1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rogue releases White Whale Ale, infused with pages from the novel Moby-Dick

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

PORTLAND, OR (NOVEMBER 15TH, 2012) – Call it White Whale Ale.

Powell's Books and Rogue Ales and Spirits, two unique Oregon businesses, have collaborated to create a beer that's dedicated to everyone with a thirst for books and artisan craft beer: White Whale Ale.

White Whale Ale is infused with the sea-faring spirit of Moby-Dick. Michael and Emily Powell took pages from a copy of the book and, along with Rogue Brewmaster John Maier, placed them into the brew kettle. Moby-Dick is especially meaningful to Michael Powell, who was inspired to become a bookseller when he found a first edition of the novel in a box of books he'd purchased.

White Whale Ale was brewed in honor of Powell's Books 41st Anniversary. Powell's Books is the one of the world's great independent and family run bookstores. Its flagship store in downtown Portland, Oregon covers an entire city block and contains more than one million new and used books. It also serves customers worldwide through http://Powells.com.

White Whale Ale is available at Rogue Hall in the heart of the Portland State University campus and the Rogue Distillery & Public House located in Portland's historic Pearl District, just blocks from Powell's Books on Burnside. Commemorative bottles may also be purchased online at http://www.rogue.com.

Rogue Ales & Spirits is an artisan varietal brewery and distillery founded in Oregon in 1988, as one of America's first 50 microbreweries. Rogue is available in 50 states and 32 countries, and has won over 900 awards for taste and quality.

###

yamar68 likes this.
  2. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

This is incredibly stupid.

3. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Impressive - they won't even mention any additional details.

4. Dope

Dope Advocate (575) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Can't imagine it's any worse than that voodoo donut maple campfire ale.

Dope

5. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

So a papery/cardboardy flavor in this beer would not be an off flavor then?

6. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

This sounds outrageous. I have to buy it.

/sarcasm.

ZX6Chris and Mavajo like this.
  7. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

If this was April 1st... Since it isn't, I can only assume Rogue just flipped us all the bird. Craft has officially jumped the shark.

BigBarley, Momar42, ZX6Chris and 8 others like this.
  8. only drinking this if it's made with pages from the 1st ed.

Hdredfern, Momar42, ZX6Chris and 15 others like this.
  9. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

from hell's heart, i roll my eyes at thee

10. I already wasn't going to purchase this since it's Rogue, but I just had to click this to see if this was a joke. Apparently it is not. I could maybe, MAYBE see this if they use old copies of the book because after a while some of the chemicals in the pages break down and cause a vanilla-like aroma to form. This is what attributes to the "old book smell" that people enjoy so much (http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/134136). If these are copies that were published in the last half-century (more likely since I can't imagine making beer by destroying valuable and possibly rare books is an awesome idea), this beer is going to be awful insofar as it will taste like eating a ream of paper. It will probably be awful regardless. As Dope said, there's still about a 99.853% chance that this will be better than Maple Bacon Abomination Ale was (according to every BA's opinion on the beer; I haven't had it myself).

ZX6Chris, gcamparone and kemoarps like this.
  11. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

12. Best. Fuck-off. Ever.

I love it!

ZX6Chris, Zhiguli, kemoarps and 4 others like this.
  13. Think it will be the same if I just rip out a page from my copy of Moby Dick, crumple it up, and toss it in my glass of beer???

Waste of a book... and why would you want paper in your beer?

whendeathsleeps and papat444 like this.
  14. I hope it tastes like Whale! mmm....love me some whale!
    Whale ka-bobs, whale stew, whale waffles, whale chops...

15. Screw the harpoons, kill it with fire. That sounds horrid

16. I prefer to carefully cut out a page, roll it tight around a pencil (for best results, one of Henry's pencils if you got one handy- check 'way back in your kitchen junk drawer), lick the exposed edge, remove pencil and use the page as a straw. I call it an "Ishmael".

tarawho, frazbri and Rempo like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Surely they can't be serious.

18. "Michael and Emily Powell took pages from a copy of the book and, along with Rogue Brewmaster John Maier, placed them into the brew kettle. Moby-Dick is especially meaningful to Michael Powell, who was inspired to become a bookseller when he found a first edition of the novel in a box of books he'd purchased."

Alias=Pulp Fiction

19. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Savant (315) Nebraska Mar 15, 2012

First time hearing about Rogue? Of course they're serious.

ABisonEgo likes this.
  20. I'm not gonna defend Rogue on this one. This is just... too weird.

21. And don't call them Shirley.

22. I thought it was a silly joke, until I went to the Rogue website and saw it available. Ummmmmmmmmm.....

23. They are... and don't call me Shirley.

24. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Cool with me...I'd rather drink the book then read it.

25. theecaleb

theecaleb Aficionado (160) Alaska Jul 15, 2009

Next from Rogue, Holy Bible IPA.

26. So ridiculous, but i think i can't refuse to buy it since i love moby dick.

27. Where's MordorMongo? Could this be a rare and elusive MOBY DICK MOVE?

Duff27, Beerontwowheels and FosterJM like this.
  28. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I wonder if this would be so unmanageable for folks if it were Brewdog or Dogfish Head that did it.

29. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

not worthy.

30. Now eagerly awaiting for the Rogue and Nike collaboration, ale infused with Michael Jordan's sweat. :D

ZX6Chris and GardenWaters like this.
  31. Can't wait, this sounds awesome!

/said no one ever

32. Well dang, why didn't I think of that! nice.

33. SHIMP

SHIMP Zealot (75) Virginia Nov 16, 2011

I want one

34. I'd like to try it, but I'd probably only make it about a third of the way through, get bored, put it back on the shelf and feel disappointed in myself about it.

Momar42, LonJandis, tarawho and 6 others like this.
  35. You guys are dumb, moby dicks is themost delicious book I've ever had.

36. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I hope everyone that drinks this gets ink poisoning.

37. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Almost as cool as the beard yeast beer. Next on deck is a stout conditioned with yeast infection.

38. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

Oh boy what are those clowns from Brewdog up to now...wait a minute...this isn't brewdog at all....

dfclav likes this.
  39. ...what about the ink?
    Does no one else find that to be somewhat gross.

40. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

There are some many directions to go with this one.....just....can't....choose.....

2beerdogs and FosterJM like this.