1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rogue Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JohnMaier, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPMomutant

DPMomutant Savant (355) Missouri Feb 10, 2004

I'm not against trying such experimental beers, could indeed be interesting. But at the price point of the bacon maple beer I've not been able to pull the trigger. I can only afford to buy so much beer. If it gets reduced to about 8-9 bucks (in MO) maybe but not at 13 bucks. Maybe put these into bombers instead of (admittedly cool-looking) swingtops?
  2. DPMomutant

DPMomutant Savant (355) Missouri Feb 10, 2004

Dead Guy literally brought me to this site many years ago. I had enjoyed some Sam Adams and Boulevard offerings but trying Dead Guy really made me look into what beer could be.

I have to agree on the price points though. The beers are still solid but the bang for the buck makes them only an occasional purchase at this time.
  3. Amen to that brother!!
  4. I haven't had any beers by Rogue yet. IMO there are much better sounding and higher rated beers out there.
    Spamsammich likes this.
  5. Exactly.

People say "Oh you should let them brew what they want, they've been in the business for so many years." blah blah blah blah... It's their right. I agree with that.

No problem. They could brew Chocolate Taint Cherry Pop Tart Ale for all I care.

And it's my right to call them idiots, point and laugh, then drink something that is actually good.

*shrug*

All a matter of opinion and point of view.
  6. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

Since when is not liking a certain beer by a brewery considered 'Hating'. Guess what people, every brewery makes a shit beer that is not liked by the masses. I personally thought that VMBD was not very good, especially for the price...but that doesnt mean I will never purchase another Rogue beer ever again. For 15.99 (which is our local shelf price), there are a slew of better beers to try. Also, like most people, when CPBB comes out, if it comes out at the same price point, I will probably pass on it because again, for that price point, there are a ton of better beers out there.
    Brunite and cavedave like this.
  7. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Looks like I'm on a mission.

8. Even my son knows better.....lemme guess, 26-35 demographic, right?
  9. Wow... obvious troll is obvious.

Guess again. And while you're at it, go back to the Anime boards where there are more of your kind.
  10. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

18-25

I'd drink it ;)
  11. No man, just a new guy to the boards, trying to figure out which part of your posts are "respect beer" and which part is "beer advocate"?
    cmmcdonn, cavedave and MusicaleMike like this.
  12. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

This dude right here. So mad. Knock a few back and unwind.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  13. jon2465

jon2465 Zealot (75) New York Jan 1, 2011

dont think ive ever seen a more ignorant statement.....ive never had ANY but it sucks...sorry dude think before u type
    WynnO likes this.
  14. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Just let him live out his life not knowing how delicious hazelnut nectar is.
  15. im going to go out on a limb and make a prediction here,. its going to be amazing but tons of people are gonna bitch that its too sweet and its gonna get drain poured just like a grip of people have done with pumpking and creme brule. then back and forth bitching will commence(not enough hops chocolate peanuts banana etc), someone will blend it with bacon maple, which will then become the greatest drink concoction EVER and everyone whose had a stick in their ass about trying weird beers will curl up in a corner fetal position as their tounges separate from their bodys to seek out the amazingness brought forth from the beer gods to initiate the end of the world.

i could be totally wrong though....

keep up the good work at Rogue and much respect to a great brewery that likes to get weird!
  16. Amen!!!!
  17. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

29 GABF medals spanning mainstream and off-beat styles is reason enough to give their beers a try. Of course, not everyone has to love 'em all, but the general ill-regard among so many BAs is surprising and suggests to me something other than enjoyable beers adventures is to blame.
  18. Chris_Cali_2o9

Chris_Cali_2o9 Aficionado (245) Nov 18, 2012

The maple bacon was pretty good, a little too smokey, but all and all a very interesting brew. My only good brew source in my area is up in Sac about an hour and a half away. I was there the other day, stocking up, and saw the maple bacon but didn't buy it. Frankly, there were better beer to buy that i had not tried. I most say though i am really excited about the peanut/banana voodoo and if it's in my area, i'll definitely be picking it up!

I'm torn when it comes to Rogue, it's almost like i WANT them to be better then they are. They're very hit and miss when it comes to my palate. Just ordered old crustacean and john john dead guy and i'm hoping i get my hands on the new voodoo!

Hopefully, they're all hits!
  19. When did craft beer enthusiasts start acting like wine snobs?

The fuck is wrong with some people... christ don't take things so seriously. Beer is meant to be enjoyed and respected. That's all. Sure debate about flavor and quality all you wish but when it comes down to it some people will like things that others don't. That doesn't mean their opinion is in any way wrong or invalid, nor does it mean your preferred beer is superior to theirs.

And go ahead, point and laugh at Rogue while you drink your "good" beer. They're too busy being one of the most successful craft breweries of all time to pay attention to such closed minded, pissant, ignorant comments in a thread in a forum on a website on the internet.

Also, the beer world would be pretty damn boring if it weren't for new, off the wall innovative ideas. Why stick to tradition when you can experiment and make something new? I'm sure Belgian brewmasters didn't hear alot of "YOU ADDED CHERRIES TO YOUR BEER!? FUCK YOU!" when kriek's came to be..
  20. Yeah, where is that guy from DFH? Sam? Over rated beers? Sam?
  21. this exactly!
    matthaslaservision likes this.
  22. It's for sale on their website.
  23. It was my most expensive drain pour ever!! Thanks Rogue!!
  24. As a home brewer doing 5 gallon batches I won't give my shitty beer out........
  25. Hopefully this one is better then that pink bottle crap.
  26. claspada

claspada Advocate (630) New Jersey Sep 27, 2007

Are you referring to the new Banana Voodoo or the older Bacon version?
  27. Bacon Maple
  28. CNR76

CNR76 Aficionado (120) California Apr 18, 2012

Had to just out of curiosity......

[​IMG]
    Chris_Cali_2o9 and DonDirkA like this.
  29. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

IMHO, that beer just doesn't sound appealing at all.
  30. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Well, Elvis would drink it, so why the hell wouldn't I? ;)
  31. And?
  32. Here is a list of beers made by Rogue that hold a score of 90+ points with more than a hundred reviews:

Chocolate Stout
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/1118
    Double Chocolate Stout
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/60694
    Shakespeare Stout
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/56973
    XS Imperial IPA
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/358
    Imperial Stout
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/356
    Morimoto Imperial Pilsner
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/12690
    Hazelnut Brown Nectar
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/1339
    Brutal Bitter
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/361
    Chatoe Rogue Black Lager
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/54929
    XS Old Crustacean
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/2965
  33. CNR76

CNR76 Aficionado (120) California Apr 18, 2012

I meant had to pick it up today when I saw it on the shelf. I will be cracking it open amongst other beers on Thanksgiving. Have to have enough people around to share it.
  34. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I think DFH might have beat them to it on that one!
  35. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (640) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

Consider yourself lucky then.
  36. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

With all due respect...that and 6 bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

Taste is always subjective. If we as a group can not agree on that, we are just having pissing matches. That said; the poster you quoted said that "in his opinion", their stuff is middle of the road. That is his opinion. He is not wrong because 100+ people somewhere disagree with him. I happen to agree with him. I have no bias regarding Rogue; but, I do do find their stuff (outside of Chocolate Stout) pretty meh and pretty overpriced relative to what "I" consider better options on the shelf. Taste subjectivity/preference and differences of opinion are the point of this site. Otherwise; every beer would be rated the same by everyone and their would be little point the the reviews section. Just saying...
  37. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

Any post with the word "pissant" always deserves a like.
    matthaslaservision and Brunite like this.
  38. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

Obviously, these links are scewed by the liberal media....lol
    Kuemmelbrau and DonDirkA like this.
  39. Probably one of if not the best response in this thread.

It does seem that craft beer enthusiasts have taken on the mindset of wine snobs. I mean, I am often times described to domestic swill drinkers as a beer snob, and I have no problem with it. Our little "fraternity" of craft beer drinkers seems to have forgotten pushing the boundaries is what makes this niche so exciting. Everyone has different tastes, why else would new styles continue to pop up year after year. I commend the brewers willing to step out on a liimb...granted I don't always like their offerings, but I am sure there are just as many people out there that appreciate the beers I choose not to drink.
  40. The really off-the-wall beers aren't for me, but I don't see why anyone would begrudge a brewery the right to make and sell them. If people will buy the beer, then it's up to the brewer to establish whether or not it's worthwhile to keep producing it.

Rogue isn't a favorite of mine, but Dead Guy is great and was one of the first "wow" moments I had with beer. A friend of mine described Dead Guy as, "What I thought beer would taste like when I first learned what beer was". I also really enjoyed the Morimoto Imperial Pilsner, and my fiancee loves the Honey Wheat.

If you don't like a beer, don't buy it. Going out of your way to post negatively about that beer or its brewer helpes noone.
    BillyCannon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.