1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rogue Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JohnMaier, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Pretty sure there is only one batch of that made (I and everybody on my block didn't like it at all) Perhaps a little time has mellowed out the bacon grease factor. That said, I'll give the new one a go when it's available here in Newport.
  2. HighWine

HighWine Savant (320) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Rogue's chocolate stouts, Yellow Snow IPA, and Shakespeare Stout are all fantastic. Try those.
  3. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Chocolate Stout
    Dad's Little Helper Black IPA
    Double Chocolate Stout
    Dead Guy
    Double Dead Guy
    Hazelnut Brown Nectar
    OREgasmic Ale
    Pumpkin Patch Ale
    XS Russian Imperial Stout

All pretty traditional "normal" beers and all delicious. Fail for you.
    checktherhyme and Brad007 like this.
  4. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Quite surprised to scroll down and find more love than hate for rogue...guess it took the headbrewer of rogue to post this in order to not get a bunch of hate, had someone else posted it, this thing would be a shit show....

As usual, I won't be purchasing this as I don't support them, but if someone offered it to me, I'd give it a whirl.
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  5. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Hmmm Well I do have a certain fondness for that doughnut and I love all those ingredients so I'm certainly on board with this one.

I just hope the price is sort of reasonable and sales aren't by the case only
    DonDirkA likes this.
  6. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (295) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

Maybe were just spoiled up here, but half that list is average at best and the other half is made with natural flavoring (which is not traditional or normal). Then we can get into price comparisons, list examples of each of those styles that cost half as much, and theres not even a point in saying they make a good IPA until they decide to bottle date.
  7. I've been tempted to try again as well. I was talking about my maple bacon experience to one of the employees at my local Binny's He said it was worth another try; that Rogue had "re-tuned" the recipe. Must be true . . .
  8. Think I will stay away!
    Spamsammich and skinsfan like this.
  9. I had the Chatoe Pumpkin Patch last weekend. In so far as beers go, it was good, but for the style, it was the best I've ever had. I don't know that'd I'd spend $8 for another bomber though. Maybe next year. Old Crustacean is my favorite BW, and it's hard to beat the Shakespeare Stout. The Mocha Porter is excellent, though there are about a handful of porters I'd rather have, namely Black Butte. Dead Guy can be hit or miss. When it hits, it's beautiful.
  10. on a temporary timeout from the rogue bashing/defending... does anyone know when this is actually slated to hit distribution?
    franklinn likes this.
  11. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

I like how the OP is only going to post once
    Spamsammich and JustinQ like this.
  12. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (860) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Sounds tasty. I thought Maple Bacon was incredibly ambitious and bold, and I always applaud experimentation. I'll definitely try this one if I can get my hands on it.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  13. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

why not? i didnt like the bacon one but this sounds interesting. bananas, chocolate and peanut butter...sounds promising (possibly).
    cavedave likes this.
  14. I actually looked for the new Rogue Voodoo today, with no success. I am probably looking too soon.
  15. pumpkin patch goes for 14.99 here in pa. would definitely pick up a couple if they were only $8. very good pumpkin beer.
  16. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

I'm actually really looking forward to trying this! Love me some peanut butter and bananas..
    I didn't think mint would taste so good in a stout, and was blown away by Stone's mint chocolate imp stout.
    Anyone know when this is slated to hit shelves?
  17. imo they definitely tweaked it, ( awaits confirmation from beer gods ).

Anyone on here know for sure? nudge nudge Todd *cough cough*
  18. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

That's what I'm saying! It was an awesome pumpkin ale (immediately pushed into the top contender position) but its 11.99 here. If I could get it for 8 instead of 12 I'd jump on like 2 or 3 more right now.
  19. JustinQ

JustinQ Savant (305) California Nov 24, 2011

This is my mindset with the beers I brew. When I started I wanted to do all the experimental stuff. Now it just seems like a waste of time and money. I would take a Greatly crafted Traditional ale or lager, over a Donut beer ANY day. Not talking down on John Maier in any way, He does some ok stuff. But yea, You have to be able to brew "real" beer before you have a chance at success with the crazy stuff
    Spamsammich likes this.
  20. Family guy reference?
  21. Shakespeare - 94 rating on 1,480 reviews.
    Hazelnut Nectar - 91 rating on 1,259 reviews.
    Chocolate Stout - 94 rating on 1,767 reviews.
    Morimoto Imperial Pilsner - 91 rating on 312 reviews.
    Brutal Bitter - 91 rating on 10,27 reviews.
    IIPA - 92 rating on 747 reviews.
    Old Crustacean - 90 rating on 676 reviews.
    Dead Guy - 89 rating on 2,144 reviews.
    Imperial Stout - 91 rating on 809 reviews.
    etc, etc, etc.

Sounds like he makes better than ok "real" beer to me.
  22. Props to John for being at Rogue for 25 years. His Skull Splitter was a revelation when no one knew what a Cascadian Dark Ale was at the time.
  23. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Will try this one for sure, as a homebrewer I want to try all the possibilities, especially ones, like this, that I never would have dreamed of doing.

Rogue takes shit on this site for a lot of things, almost like Magic Hat does, and deservedly in some cases, but let's face it, Rogue was putting fine beer on shelf in styles most folks had never heard of nor tried, and at a time when most of our other American brewers were in fourth grade, and they are still out there competing in the arena they helped construct. Dead Guy Ale, a maibock ferrpitysake, and Shakespeare Stout have stood the test of time and many reviews, and still shine as beacons of excellence in their styles though many have tried knocking them down the hill.

Cheers to still pushing the envelope all these years later.
  24. So much this.
  25. I seem to be in the minority, but I enjoyed VMBD. It was far smokier than I expected, but as a fan of Rauchbier I enjoyed it.
    Keep brewing for you and lets us in on your genius/madness and I'll be gracious to try them with an open mind appreciative of the process.
  26. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Never understood any hate for Rogue or any other brewer for that matter.
    They make beer. Really? How can you hate anyone or anything associated with that. Like driving a beer truck. Can't crash it.
    Drink what you want and leave the rest alone.
    NABS and obrike like this.
  27. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I honestly can't understand why anyone would go after the brewmaster for brewery's business practices. I don't know all the inner workings at Rogue, but I generally think of the brewmaster as the creative influence of a brewery. There is no way would make the claim that John does not make some good beer. It's not like the mainstay of Rogue's line up is experimental in nature either. People really make some serious generalizations over Voodoo. I will say that I do not buy a lot of Rogue offerings, but mainly because I find other offerings fit better within my beer budget.
    vthippie likes this.
  28. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (355) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Fail for you. Consider that people have different tastes, and what you find delicious, he may find "middle of the road."
  29. Myst279

Myst279 Aspirant (25) Nov 17, 2012

What exactly makes a beer normal? In my personal beer drinking experience, beer is exciting because there are so many different individual recipes and styles out there. Even if you find a few favorites, that doesn't take away from making beer an adventure and trying something completely new.... and possibly awful.... or great.
    sinstaineddemon likes this.
  30. Can't understand why more brewers don't feel inclined to post on this site more often.....some of you should have a Snickers break, ya'll got sand in your vaginas.
    :(
    NABS, obrike and DonDirkA like this.
  31. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

it IS a great donut - but so was maple bacon..
    travismiller80 and JohnB87 like this.
  32. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

I work at a mom and pop shop in point pleasent nj and the support from rogue was awesome. This year alone we've done over 20 cases of voodoo bacon maple ale shipped directly to us from you guys! Hope this brew comes out tasting just as well!
    checktherhyme likes this.
  33. effyeaAB

effyeaAB Aficionado (160) New York May 28, 2012

Taking into consideration that Rogue has been brewing for the last 25 years I honestly believe the team over there has earned the full right to produce whatever beer they chose to brew.

People calling them out and saying they should concentrate on making "good" beer are exhibiting ignorance and an overall lack of respect not just to John whom is being really cool for sharing information with us on here but to one of the breweries that has paved the way to help make the craft beer community what it is today.
    NABS, DonDirkA and obrike like this.
  34. Just when I think you couldn't get any crazier, you totally redeem yourself!
    NABS likes this.
  35. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

k..bananas are are good.Bacon is good. Maple is good, peanut butter is good..but where do you draw the line?I work as a chef, and been an assistant brewer the past year...sometimes less is more..
    I like experimental beers and food..but I'm not going to brew a teriyaki shrimp honey blueberry truffle lemon captain crunch bacon beer just because I like all of the ingredients
  36. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

I loved the Bacon Maple Ale and I have had every single Rogue offering that could be found around here.

Haters are going to hate I guess.
  37. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

I DONT THINK SO!
  38. obrike

obrike Savant (415) Texas Jun 19, 2009

perfect...just perfect.

itsthepleats and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  39. BGsWo22

BGsWo22 Savant (445) New York Sep 21, 2012

Did I really see that someone likes Yellow Snow?

I am really looking forward to the redemption expected by the Peanut Butter Voodoo Doughnut. The Bacon Maple I had was like drinking liquid smoke, although it smelled amazing and the bottle I have still smells amazing.

Hopefully it lives up to the name and also Double Dead GUy
  40. Check post # 62. If one thinks Rogue's traditional offerings are "the middle of the road" it doesn't make one wrong, but it does make one in the minority. That those ratings are that high despite all the flack Rogue gets on here makes those ratings all the more meaningful.
    Rathakem and cavedave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.