1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Root vegetable chili

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Providence, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hey all, I made a veggie chili last night and it came out absolutely amazing. I just thought I'd share it with you all.

1 Large sweet potato, 1 large parsnip, 1 can of corn, 1 1/2 cups of cooked red kidney beans, 1 1/2 cups of cooked black beans, one 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes, a clove of garlic, a whole mess of spices (lots of chili powder, cumin, black pepper, white pepper, oregano, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, paprika, and of course salt).

And....one 12 oz bottle of Long Trail Hibernator (which is a Scottish Ale).
  2. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

that's not chili, that's vegetable soup!
    commis and Bakker like this.
  3. Thank you for sharing! Sounds delicious! Making me hungry...;)
  4. Oh damn, I forgot to mention that there was a big ol' onion in there and a red bell pepper.
  5. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (925) Maine Sep 17, 2005

This looks good. I'm going to try it this week.
  6. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Ah, I love me some parsnips! It's perfect (vegan) chili weather out here too.
  7. Adamshmadam

Adamshmadam Aspirant (45) Georgia Jul 8, 2012

Whoa are there other vegetarian/vegan people here too? I'll have to try parsnips in my chili next time. But when I think chili I think pale ale. How was the scotch ale with the chili?
  8. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Ah the "what is" chili debate begins... ;)
  9. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (925) Maine Sep 17, 2005

Well, it took me longer than I thought it would, but I finally tried your recipe. I couldn't resist tweaking it a little. I substituted pinto beans for the kidney beans and black beans, and added a can of lima beans. For the chili powder I used equal amounts of ancho, guajillo, and chile de arbol. I also used a smoked paprika.
    Anyway, the result was very well received by my family.
    Thanks for the recipe.
  10. Your alterations sound delicious! I'm glad everyone enjoyed.

Salute!