1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Room Temperature Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AwYeh, Mar 6, 2012.

?

Room temperature beer?

1. Yes please, any style

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Just big beers

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Just dark beers

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Just big or dark beers

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  5. Never

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. AwYeh

AwYeh Savant (275) Ohio Sep 29, 2010

Tonight I had to make the choice between a room temperature Racer 5 or no beer, and after a pretty easy decision and to my own surprise I'm enjoying the beer almost as much as I would be if it was cooler; I'm not sure that I'm enjoying tasting it or the mouthfeel quite as much, but the smell seems vastly improved/more complex. Not reviewing it as such, since I do prefer it more overall at the recommended temperatures and especially with the chance to see how it changes as the temperature does.

This is probably fairly common with bigger beers and some Belgian styles/sours, but I'm curious to see if anyone has any particular feelings on drinking "lighter" styles (or for the sake of the thread, any styles) at higher temperatures? Google cache of old BA threads didn't seem to say much about the lighter ones.

2. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I always serve my IPAs cold. Not ice cold. Probably about 45 degrees. As it warms over about 30 minutes while I drink it, I notice more and more flavor and aroma.

With my barley/wheat wines, I serve those cellar temp which is 54 for me. stout it about the same at 60.

I agree with you about enjoying it more. I usually drink the majority of it once it has warmed to about 50+ above fridge temps. I get more aroma and that nice piney resinous flavor.

....now im thirsty ;)

3. bastu

bastu Savant (280) Tennessee May 5, 2011

I would have thrown it in the freezer for 30 min. I prefer to pour my beers at fridge temp and let them warm up in the glass.

NoLeafClover44 likes this.
  4. A lot of English ales have character when they approach room temperature.

5. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

For my tastes room temp is too warm for most beers and fridge temp is too cold, I generally prefer my beer somewhere in between, around cellar temp.

6. I rarely except in high summer keep beer in a fridge, a cool cupboard under the stairs seems just about perfect.Not that I drink many bottles anyway but I can't live in a pub!!!

7. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

ive been drinking a lot of beer at room temp or cellar temp. I just seem to enjoy it more for the big beers.

8. I prefer to drink porters and stouts at room temp. Everything else I like some chill on.

9. cellar temp would be perfect for me. Fridge is fine too take a few sips and let it warm up before i finish it.

10. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (370) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

I drink every beer cold but let darker beers warm up to see how they change.

11. Cr0wBait

Cr0wBait Aficionado (170) Florida Feb 17, 2012

Considering ambient temperature here is about 70F, no, I do not. I put them in the refrigerator (the time in there is determined by the beer) and if it needs it, let it warm and breathe in my glass.

12. tsauce2

tsauce2 Savant (440) Indiana Oct 12, 2011

I personally like to start with a slightly chilled beer, but I find that as a beer approaches room temp, a lot of flavors really start to manifest that would otherwise go unnoticed.

The Brits are all about room temp beers, and the first time I went there is when my eyes were really opened up to this fact.

If it's a choice between room temp beer and no beer at all, mosdef room temp beer is in the glass.

13. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I much prefer the cellar temp which is generally about 20degrees cooler than room temp is we count room temp at 75.

Cheers!

14. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

I usually pull my brews out of the fridge, sip slowly for a while.... then gulp them down when they warm up!

15. Room temp is just a little too warm for the majority of beers out there. It may open up some further complexities, but that comes at a cost.

16. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

I've never been served room temp beer in Britian, I've been served many cellar temp beers, but that about 15-20 degrees cooler than room temp. Cask ale, for example, is generally served around 50-55 degrees F. This is certainly warmer than fridge temp, but it's significantly cooler than room temp IMO.

Graeme24 likes this.
  17. Like many others who have posted in this thread, I prefer most beers at cellar temp. For the sake of convenience, I keep my beer in the fridge, let it sit out a little before pouring, then drink it slowly so the majority of the beer is consumed around cellar temp.

18. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (335) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I'm in agreement with most of the folks in the thread. Cellar temp is pretty much perfect for most styles in my opinion. Room temperature make bring out some additional complexities but it also intensifies the alcohol in big beers which can get distracting in certain cases.

19. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

I've never needed a beer so bad I couldn't wait for it to chill ib freezer, but if you gotta drink that minute, why not go for a spirit?

20. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I could drink anything at room temperature, but I prefer pale ales and some small-strength beers a little colder. Either way, it'll warm up in the glass pretty quick.

21. I like my IPA's, and lighter beers to be around 45 when I open it, and then let it warm up while I drink it. Stouts and other big beers I drink at cellar temp (52 for me). I really cant think of a single time I would want a room temperature beer. Maybe Sam Adams Utopias of something. 70 degrees is just too warm for my taste.

22. Cellar temperature for some beers, but room temperature only as a last resort. I can always put it in the freezer and wait 15-20 minutes.

23. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Fridge temp (cold) for IPAs, APAs, lagers etc.
    Cellar temp for most everything else
    I enjoy noting the changes of many beers (especially stronger, maltier ones) over a pretty wide temperature spectrum, but by the time they come up to true room temp I start to enjoy most beers a lot less.

24. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

My beer fridge is on the coldest setting. I have no idea what that yields in terms of temperature. I drink everything straight from the fridge with the following exceptions:

RIS and BA RIS are in dark cellar and served at cellar temp
    Porters and stouts I let sit for 20 or so minutes after pulling from fridge

I would not contemplate a warm pale ale in any of its forms (british, american, double)

25. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (550) Florida Sep 13, 2011

I try to drink every beer I try at room tempature at least once. I like to let them warm up and taste/smell the difference. Most beers flavors and aromas come out more the warmer they get I've noticed. I've done this with IPAs, DIPAs, RIS, Bocks, Pilsners, APA, Sours, Wheat ales, etc. I think it's definitely worth it to warm up the last 3 or 4 ounces of your brew to see the difference.

26. I rarely ever chill stouts/barleywines/porters.....wilds I like a bit chilled, but IPAs/Pales/Saisons for me need to be pretty cold.

27. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

I started kegging my homebrew about a year ago, and because my keg fridge also doubles as a lager fermentation chamber, I sometimes have the opportunity to drink the same beer at temps ranging from 50F down to 32 as temps get adjusted for various phases of the fermentation and lagering process. It's remarkable how much difference temperature makes. Generally, malt flavors tend to fade the colder the beer gets, with the result that a beer can taste more bitter below 40 or so. Aromas also tend to disappear as you get colder. As a result, I like my beers warmer than most people seem to. Big malty beers I like just a bit below room temperature. Porters are much better if served about 50, IMO. 45-50 is good for most styles, and I don't like to go much below that, except maybe for a pils or helles.

28. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

I like my IPA's nice and chilly. Same goes for DIPAs and bitters. Stouts I serve at cellar temp or let it warm for a short time.

29. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I don't know if I'd say room temp. Depends on how hot the room is. But I always let my beers warm up a bit. I like them cool, not cold. And I can definitely drink a stout or barley wine with out any refrigeration.

And I love me some cask ale as well!

30. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

I usually enjoy the ride from fridge temp to room temp, it's amazing how much a beer's flavor and aroma changes with temperature. So I usually don't START at room temp but it almost always ends up there (especially a large format bottle). Given the choice between room temp and no beer I'd definitely go room temp, almost every good beer benefits from being warmer versus colder.

31. i like most brews slightly chilled @ about 50 degrees

32. i poured a Bigfoot at room temp, and it tastes phenomenal.

33. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

I'm gonna agree with the crowd: 50-55 is just about perfect for any beer you actually want to taste (bring out the liquid nitrogen for Natty Ice). A lot of beers are just fine at room temp, but sometimes it can almost ruin a good beer. I had a Founders IS at room temp the other day, and it was actually somewhat unpleasant and I couldn't get any of the decadent, amazing flavor that's present 20 degrees cooler.

34. I have never had a room temperature beer and I would like to keep it that way.

35. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

what if you lived in a walk in cooler

36. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

IPAs are pretty good at room temp, pretty much the only style for me, that being said i tend to drink beer warmer than most people. Unless it is an adjunct lager, i let those suckers mature in the freezer for at least 2 hours before consuming. And when I mean room temp i don't nesiscarily mean 70.

37. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

ipas can be spectacular at room temp, especially stuff like ruination, it is like drinking gatorade, quenches your thirst so fast.

38. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (645) Texas Jun 29, 2011

I drank three different tripels at Brewberry in Paris at their room temp and I had no problem with it. They tasted great.
    When at home I cool off all my beer atleast a little bit and have been known to pull ipas straight out of the fridge for consumption.

39. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I voted for big beers only, then remembered I love a good cask beer, even if it isn't big at all, and which is usually in the 55-60 range, which would be a fairly cool room.