1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rogue Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JohnMaier, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feelin the love!

and well said :)

ncstateplaya and Giovannilucano like this.
  2. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

People will hate regardless of how well you try to convince them other wise.

Whether or not if you care to believe it or think it matters, consider where Rogue is: in the Pacific Northwest, a place of enjoyment, freedom, and enjoyment. This is reflected in how the beer tastes.

My buddy IS Rogue til he dies! He is a East coast born guy but his soul is from the West: the hippie looking dude who just wants to enjoy life. And Rogue helps him do that.

My wife, and I, and my buddy including his lady, all enjoyed the Voodoo Maple Bacon, and will continue to do so.

It is really time to fight back those who disrespect Rogue and Jon who has worked so hard for each of us. I have seen the regional battle ensue between breweries and the loyal fans of each, and it is great to see someone love their Midwestern offerings just as someone loves their West or East coast!

And for good measure since I am randy, I will always love my Italian craft too no matter what anyone says!

MMM BACON!

3. Saw this on shelves today...I really wish I could try the real donut to compare it to but i'll probably buy it anyway. Glad I never fell into the maple bacon trap lol but this one looks reasonable.

And to whoever said "just cuz someone else's opinion is different that it isn't wrong" you could not be more wrong. I am ALWAYS right. ;)
    I actually don't know how valid I am anymore since I thought this hibiscus beer was not bad.

Just kidding. Cheers and goodmorning.

theCoder likes this.
  4. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

HA, I got looks from friends when I first made my wheat beer that I age on Rhubarb then they tried it. Now I get requests for it constantly. Then just recently they gave me REAL weird and actually semi-frightened looks when I told them I threw in a pound of 100% Cacao Chocolate, 1lb of coffee and 6 mediumish chopped seeds and all habaneros into a Stout I made. Again, then they tried it and its awesome at first when they try this one because it smells of chocolate with bits of coffee and a fruity spice you can't put your finger on, and you try it with a wonderful silkiness about it and a gradual flavorful spicy burn in the end that lingers but due to careful and semi-lucky guestimate on time to leave the habaneros in the boil it doesn't smoke your ass out. Easily the best beer I've made just edging out my Cherry Winter Warmer (which will be getting bottled here in a week :-D )

5. Giovannilucano

My buddy just ordered 10 of these from the website! Yipee!

6. Not sure whether or not to say congratulations, or my condolences... J/K, I want to try it, but not sure I can go all in on 10 bottles, thats for sure.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  7. Trap? I don't think you have any room to speak unless you've tried it. Who knows, you might hate it... or you might actually like it. It's a polarizing beer, that's for certain.

Dennoman likes this.
  8. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Poor Rogue just can't seem to catch a break with whatever they try and release. Maybe they should age their next stout on bourbon barrels, add ghost chili, mint, dried bacon powder and a crapton of other novelty ingredients and then wax seal and hand number 5,000 bottles. Overday insta-whale.

9. I love that if anyone but the brewer himself posted this, the shitstorm would be hitting deep cold and warm fronts, but since the man himself posted it everyone lines up to grip the purple raiment and kiss the sacerdotal rings.

I would buy this if Funky Buddha had a hand in it, but being one of those teeming disappointed masses who traded for multiples of the Voodoo Bacon on the release day, I will just wait until this is marked down and old at the local Bevmo.

libbey likes this.
  10. Giovannilucano

Well my buddy is the most mellow fellow ever, and he loves Rogue very much, so he collects the bottles too.

11. Amazing the effect that seems to have, isn't it?

And for the love of god, can we stop saying 'hating'? I'm no big fan of Rogue, but that does not mean I hate them. Having tried enough of their stuff that ran the gamut from really good to mediocre to just plain bad, they're just not a place that makes that much of a blip on the radar anymore. I appreciate that they brought BAs in at one point, and that they continue to do different things, but so much of what they do now seems marketing driven that to me personally it's a turn off. More often than not, I'll look right past them and buy something else.

That's not hate, it's just learned disinterest.

Schwantz and ehammond1 like this.
  12. You're 100% right. I'm just basing that off everything i've heard and from my roommate. I just don't want to spend that much on it in case I don't like it. I'm super down to try the new one though!

13. Another awesome spin of the rhetorical black circle is painting any disinterest as opposition to innovation. Hill Farmstead innovates all the time, and their beers come out amazing. As long as the latter is preserved, you can innovate all you want. Brewdog would be the converse of this and I would rather smash my dick in a car door than drink a majority of their innovations.

Rogue presents awesome beers, great depictions of style, solid marketing and a huge distribution network to ensure that I can have something great like Shakespeare Stout at Yardhouse instead of some janky hef with produce in it. Every brewery including Rogue has a Black Lotus in their deck, I am just not giving up 3 mana to be trampled upon.

libbey and ehammond1 like this.
  14. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Roughly what % of those 20 cases were purchased by a bunch of Jersey Shore TV show type ladies who knew little about craft beer but really dug the pink bottle? Yeah Buddy! Beware the Meatballs!

15. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

probably about 33% but the beer was hard to come by in my area so it was a nice treat

16. This sounds delicious and i would love to try this. i am hoping that it comes around harrisburg in a 750ml.

17. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Show a little respect!

18. Have you had any of their non novelty beers? they are actually not bad.

19. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (260) California Feb 14, 2011

Especially with a name like youbrewidrink. Stfu.

jhartley likes this.
  20. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I hate bananas. Not interested. Credit for being innovative nonetheless.

By the way, thread starter. Please bring back Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor. Cheers.

21. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Somebody brought me one over the holidaytimefunfest. i thought it was delicious.

22. Just a little bit!

Yeaaaah baby!

23. JOrtt

JOrtt Savant (345) California Dec 20, 2012

I might be new to this but I like some of Rouge's offerings. I'm not a fan of the Bacon Maple, but I will give the Banana chocolate peanut butter a try. I've wasted more money in a strip club...so why not:)

Ford and 2beerdogs like this.
  24. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Save it for the strip club. This beer was awful. Tasted like aspirin and chemicals.

25. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I would try this if it were only for the minus of banana which is something I normally have an aversion to.

I really did dig though the regular Voodoo Doughnut! (Donut for all those Canucks!).... It was one of my favorite ambush beers in 2012!

26. Chrixsus

Chrixsus Savant (325) Illinois Dec 13, 2011

I'm comin' out of left-field to say...

Santa's Private Reserve is GRRR-EAT!!!

I didn't mind Voodoo Maple Doughnut, a solid smoked brew with a nice bit of maple sweetness...just too thin in the body and need to dial back on all the smoked malts. However, I couldn't see myself having another unless I was up north at a giant waffle breakfast or something. Another reason not to have another would be the WAY TOO HIGH PRICE. I can't get anything from Rogue without spending $10+...it was over $13 for the 6 pk. of Santa's Private Reserve! Voodoo Maple is a ridiculous buy at $12 for a 25 oz. bottle. Risk on experimental brew does not equal its cost.

(And I find it slightly humorous that the Alstrom Bros. have yet to enter an official review for either this new beer or Maple Bacon...would love your thoughts guys!)

p.s. John...please lower the price of your beer so I don't have to think twice about buying it...especially the experimental ones that we don't know if we'll like or not. Thanks!

2beerdogs likes this.
  27. What?! My brain might explode. Please tell me it will be distributed in Florida. I like the Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon beer, and want to try this next one. My only disappointment: it doesn't come in a yellow painted bottle.

28. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Rogue's Nut Brown is a really good beer.. I didn't have the maple bacon... but I want to try this new one.

29. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Oh I totally keep forgetting this but I love your White Rum and your Spruce Gin is real solid too John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.