1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Rookie needs advice on grain and specific gravity

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Koipond, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Koipond

Koipond Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2012

Did my fourth batch last night. Made a Bell's Two Hearted IPA clone. Couple of questions:
    1. My starting specific gravity was 1.061 but the specs on the recipes stated that the starting gravity should be 1.068. What happened to cause the difference.
    2. The recipe called for 1 lb of grain. What would happen if i used 2lbs instead of just one.

2. Did you use some liquid extract instead of dry?
    If so, the steeping grain was mostly for flavor and color...not sugar

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Regarding the difference in OG, there are a few possibilities. Did you end up with a larger volume of wort than expected? If this was a partial boil, were the wort and the top-off water mixed well? Did you adjust your OG reading for temperature?

Regarding the grain question... assume this was 1 lb of steeped grains? If so, more grains would give more flavor, more (maybe) body, and more sugars (higher OG).

HerbMeowing likes this.
  4. If you do a partial boil and add water, I like to add less than the amount to make 5 gal and check gravity. You can always add more water to lower the gravity.

5. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

Once I figured out I had to correct for temp, my gravity readings became much closer to what the recipe said they should be. Very easy to overlook.