1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rogue Maple Bacon on Chopped

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by checktherhyme, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's not actually bad at all. I'm pretty convinced that people will negatively hype down (I made that up) beers in the same way that people hype up super rare and limited beers.

szmnnl99 and jmalex like this.
  2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Or maybe some people just don't like the same beers you do.
    This one in particular, like a few Southern Tier offerings (think Creme Brulee), seems to be a "love/hate" beer. There's not a lot of middle ground. If you like it, great. Enjoy it. That doesn't mean people who disagree with you are wrong, or that they're trying to hype it down.
    I went in really wanting to like this beer, hoping that I would. But I didn't. That's all there is to it.

3. Yeah, I think that a lot of people had these high expectations going into this beer, without really knowing anything about Voodoo Doughnuts. This is a weird beer for sure (weird good/weird bad doesn't matter) but then again the inspiration is an equally weird doughnut from an equally weird city. Other than the massive amount of smoked malt, I didn't find anything about this beer overly aggressive, so that's why I get confused by people really truly hating this beer. It isn't worth that hatred, because it just isn't really much more than a smoked beer.

I did not get the same experience from my times tasting this beer as you did, I know that. I wonder if that smoked malt came off too strong for you and gave the impression of "medicinal?" I would be curious to see if trying the beer again is any different for you (or if there are variations from batch to batch. My bottles have been consistent, but that is only 4 bottles so that isn't saying much.

4. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

It was a replay of Chopped: Grillmasters Competition. It was in the fourth episode of four "cook-ins" before the final $50,000 finale. I think I recall it was the entree course. Not certain though and with that show and its crazy ass ingredients it would have been perfect in any of the three courses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.