statement.

3. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

I'll have to find that too, sucks for Rogue though... They must know it though.

4. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

I was just at Soulful Soups in Spokaloo and saw that up on the screen. Did I notice a large print label placed on the beer to help with the product placement?!

5. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I watched my first episode of that show tonight, and lo and behold, Maple Bacon ale. I've never had it, but someone on these forums told me it wasn't bad, and to pick it up if I saw it. I probably would, just for the hell of it. I'm pretty glad that annoying redneck dude didn't win btw.

6. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

The good thing, for Rogue, is that they didn't say it was Rogue maple bacon ale. They simply state that it is maple bacon ale, and we are left to assume that it is Rogue (I've also seen it mentioned a few other places that it was in fact Rogue.)

7. Cerveza

Cerveza Aficionado (125) California Jun 26, 2012

That's hilarious, I don't watch TV but being bored and cold me and the wife decided to watch the food channel.

If someone can find this I would love to view it. I wonder if Rogue paid for the product placement?

8. Maple bacon drink pretty good. how else should a maple bacon beer taste?

TheMonkfish likes this.
  9. Centennial

Centennial Savant (450) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

10. I hated that beer to the first time I tried it. Then I had it again while eating some deserts and it actually tasted really good paired with them.

11. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (495) New York Dec 17, 2010

12. Love soulful soups!

13. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Could guess that, but have never seen you on this site. We've met many times. I'm a close friend of Lauren and Garrett.

14. I tried that beer for the first time the other day; it's a disgrace to beer, bacon, maple syrup, and even the color pink.

VonZipper and youbrewidrink like this.
  15. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

Can you believe that bottle shops by me sell this crap for $20 a bottle!?!?

Needless to say, they collect dust.

16. Na, the label was covered up and they just called it "Maple Bacon Ale". But you could see the pink bottle and the cap that said Rogue.

17. I saw that episode. Yeah, the redneck chef (the one who said it was the worst beer ever) didn't win, and he sure as hell didn't drink craft beer on the regular. I have had Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale before, and while it wasn't the best beer that I have ever tasted, I have bought multiple bottles since then. Any time someone says that they don't like the beer, or that it is a foul beer, I tend to think that they have yet to really break into smoke beers. The first time I had an Aecht Schlenkerla, I HATED it and immediately poured it out. Then after a few years and continuing to develop my palate, I started to actually really enjoy them. And now I love smoked beers. The same thing applies to sours. I didn't like Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus the first time I tasted it and could not finish the glass...or even a third sip for that matter. So, stick with it fellow BA's...in a few years you might come to realize that RVDBMA is not a bad beer at all!

szmnnl99 likes this.
  18. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

My niece brought 1 to our family Christmas party this year . she came back from Oregon where she bought it at the brewery. I actually thought it tasted pretty good like a smoked beer. I didn't get any of the ashy taste. Maybe this was the second batch that some people alluded to.

19. Any time someone says that they don't mind the beer, or that it is a good beer, I tend to think they have had Aunt Jemima's syrup their whole life instead of real maple syrup. That shit is not maple flavored. It is corn syrup and artificial maple flavoring flavored.

20. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

Maybe not; they keep brewing it.

21. You can ascertain from watching these shows that most celebrity chefs struggle with the craft beer movement. Beer was not a fine dining staple during their ascent in the culinary world. I think the next generation of chefs will have it more engrained in their DNA as they develop their culinary identity.

tjensen3618 likes this.
  22. TnBeer_Diva

TnBeer_Diva Aspirant (35) Dec 1, 2012

I know I'm in a minority, but I love that beer........the flavors were strong, but not overpowering. Doesn't hurt that I love bacon. :D

MusicaleMike likes this.
  23. Did they brew it more than once?

24. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (400) California Feb 15, 2011

That's hilarious. The Total Wine next door to me sells it for $11.99 a bottle. That bottle shop owner needs a wake-up call

25. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

This was the 2nd year the distributed it (I believe).

26. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Whatr some a dem other beers we got. Coors - Milluh...

ShogoKawada likes this.
  27. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

This beer is my only drainpour. It was fucking horrible.

28. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I love bacon too, which is why this beer is such a travesty. It gives bacon (and maple, and doughnuts, and voodoo for that matter) a bad name.

29. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Smoke beers aren't my favorite but I can drink them. I am a guy so I love bacon. Doughnuts are tasty as well. This beer however was an abortion of all three flavors. As I said in another thread, there is a reason the bottle is Pepto Bismal pink. All three of us drinking it drain poured it. Hideous.

30. draheim

If I ate a donut that tasted like this beer, I'd probably stuff it down the drain too.
    Maybe some beers just shouldn't be madeā€”let alone sold, in exchange for actual money.

31. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

saw that last night... that one older guy was not impressed at all!!! hahahaha

32. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

the bottle shop near me has sold at least 6 cases at 18$/ea. everyone wants to try it once....

(it's still better than fantome hiver)

ShogoKawada likes this.
  33. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I want to taste just how bad it is, but I just can't bring myself to pay the money for it.

gkatsoris likes this.
  34. Maple is a pretty delicate flavor in general, and it really doesn't come out very strongly in this beer at all. It remains in balance with smoke and malt. I love real maple syrup, but I am not expecting to drink something strongly flavored of maple. Keep in mind this is a beer that is a recreation of an actual food item: http://voodoodoughnut.com/rouge_ales.html

35. DFH Black and Red. SA Triple Bock.

36. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (480) California Nov 10, 2006

enjoy the show since I'm a wannabe chef. Sorry I missed this episode. Which course was it a mandatory ingredient and did anyone do well with it?

37. What was the beers mis-step in your opinion? I like all those things too, and this beer tastes exactly like the Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Bar. Soooo...do you not like bacon or something?

38. Given that this beer tastes JUST like the Bacon Maple Bar from Voodoo Doughnut, I fail to see how this missed any targets at all. Maybe since you don't like smoked beers yet, that was why you didn't like it. Try the Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen and then try this beer again and see what you think (it will put a little more perspective as the German rauchbier is REALLY smokey)

And the pink bottle imitates the logo for Voodoo Doughnuts.

39. draheim

Nope, I love bacon. In fact, I love pretty much all smoked or cured meats. But to me, this beer didn't taste like bacon. It had an offputting chemical, medicinal quality. I actually liked the smell, but to me it seemed to shift in a weird, surprising way between a really enticing maple/bacon aroma and a really disgusting chemical smell. Taste only got worse. Looking at my review, I also picked up a rancid, sour cherry quality. I've never had the original Voodoo Bacon Maple Bar, so I can't compare this beer to the food that inspired it. Next time I'm down in Portland I'll probably try to track one down.

40. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

I thought this as well, but I really want to see some serious genetics on this. It seems to me that a guy who spends most of his waking hours in a brewery is most likely going to have plain ol' ale yeast in his beard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.