1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rubaeus

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kylelenk, Feb 10, 2013.

1. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Has anyone had it at the taproom yet? Founders released a beer a few times last summer called Berry Cherry Thrilla and Cherry Berry Thrilla. I believe they are identical to Rubaeus and maybe it was some diversion tactics like they did with All Day IPA and the different names it had in the taproom.

2. malty

malty Savant (415) Michigan Dec 16, 2003

Not identical at all. Raspberry vs. Cherry. Once you've tried it, you'll know.

Jerome1929 likes this.
  3. kylelenk

I've had both. They had the exact same color and flavor profile. I couldn't pick up any cherry notes in Berry Cherry Thrilla. Nothing tart like Cerise at least.

4. Roeters

Roeters Savant (290) Michigan Jul 4, 2007

Rubaeus was Founders summer seasonal which the current batch is the first time it has been brewed in about 5-6 years. It Cerise took its place, at the time it was said that the cost of raspberries was the reason for the change. I'm guessing with the bad crop of cherries last summer and the push for Rubaeus' return Founders started brewing it again this year. The Thrilla beers you talked about were some one-offs through the taproom.

5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Diversion tactics? I think you are over thinking things.

All Day, previously known as Endurance Ale, did go through some recipe changes during its time as a tap only offering but I think that had more to do with hop supply. The name changed with bottling due to other Endurance Ales out there.

Rubaeus is not a new beer, not a new recipe. Cherry Berry Thrilla is a different beer.

6. kylelenk

I understand all of this. I still think that they have identical taste, appearance, and profile. Exact same purple color with white head. Exact same tart, soda like taste.

7. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Don't know about the beers, but can confirm that raspberries are ludicrously expensive. So are blueberries. And the cherry crop has been poor the past two years, especially for fresh fruit. I know because we have been scrambling for all three juices ourselves and paying through the nose when we can find theme

8. All lies! Rubaeus is actually KBS. It's a conspiracy, man!

VonZipper likes this.
  9. What's the backstage release coming in April, have they dropped hints yet?

10. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Likely going to be a BA DIPA, according to rumor. There's a whole separate thread on this in the Beer Release forum.

Having had both Rubaeus (not the current version on tap, but back when they last had it in bottles) and Cherry Berry Thrilla, I can tell you that the beers are indeed very similar, but I could definitely taste the cherry in there, and from what I remember of Rubaeus, it was more tart than Thrilla. Have they tweaked the recipe at all in the five years it's been out or production? Possibly. But I don't think they would've made Rubaeus under a different moniker just to see if people would still like it before they released it. Fans have been clamoring for it's return since it stopped.

11. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Its returning as a founder summer specialty this year in July and August, no status on Cerise which has been suspended for now.

http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2012/2013-availability-calendar/