1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ruined by the Pour

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Feb 19, 2013.

1. When I had La Fin Du Monde, I was still pretty green to craft beer, and I wasn't thinking and ended up pouring the WHOLE thing very slowly and sideways.

There was no head on it, and it really felt like it needed it. I feel like I missed out and "ruined" it, because it wasn't as awesome as I was expecting from what I read.

Now, I just had Scotty Karate by Dark Horse, and I aggressively poured ALL that sediment into the glass. I thought, shit, I meant to slow down at the end! The first 5 or 6 drinks had that overly nutty, grainy sediment flavor that's not an accurate reflection of how this style of beer should be. It got better as I drank, and about 2/3 of the way through I was really enjoying it, unlike the La Fin Du Monde experience.

So I was just wondering, BA community, what do you think of my experiences? And have you ever had a beer ruined by the pour?

2. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

Usually my mornings after are ruined by bad pours

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  3. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

The sediment thing I've done way too many times. I often am not thinking while pouring beer. Very very bad habit. Then again, in the context of the evening (coming home from a 12 hour day of work), it's to be expected.

4. DIM

DIM Advocate (735) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

If you pour a beer too slowly and are left with no head, just pour it more vigorously into another glass.

dan027, cwreay90, SadMachine and 5 others like this.
  5. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I think your experiences are awesome! I can't wait for my kids to be old enough to understand them when I tell them of them.

6. Might not have been the pour; I've had some duds from unibroue in terms of zero head.

Nuzzy_Nuzzolilo and JK4Stout like this.
  7. A bad pour does suck but lucky for me it doesn't happen too often.

8. JK4Stout

JK4Stout Aficionado (240) Virginia May 10, 2010

I constantly tell people not to pour like me, because to be GREAT at it take more patience and practice than I plan on giving time for. I will say that with La Fin Du Monde, I have poured several different ways. (Once into a regular shaker pint...please don't tell) and have yet to be too dissapointed. HAHA! Hope the next bottle goes better for you!

9. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I thought I was the only one to do this!

10. Sometimes I get too excited and I end up pouring too agressively.

jcarleton82 likes this.
  11. I'd argue your disappointment with La Fin Du Monde wasn't due to the pour, but rather due to the beer itself.

--Dom-- likes this.
  12. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Again the overthinking of a beverage.

13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Nothing you could have done would possibly make that beer any worse than it already is. NOTHING!

--Dom-- likes this.
  14. kcp85

kcp85 Aficionado (200) Missouri Sep 7, 2012

What I do, pour with the glass leaning. Then I leave about an inch in the bottom of bottle. Shake it a little then dump it in.

MostlyNorwegian likes this.
  15. Eat the yeast, it'll clear out your tubes

16. RayUF07

RayUF07 Advocate (635) Florida Sep 22, 2012

No head is never a good thing.

17. Buttermilk

Buttermilk Savant (315) Illinois Jul 9, 2010

We love beer. It's made with yeast! Let's not be afraid to ingest it.

18. Yes, it happens but it's just beer. Enjoy it as best as you can.

19. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

What's with people in this thread bashing La Fin Du Monde?

szmnnl99 and mychalg9 like this.
  20. I hate it when its a gusher !!
    No matter how good your pour is some beers are just really happy to see ya .

21. I liked this beer a lot.

I thought the label said something about pouring the first half the bottle carefully. Then when you go pour the second, swish it around to stir up the yeast and pour it all out. Didn't try it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it says.

22. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

I won't "bash" fin du monde here but I will say I really have no idea why that beer is rated so high. This is just my opinion but I think it's terrible. So my 2 cents, it was the beer, not the pour. But what do I know.

smartassboiler likes this.
  23. Jason311

Jason311 Aficionado (105) Virginia Dec 18, 2012

You can not ruin a La Fin Du Monde unless you dont swirl the last 25%.

24. Jason

Jason Founder (1,340) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Relax ... stop thinking too hard about it and just pour the beer.

Jason311 likes this.
  25. Jason

Jason Founder (1,340) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

To each their own ... I do have to say, that beer has spawned soooo many creative thoughts and ideas for BeerAdvocate over the years.

Jason311 and ehammond1 like this.
  26. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (580) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

la fin du monde is probably one of the few beers ill drink right out of the bottle. tastes so much better at room temperature than cold. plus i really dont know why all the
    hate. its one of the best trippels ive had. but hey like jason said to each their own

Thickfreakness likes this.
  27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I usually watch 2-3 hours of Youtube beer pouring instructional videos while taking notes and drawing diagrams on any given beer before I finally pour it, and even then I have to dump out the first few if I don't get the head level correct. It is an expensive and tedious process but hey, this is beer we are talking about.

28. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Spend a year sampling other beers and then give La Fin du Monde another try.

29. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I agree with the majority here, no doubt. But I can kinda maybe see the OPs point. There's tons of topics about the right glassware, right this, that and the other thing that maybe makes a person wonder. So you have a beer that is popular or <gasp> highly hyped, and your experience doesn't come close. I would say I just didn't like the beer, maybe give it one more try to confirm (for me Sucks is an example...trued it due to hype, tried it a couple more times and decided its good, but not earthshattering for me). But i can see someone thinking they possibly actually did something to affect the experience.

Ok...I did say I kinda understood...but not really.

TastyAdventure likes this.
  30. Wow too much time on your hands or were just yanking our chains here ?
    La Fin Du Monde Rocks BTW

31. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Same here. I'm pretty aggressive when I pour so it's not uncommon for my beer to overflow the glass.

32. Overthinking? Maybe so in this case. But then again, there IS an entire site and several others devoted to this beverage. I mean, you have an account on here and sift through thread after thread about this beverage... so aren't we all "overthinking" this beverage?

33. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Yes