1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

RS exclusive bottles

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by MCDub, Apr 2, 2013.

1. MCDub

MCDub Savant (310) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

I will be traveling to LA for work next week and will finally get a chance to go to my favorite brewery: The Bruery. I want to make the most of my chance (and probably only chance) to visit. I am testing the waters here to see if there is a BA out there that will either A) meet me at The Bruery to help me acquire some RS exclusive bottles or B) meet me in LA somewhere to make an exchange for RS exclusive bottles. The former is preferred.

2. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

Maybe you should post what you are looking for, and what you have to offer?

3. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (270) California Sep 10, 2011

Sounds like he wants a favor of just buying them for him, but that's just me speculatively speaking.

4. MCDub

That's the ideal situation. I won't be able to bring much to trade unless of course I had stuff shipped out to the hotel. Just seeing if there is a BA out there willing to help out. Whether I do or not is fine, I'll still buy a hell of a lot of beer and have a good time at the brewery. I would like to be able to ship back something special though.

All that being said, if someone did help and gave me their address they could expect a steady stream of shipments for quite awhile.

5. Unfortunately, unless you're meeting somebody picking up a boatload of allocations, there aren't exactly a lot of reserve bottles that you can just pick up and crack open at the tasting room. There are "reserve bottles" of older beers on the bottle list there and they are available to anybody that has the coin to drop on them.
    What were you hoping to be able to pick up? You might just have to rely on people being willing to part with beers from their collection.

6. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Perhaps this is confusing, but there are draft-only beers in the tasting room that are exclusive to club members. Usually it is just a few beers. However, there are not extra exclusive bottles that people can purchase more of. Those are all allocated during set times and limited. Perhaps someone very kind would give some of these to you, but most likely unless you have something to trade for them it is not going to happen.

7. MCDub

That clears it up for me a bit. I was under the impression that there were bottles for sale that were exclusive to RS/HS outside of the allocations. So I can just waltz in and buy Imp. Loakal Red and Mrs Stoutfire? Another question, can an RS member walk into the brewery and purchase their allocation then and there or do they have to order it online? Like if an RS member doesnt want their full allocation of CR could they order 2 and walk in and purchase the other 2 at anytime?

8. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Mrs. Stoutfire is not a club exclusive. It is available to purchase and has limited soCal distro. Imperial Loakal Red is also not club exclusive and it is available.

If a club member only bought half of their CR allocation they would not be able to buy any more later. The only possible exception is if a beer does not sell out, then sometimes they sell more to the club later. This happened to beers like Filmishmish, White Chocolate, and BA4CB. CR will definitely sell out in the first round.

9. MCDub

Ok that clears everything up. So to get CR I would have to have to find an RS member that hasnt ordered there allocation and that doesnt want their full allocation that would be willing to take my money to purchase their full allocation and be willing to meet me somewhere to make the necessary exchanges. Yeah.... Good luck to me

10. This year's version of CR also isn't going to be released until the end of April, too. So if you're going to be in town next week, your best bet is getting somebody to bring a 2012 for you if they have one.

11. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Also, to add to that dilema, CR won't be available for pick up until the end of the month at earliest. If you're out here next week there's a chance it will be on draft as a RS/HS exclusive then, but bottles won't even be ready.

12. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

The Bruery rep mentioned in another thread that they're probably going to be putting on a keg of RS-only CR here before too long. I might keep an eye out for that and see if an RS member would meet you at the Bruery to buy you a glass. I'd offer, but unfortunately not local (or fortunately, if viewing from my wallet's pov).

13. Does the crew at the Bruery care if an RS Member buys a glass of RS-only tap beer for a non-RS Member? Do you have to do it incognito or does it matter?

14. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

They've never batted an eye when I've done it, though I can only recall maybe a handful of times I've ordered two RS exclusives, and I think they were always different. I honestly doubt anyone would care so long as you aren't being a jackoff.

OP, if you want to bm me the dates you'll be in town, I live less than ten minutes away and may be able to help you out. As of right now the exclusives are Cuir (don't recall whether or not its 100% BA) and Barrel Aged 4 Calling Birds

No1Smitty likes this.
  15. bird22

bird22 Savant (415) California Jan 2, 2011

They never asked to see my card when I was in there last month and ordered a Griffon Brux, so I seriously doubt they care if you order a beer for someone else.

16. I was lucky to have a RS buy me a black tuesday or two and he bought a full taster rack of 5 at a time. it was great and no hassle at all.

17. Good to hear.

18. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Wait, what? I thought the RS-only taps just had to do
    with growler fills. Am I to understand that they are pouring beers which you can only order if you're a Reserve or Hoarders member?

19. yea everytime that i have gone and ordered a RS exclusive beer they have never even asked to see my card. Last time i went i ordered 3 cuir's at one time and they didnt say anything or take a second look

20. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Yes. I know Sour in the Rye with Peaches was on for HS only and Griffon Brux was on for RS/HS only among others. It's generally listed on the weekly(ish) news letter.

21. yes there are draft beers u have to be a RS/HS member to get

22. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

That's effed up.

23. RedBeeron

Apparently not, given the number of times people have been able to order them without showing their card. Nowadays the only time I show my card is when I'm closing out my tab at the end of the night. Just borrow someone's hoody :p

24. rrryanc

quote="vurt, post: 1153654, member: 5737"]That's effed up.[/quote]
    Why? They're generally beers only released to RS/HS in bottle form. Nice to give another perk to those people silly enough to give them thousands off dollars a year.

Callmecoon, mrkrispy and bird22 like this.
  25. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

Thank you for being an actual Advocate. Unfortunately a novel idea these days. Instead of asking what's in it for me you offer up the simplest solution. One of sharing with someone of lesser means. Well done !

domtronzero and RedBeeron like this.
  26. RedBeeron

Whoa now bro, I wouldn't go that far. I mean, I am a 2012'r after all ;).

Callmecoon and JustXBeer like this.
  27. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

Not at all, I do it every friday.

28. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

but if you aren't close enough to partake then it sucks to be you

29. No1Smitty

That is a label applied to douche bags. You are an exception to the rule. ;)

RedBeeron likes this.
  30. RedBeeron

Clearly you havent checked my posting history :D

31. No1Smitty

Not to start a bromance or anything I've seen you around. Keep up the good work. The 2012 ers (hate that term) need a valedictorian!

32. RedBeeron

FTFY ;)

eyeenjoybeer and No1Smitty like this.
  33. No1Smitty

Funny that you did that. Saw it while posting. Didn't want you to get the wrong idea :eek:

34. RedBeeron

As evidenced by these threads:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...gem-or-extra-fodder.78543/page-2#post-1140543
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ba-kopi.78460/page-3#post-1139831
    playing the role of the 2012er, if thats what the community expects, is something I'm willing to do. In it for the lulz anyways.

And hey, at least I'm no MikeTen (just playing, <3 you bro!)

35. rrryanc

This is true, but I don't hate them as an idea. I think The Bruery is good at giving worthwhile perks to locals while not cheapening the overall societies.

I think the RS/HS is worth it just for the convenience factor. We get a month to buy 4 extra bottles of one of the better sweet flavored imperial stouts out there this year, for example. And I don't have to know anyone at the brewery, distributor or beer store - nor do I have to beg, hunt for beer, or kiss anyone's ass to get it. Hell, I don't even have to leave my house/work to get it delivered to me - several hundred miles away.

36. OP - Sadly I'm not local either, although as a new NorCal native and new RS member I absolutely purchased my full 4 bottle allocation of CR (I mean, why wouldn't you). So no reason not to share the love. BM me and we can figure out a way to get you one when I do get them shipped.

I sincerely hope some BA will actually meet you at the Bruery and order some of their amazing beers with you. While not among my beer meccas (FFF, Russian River, and Kuhnhenn hold that honor), it's pretty damn close.

Callmecoon and ficklenicholas like this.
  37. OP, wish I had seen this sooner. I would have been down for a trade. However, I'm more than happy to meet you at the Bruery. I work in Downtown LA, but live closer to the Bruery. I usually go there 2-3 times a week. I can help you get what ever bottles they've got. If not, have a great trip! While I'm a huge advocate of The Bruery, try to stop by several of the other amazing breweries in the area. Bootleggers is just 4-5 miles away from The Bruery and I think they have Knuckle Sandwich going on right now.