1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rogue releases White Whale Ale, infused with pages from the novel Moby-Dick

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Nov 20, 2012.

1. oh they are, and my names not surely.

2. You forgot the best of all Whale BACON !!!

3. Blend this with Maple Bacon Ale, bourbon barrel age it, throw in some beard follicles, and we'll talk.

4. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (385) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Oh my God, this is a serious thread........cannot believe what i am reading. Thought i had too much Hopzilla and hoponious uniin...

5. What chapter is it from? Is it from the "quarter-deck" chapter? That's the scene where Ahab makes the crew drink grog from a communal drinking vessel.

6. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

okay so let the "digestible novels" and "dick in my beer" jokes begin ....but seriously is there like a regulatory agency that might be interested in ink in a food product?

7. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

that would be sacrelicious...

not with DFH, they try to make an interesting beer with odd ingredients and it usually works out pretty well. This would be odd even for the folks that made a beer with prechewed corn.

zencigar likes this.
  8. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Word is their next beer is "you can call me ale" infused with old NYC Yellow Pages & Paul Simon album covers.

9. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Not to be confused with a white whale like Loerik or Wooden Hell.

10. What a gimmick.

11. That stuff was the worst beer i have ever had. Home brews included.

12. Mbennett

Mbennett Savant (295) New York Jun 16, 2011

I don't have much to add, but I will be the 4th person to respond with "my name is not Shirley" even though the original statement wasn't directed to me.

13. I'd actually been thinking of picking up some Santa's Private Reserve once I saw some this winter, just for kicks. Now that I saw this thread, I'll see their sixer, think of the stupid marketing gimmick this was, and grab something else.

In other words, I would have likely purchased something, and now I won't. Plus I'll relate the stupidity of this to others, who already have marginal opinions of Rogue.

Not really sure how that can be spun into 'smart marketing'.

14. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (360) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Because you're one man and your one purchase will be far out weighed by all of the people who go and buy one of these out of curiosity.

15. Right, I am one man - and as you said, I'm one man out of the demographic that they are trying to market to. As is pretty much everyone on this thread, where the consensus seems to be that this beer is a joke, and not to be taken seriously.

As I see it, the demographic has been met head on in this thread, and replied primarily negatively. So I still don't see the 'smart marketing' there.

16. Preluderl

You see Rogue going out of business anytime soon? They're doing something right.

17. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

There is no explination or backstory that can possibly mitigate the stupidity of this. However, we are all paying attention to them, so mission accomplished.

18. Preluderl

Bingo.

19. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Is it just me, or does it seem like Rogue has made some kind of commitment to start porducing shit beers? I really don't understand what they are trying to achieve by releasing all of these crappy brews. It's like they're in the NFL shooting for first round draft pick.

20. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (495) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

Wait until they make their Ulysses themed beer...

21. jettjon

jettjon Savant (455) Florida Jun 3, 2005

This is simultaneously the stupidiest and most brilliant thing I've heard today.

isuee94, Psykhe and lilnicky068 like this.
  22. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

This is taking the whole "whale" this a bit too literally.....literally folks...hehe get it?.. literally? Is this thing on...tough crowd

cyraschris likes this.
  23. shoulda called it Herman Mellvale

gotta be a witbier

adjunct - squid ink?

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. whodeyvols

whodeyvols Aficionado (165) Ohio Sep 2, 2012

No Game of Thrones?

25. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I think Rogue is making this so when the more socially-acceptable wine drinkers are around you can tell them 'yeah? my shit has a book in it. how's that for intellectual?'

YogiBeer and 77black_ships like this.
  26. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Lol, Any press is good press... unless it makes tons of people say "wow, that business is really stupid."

I already wasn't going to buy anything fromr ogue, but now I'll go out of my way to warn everyone away from their beer. Oh wait, I already do that, because I feel terrible when someone wastes money on that swill. Same with Finch's. Blech.

27. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

That is reserved for the whale semen barrel aged variant.

28. beerpadawan

beerpadawan Savant (380) California Aug 12, 2007

The beer is about Portland/Oregon; it's a symbolic gesture to honor a bookstore. The proprietors surely enjoyed placing the pages in the brew kettle. The 41 years of bookstore fans surely enjoy knowing the pages are in there. Everything will be ok.

rrryanc likes this.
  29. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

In a 1957 lecture, Experimental Music, John Cage described music as "a purposeless play" which is "an affirmation of life – not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living".

I think all these people who like to bitch about Rouge should really read this and take it to heart and shut up. I'm not a huge Rogue fan but I don't sit on the internet all day bitching about them. Beer is supposed to be fun so let people have fun with it Jeez.

30. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (95) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

Exactly... and it will probably sell just fine with everyone who appreciates that sentiment. Like Preluderl said earlier, Rogue is doing just fine and doing something very right. The majority of BAs forget that they are a huge minority in the craft beer market. I know a lot of people who enjoy craft from time to time, but aren't aware of hype or BeerAdvocate. Those people are buy on marketing and word of mouth alone. Not to mention that 95% of you all will probably try this anyways...

31. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

Please tell me they didn't use pages from their first edition printing???? Stupid!

32. What a gimmick

33. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (325) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

To be drank whenever it is damp drizzly November in the soul before deliberately stepping into the street and methodically knocking people's hats off.

34. tlacott1

tlacott1 Aficionado (130) Maryland Jun 16, 2012

i think i read this about 5 times just to make sure i didn't misread anything....i didn't

35. Another gimmick to get people to pay 10 or 12 bucks for a shitty beer.

YogiBeer likes this.
  36. Is this serious...? What an awful idea.

37. the only problem i hae with this idea is that everyone knows books arent going to taste good. The maple bacon dougnut made sense because everyone loves those doughnuts. Beer is made for consumption, therefore why wouldd you put something in beer that shouldnt be consumed? They could have put a edible thing in the beer to commemerate moby dick, so people could actually drink it and not have just sit on their shelf.

38. In a word...STUPID.

Dear Rogue, I used to not hate you, why are so hellbent on changing that?

39. As we speak, I'm chewing on a (signed) 1st edition 'Charlie Papazian Joy of Homebrewing' and washing it down with WetHop Pale Ale homebrew. Gotta say, they pair well!

Brunite likes this.
  40. jdklks

jdklks Savant (375) Nevada Aug 9, 2007

For those of you asking "what the fuck?" about putting pages from the book in, it was a symbolic act. If you read books, you would know what symbolism is. That of course does not change the fact that the idea is stupid beyond repair and Rogue (followed closely by DFH) continues to lead the craft beer world in gimmicky creations. They've gone so far they may be stepping on Miller's toes soon.