1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ruined by Abner and Topper - what's similar?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MrKsBeer, Apr 8, 2013.

1. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Abrasive (although it's more grapefruity).. Double Sunshine...Kern Citra is up there in quality...but not really similar.

then it's a big damn drop after that
  2. MrKsBeer

MrKsBeer Initiate (0) Massachusetts Mar 31, 2009

You're missing the point. This thread is about exploring what's out there and expanding my 'beers I'd love to drink again' list, not about cutting out old favorites. Put simply, I found a beer that has a flavor I love, while others hint at it, this one nails it. I'd love to try more beers with that flavor at the forefront, which is why I have to ask you beer nerds to steer me in the right direction. It's all about the love baby!
  3. If there is a constant supply of Sucks around all is good.
    beastmammoth and KhakCane like this.
  4. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

I am sorry you feel that way. I find Gandhi-bot similar to Heady. Guess my palate is "wrecked".
    Mag00n likes this.
  5. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Green Flash WC IPA.
  6. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

The Captain Lawrence Imperial IPA reminded me quite a bit of a more "refined" Heady Topper (for a lack of better word). Pretty damn good, though I haven't had Heady since December so who knows.
  7. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

I had Heady, Ghandi-Bot, and Flower Power all fresh, all together. I thought Flower Power was the cream of the crop.
    Dirtinabottle likes this.
  8. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

San Diego County.
  9. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Not even close. Did not have the floral and tropical notes at all.
  10. Not sure if you can get it but Marshall Warf's Cant Dog is similar to Heady only with stronger malt profile.
  11. Flashy

Never looked at beer in such a manner- it's either bad, good or great. I actually remember the time we first saw the wine snobs showing up at events- sniffing their beers.
  12. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

I guess you're completely ignorant to much aroma affects flavor.

You might as well be drinking tonic water if it weren't aroma.
    KhakCane likes this.
  13. Those beers are on a level with Tiger and Lebron, but as long as you don't have them first you will still be happy. Fresh Double Jack is wonderful.
  14. I recently made a trip to HF and out of all the brews I tried, I actually liked fresh Citra the best.​
  15. Big reason why I love HF Citra
  16. Order Abrasive online.

Also, HF Society & Solitude 6 was better than both of those IMHO.
  17. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Revolution Anti-Hero IPA. Good citrusy IPA without hype.

Certainly deserves it though.
    dpjosuns likes this.
  18. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

What's similar is this topic on repeat.

Pessimistic '12er knowing the search fuction is rarely if ever used.
  19. I wish I would get ruined.
  20. Flashy

If the aroma is great then that is part of a great beer, I agree, so wouldn't say that I am completely ignorant. So perhaps I am a beer lover or advocate and not a "Connoisseur" of beer- oh well.
  21. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I had both Heady Topper and Surly Abrasive this past weekend and they're DAMN close.
    jmmy3 likes this.
  22. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I feel your pain. Some decent DIPA's but nothing will scratch that itch with a beer you can walk into a a store in Mass and buy I don't believe. I'd settle for a once a month beer run to Waterbury until you hop threshold explodes, bring a friend and make a day of it. Waterbury isn't easy to get to, but from anywhere in Mass every now and then I'd do it, hell I do it from here with a stop at my dads in Pa. Even from Pa it's kinda reasonable, well maybe not but only a BA guys know. I'd supplement with Sucks if it's around, but it's not right now as well until they come out with the new packaging. Anything else you'd have to trade for and it's easier to make the drive.

To answer your question only Abrasive is close to HT. Never had Abner but I had the Susan and my answer to that would be ZD.
  23. IMHO mongo isn't as good
  24. nc41

I like Mongo too, but Hopsickle is as good and available most anywhere, and neither are as good as HT or Abrasive. Recommendations of Cali brews won't do the guy any good, trading to Cal is an expensive hot mess, hence it makes more sense to drive to Waterbury every now and then. You can get Abrasive from france44 but at 15 bucks a 4 pack plus shipping he'd have to be independently wealthy to sustain that habit.
  25. Assuming you live in Boston, as a large chunk of people from Massachusetts do, we're talking about a two and half to three hour drive up to Waterbury. Barre's even closer, though you'd have to call ahead. With a three case limit at the brewery (assuming you got there early enough on a Mon or Wed [that's when they sell the fresh stuff, right?]), you could easily be sitting on 72 HT to last you at least a few weeks. That wouldn't be so bad.

Hill Farmstead is another half hour up the road, though Abner's not up right now.

Idk, do you think it'd be worth it? For your two favorite IPAs in the world, both of which are great for trading, my vote is yes.
  26. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

i have to agree. i find mongo harsh and boozy.
  27. nc41

I drive to see my son who's in FT Drum 2X a year. My dad lives 30 miles north of Philly, and I make the drive from there to Waterbury and we spend the night have a nice dinner, drink some good beer and bring some home. Then we go to NY. If I lived within 4 hours an every other month trip would be a no brainer.
  28. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

He can't order alcohol online, state law. Or something.
  29. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I say move to a another style.
  30. I Love Mayflower's IPA. Nice and grapefruity. They're in MA so not hard to find.

I drink Mayflower at the British Beer Company.
  31. Doesn't sit in Massachusetts, usually sells out within a week period
  32. I live in the Springfirld area and have been wanting to take a trip out there, but have been a little dubious since they can't do tastings right now. Which of their IPA's have you had? And which do you recommend?
  33. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

Sorry, you're ruined. I've only had one other DIPA that I'd put on par with Abner and it's going to be even harder for you to get (Kern River Citra). Either start trading or try to forget how good it is... Or, maybe just try to enjoy the fact that not having it often will make it even more amazing when you do.
    Trying to find a match sounds like a fun challenge though...
  34. I've had a few and they've all been great. I am a huge Heady Topper and Hill Farm fan and Tree House's IPAs are certainly in the same spirit. What would it be, a 45 minute dive? Go buy a 750 ml, take a slug in the car, and decide if you want more. Hopefully the taster thing will be straightened out before long. I've always thought they were overrated anyways...HF's are too cold to truly taste the beers IMHO. I was kidding about the Thursday thing, just trying to thin the herd. Hopefully they get big enough to stay open longer soon.
  35. I had mongo in the past, and remembered enjoying it, but no life-changing revelations. I remember hop-15 being similar, but a bit less boozy and more balanced (but also hoppier if my memory serves me). Just had Mongo again the other day, following an Avery Maharaja, and frankly it totally got overshadowed.
  36. This thread makes me realize how much of a lunatic I am for STILL not having tried either after 2 years of going to college less than 2 hours away.........

.....west coast beer withdrawal syndrome
  37. have you tried firestone walker double jack? absolutely incredible! little bit light in the mouthfeel than HT or Abner but still has brilliant hop character
    DmouthCaliBrewz likes this.
  38. check out tree house as a few have said/thread
  39. Do you go to Dartmouth? The alchemist would be more like 45 min-one hour, I'd think. It's fairly safe to say that I'd probably have perished if it existed during my sentence up there.
  40. Yeah I do. Thats great to hear, because I'm trying to put together a road trip with some select friends who are able to fathom a life beyond keystone.

:( I mean yeah keystone sucks, but those are some strong words.........