1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River hype. When will it end?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by watermelonman, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

When I was in California, I found bottles of Damnation for $5 (same price I get it for in Fl), 375 mL bottles of Supplication for $11.99 (same size bottles of Mariage Parfait Kriek cost $8.99 here), and pint bottles of Pliny for $5. It was a family vacation, so I never actually went to Russian River (I will eventually though!) or that close to it, but those prices were pretty steep. $5 for a pint of DIPA isn't really a good deal either. What's the price near RR for Pliny?

2. pittsburgh is awesome. ohio, not so much

Hermthegerm, NiceFly and MickJ0nes like this.
  3. So you are upset that during the two weeks out of the year when younger is out, you cannot get a growler fill without waiting in line? Also I was there on Friday night and there was a 20 wait, not quite 2 hours.

4. i dont think you could make the argument that RR>legendary belgian beer, but belgium is also across an ocean. in the meantime...

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  5. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Savant (260) California Sep 19, 2009

can someone delete his account? this is blasphemy.....:mad:

SammyJaxxxx and infiniteloop like this.
  6. Mattco

Mattco Savant (250) Illinois Jun 5, 2011

I'm confused by this entire thread. I would take some of these overhyped RR brews in Illinois.

7. You're doing a pretty poor job of it.

infiniteloop and Topher78 like this.
  8. biga7346

biga7346 Savant (255) Michigan Jun 19, 2010

You live 10 minutes away from RR and yet have found something to complain about, get a grip bra!

9. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Advocate (530) Colorado Jan 18, 2013

When I started with sours, I had tunnel vision toward RR. But I have expanded out since. There are many places around the US to get great beer. So now that my tunnel vision has been cured; if I was right next to RR I would go inside to buy a beer happily. Meanwhile drinking it and comparing it with others around the nation that I like. I hope to go some time, and I would consider it a mecca vacation for me. So would Cantillon and many others. Enjoy beer

10. When you brew a high quality product(s) as well and as long as they have been doing so, while maintaining their "Hype" with all the other new breweries and beers popping up all throughout the nation...I'd say they're doing something right. Should deserve some respect and a little more credit than you are giving them.

There are other beers and breweries out there right this minute getting more "Hype" than RRBC. Are you singling RRBC out because you once lived there and their success made it harder and more annoying for you to regularly drink their beer?

Comparing Bear Republic to RRBC...to each their own I guess.

CORKSCREWFISH and draheim like this.
  11. You're complaining about those prices? During your California vacation did you look at all the other prices on the shelves for DIPAs?

12. BigbROB

BigbROB Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 22, 2010

Moderators should delete these kinds of posts immediately. All the same "everyone loves this brewery, I don't get it, blah blah blah" EVERYONE ARGUE!

ktblue22 likes this.
  13. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Vinnie started brewing Blind Pig in Temecula around the time that Gopher was invented and started brewing at what is now Russian River Brewing just a year after HTTP was officially released. Their beers had been distributed around Bay Area bars and recognized for their excellence for years before anybody had even thought of Yelp and most of us have bottles of "tion" beers older than Reddit.

I think that it is a little misguided to say that Russian River's "hype" is the result of the internet or Yelpers or Reddit or any of the other social networks or peer review sources that may be coming to mind (like this one). The "hype" existed on the street from word of mouth long before these technologies, first around the Bay Area and then through visitors to the old beer bars within reach of the original distribution. All that the internet and all of these sites have done is allow more people to know of RR's existence and to help facilitate a trading network much further reaching than the physical distribution network.

NiceFly, JulianB, ridglens and 4 others like this.
  14. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Yes. Ruination and Double Jack are cheaper. Pliny isn't that expensive, it's just not a particularly good price.

15. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Pliny is $3.99 to $5. And $4.25 a pint for one of the best DIPAs in the world is a bad price?

16. LOL Pittsburgh. I'm from the burgh our beer sucks. Dont cite Church won all kinds of awards. Those are beers they dont even brew they are one offs for the GAFB for the most part.

DFH. Joke. DFH's best beer would not even be in my top 10 for RR best beer.

Russian river makes some of the best beers in the world, Not just talking about 1 beer, talking about a dozen world class beers that are as consistent as any brewery on the planet earth.

Lurkerson, MickJ0nes, Dagsy and 3 others like this.
  17. Doesn't enjoy beer internet hype.

FFF as counter example.

xanok, dan027, ericj551 and 3 others like this.
  18. beerinNV

beerinNV Savant (265) Nevada Jan 3, 2012

If you're not a dick they'll let you go in and get other things to go and roll out. Although, it may be limited to bottles and not growlers...

19. I sympathize with being annoyed by crowds, but the bottom line is that nobody is forcing you to mix with the crowds. If you'd rather enjoy a beer at Bear Republic where it's maybe less crowded, then good for you. But why do you care if other people don't feel the same way?

You say that Russian River is not phenomenal. Many people disagree. I disagree. But I don't care that you don't like it. Why do you care that I do? I can't think of one way that you're possibly being hurt by the fact that a lot of people really love a brewery that you only like.

litheum94 and BMitch like this.
  20. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

One less person to drink Russian River beers?

Yeah I'm OK with that

21. And that ladies and Gentlemen was just a quick exercise on how to turn an entire community against you! thanks to all who participated.

opwog and MisterGrizz like this.
  22. rboinski

rboinski Savant (305) California Mar 19, 2012

I'm going to investigate this in and hour and a half when they open. I will report back on whether or not Russian River is overrated

Dagsy, MisterGrizz, ridglens and 3 others like this.
  23. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

The day they stop brewing. Never :)

24. I was wondering the same thing....any answer?

25. You're so gentle. ;)

podunkparte likes this.
  26. Go on a Tuesday?

FTowne likes this.
  27. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

I get where the OP is coming from. There was a time I could go to HF on a Saturday and be the only one there. Man, I wish they weren't so successful........ I should go on the internet and tell everyone they make bad beer.

28. It will end when they consistently make bad beer. Meaning never.

29. ktblue22

ktblue22 Aficionado (230) Vermont Feb 15, 2013

I have never been to RR, but its definitely what I would consider a "mecca". Something I would love to take a long road trip towards, sampling beer from across the country along the way. Why the hype? Because its done amazing things for craft beer in America. It makes amazing beer. Its kind of a simple concept. Not to be rude, but when people make posts like this you sound incredibly spoiled...a lot of people don't have the access to the kind of beer you do

Dagsy, litheum94, RWNay and 4 others like this.
  30. As soon as they tap procrastination. It will be all over then.

31. I have not had all of the beers that Russian River makes but I have had a number of them. Below is my list of Russian River beers that I tasted with their associated BA scores:

· Blind Pig: 97
    · Pliny the Elder: 100
    · Pliny the Younger: 100
    · Damnation: 92
    · Consecration: 99
    · Beatification: 100
    · Sanctification: 96
    · Salvation: 92

I have enjoyed drinking all of the above beers but my personal favorites are Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger.

I am hard pressed to think of another brewery that brews so many different styles of beers of such consistent quality (across the board of their portfolio of beers) as well as Russian River; I suppose the only brewery that I think is ‘better’ is Hill Farmstead.

As far as I am concerned, Russian River deserves all of the accolades that it receives; there is no hype here.

Cheers!

SammyJaxxxx, draheim and udubdawg like this.
  32. Serious. I love Pittsburgh, but don't understand why it's on this list.

33. BiereBlanche

BiereBlanche Savant (305) Colorado Nov 15, 2007

Ugggghhh... now I just wanna go back to No. Cal so I can have something to complain about toooooooo. I also hated the 70 degree weather in November...

chimneyjim likes this.
  34. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

...says the person from Vermont ;)

JackHorzempa likes this.
  35. Maybe you're just over it since you can get RR beer so easily and its nothing fancy to you. FFF to me is one of the most overhyped berweies, I live an hour away, I don't bother with their beer. It's overpriced and I've had it all.

I've been to RR and it was one of the best experiences I have had.
    FFF is actually pretty disappointing if you visit their pub. And their tour is terrible.

RR to me = FFF to you...simple.

36. stealth

stealth Advocate (555) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

First world problems, man. First world problems.

infiniteloop, frazbri and regularjohn like this.
  37. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I've never been to either RR or FFF, but I've had a reasonable sampling of different beers from each brewery.
    And I agree with you 100%.

38. yeah man totally, shame on russian river for opening up in 1997 and not in the 1800's, the nerve !!!

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  39. You're worried about a "local" brewery being over hyped...yeah everyone should hate all the local restaurants, wineries, breweries, and businesses.

Next time my favorite local restaurant gets too busy, I'm gonna look in the door and yell that this place is overrated in hope that everyone leaves and I can eat in peace

40. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (325) California Mar 19, 2012

I have only tried Damnation and Pliny the Elder. While both were good, I didn't think that they were that great. Part of the reason is the both of them are not my favorite styles. So, I don't buy into the hype, but I understand why others do...

Just because I love and get giddy over Stone, SN, and others, I don't expect everyone to fell the same. It's great that we have so many choices. So, hype a way if you want...It makes it fun...

Lastly, I don't buy into the older or original is better...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.