1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River hype. When will it end?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by watermelonman, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP, your posts in this thread lead me to believe the following...
    1. You are mad that it is hard to get seated at the RR pub
    2. You are equally mad that some of their brews are hard to get because everyone thinks they're great
    3. You really don't think RR is overhyped, you just wish everyone else would think RR is overhyped and stop going so it would be easier to get a seat at the pub and drink the beer that you so obviously enjoy
    It's almost like you're saying, "I was here from the beginning so I really know how awesome it is and the rest of you are just pretenders jumping on the bandwagon."
  2. Seems to me that someone is just mad that their local spot isn't a secret anymore. I understand that, but really you should just be happy that a company that makes a quality product is getting the recognition that they deserve. If all else fails you can still pop in to the brewery and get growlers and bottles to go. No one is going there for the pizza anyways.
    draheim likes this.
  3. ktblue22

ktblue22 Aficionado (230) Vermont Feb 15, 2013

Correction - SOUTHERN Vermont lol I can't get Heady if I try...
    MisterGrizz likes this.
  4. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (710) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

Hey, I like Pittsburgh. Be nice to Ohio. I honestly wondered why it was mentioned, seemed a bit out of place in the OP's rant. And you have to admit our (Cleveland) beer kicks your beers ass (Pitts).
  5. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (415) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

This is pretty much what I got out of this thread.
  6. Daemose

Daemose Savant (450) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Hive Mind mentality.

It exists in any internet based community you may find. Music, Videogames, Movies, Beer, Etc.

Once the group decides what is cool, and digressors are trampled upon by the sheeples with their identical tastes and personalities.
  7. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) California Mar 19, 2012

Yep, still awesome and deserving of praise!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enough hate....
    johnsonni, Dagsy and opwog like this.
  8. Sorry, but I agree in concept with the OP. I can't speak specifically about RR, but 3F's has been brought up multiple times. Having festivals and marketing geared toward how limited and rare your beer is, is by definition hype. 3F's (and RR too, I assume) could sell out their entire beer capacity without any sort of advertising, but they DO advertise to get beer collectors in a tizzy - "hey our new beer you've never had is being released in limited quantity right now, better get over here right away and stand in line for hours so you can get a couple of bombers of it". Meanwhile, you don't know what it tastes like, don't have a way to get more if you liked it, and the more maddening part for me is that, at least in 3F's case, there are breweries producing beer that is just as good and in quantities that make it easy to obtain. I saw someone earlier in the thread post about 3F's being able to to get anyone into beer...nothing could be further from the truth when the instructions are (from a Chicagoland perspective) 1. Go to Indiana 2. Wait in line 3. Pay for beer 4. Realize that your "APA" is a borderline DIPA in hop content when compared to most other breweries. Most BMC drinkers, in my experience, are not going to be won over by anything hoppier than Boston Lager at the beginning.

I really like some of 3F's beers, though I think their style is not adequately reflected because everything I've had is "what I expected + a ton more hops". When 3F's is available on tap at a local watering hole, I'm happy to drink it, just with the expectation that if I'm ordering an "APA" style beer of theirs, I'm getting an IPA, or IPA == DIPA. What pisses me off is the idea that because it's good beer that's hard to get, it's better than another beer that is easier to get, and that craft beer == a ton of hops in everything (which is a symptom of the market, not their fault). Bottom line is that I go to Binny's when I need beer, and I'm going to choose from the insane amount of great beer already available, not stress myself over one brewery that I can't get that (at best) isn't significantly better than some other options.

Then again a lot of the gimmicks in craft beer don't suit me. I've never felt an aged beer was better than its fresh counterpart, nitro'd taps for anything other than an Irish stout is a waste of time, cask conditioned is always a waste of time, and I don't like smoked beers or milk stouts. If you like all of things and hop bombs and love beer collecting/trading, that's great, but drop the air of superiority and the attitude that it's the only way to be a true fan of craft beer.
  9. rboinski

This is now a fff thread, wtf?
    Rochefort10nh, JulianB, Dagsy and 2 others like this.
  10. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Savant (435) Illinois May 17, 2013

Same here. Maybe it's a product of living near the...um, product? I kinda feel that way about FFF. Don't get me wrong, I love their beer, but they're about at the point of exceeding my price point. Seems like every time I visit a liquor store, their bombers are $1 more than last time. The store owner claims FFF is raising their prices. I can't justify buying their beers when I see other damn good beers for half the price.
    Mattco likes this.
  11. Im sorry. Russian River destroys FFF.

Zombie Dust is the only regular offering that I would consider as good as most of Russian rivers regular offerings.

Russian Rivers beers generate the hype for them

FFF's fanboys generate the hype for them.

Get it?
    visionaries and draheim like this.
  12. Someone is really good at something and instead of recognizing & appreciating success, we tear it down? We should all be so lucky to be so good at something.
  13. yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
    mxchap and ericj551 like this.
  14. come on man, i went to bear republic and russian river in the same day, i was drunk when i read this post!!!!! haha
  15. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Please stop comparing Russian River to Three Floyds. It saddens me.
    DmouthCaliBrewz, cavedave and stupac2 like this.
  16. I WAS SO PISSED OFF about HOP2 IT not being on tap anymore, i fucking love that beer!!!!!!!!!
  17. rboinski

I know just saw that this morning. Awesome while it lasted!
  18. Can someone start a thread without the word "hype" in it?
  19. I stopped reading at "hype" :rolleyes:
    mjl21 and Stormfield like this.
  20. matedog

matedog Aficionado (185) California Jan 25, 2010

RR is one of the very top breweries in the US, if not the world, because they have mastered two great, yet disparate styles - IPAs and Belgian Sours. Their non-sour Belgians and non IPA/IIPA/etc are also great, but not quite the same level. Hill Farmstead apparently does world class IPAs and saisons. Haven't tried them yet, but it sounds like they'd be close to that level, though I personally prefer sours to saisons.
    Justinsosmart likes this.
  21. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

I don't see the big deal. Russian River is running their business the way they want to run it. They make styles of beer they want to and like to drink and do special release beers because, well, they can. Just because it isn't brewed in Belgium by authentic monasteries from hundreds of years ago doesn't mean it can't be a world class representation of the style.

If you don't like their product or their business philosophy then don't give them your business. Go build your own brewery and try your hand at living up to your own expectations. Coming to an online forum to rant about their business practices won't do you much good.
  22. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (540) California Jan 23, 2013

russian river purple monkey dishwasher 3 floyds? I like beer.
    Rochefort10nh likes this.
  23. This band sucks. They were only good when they were playing dive bars. Now they're a bunch of soulless sellouts.
  24. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Hey, leave Drie Fonteinen out of this!
  25. I'm from Pittsburgh. I am biased, and think it's the greatest city in the Country. Not in terms of beer though. There are some promising developments going on, but it seems like Pittsburgh is the best city for:

"I've been homebrewing for a year, my friends tell my beer is awesome, I am opening a brewery, gimme my Kickstarter money!"
    HopFace, Dirty25 and jampics2 like this.
  26. I don't feel like reading all the responses, but how about you ask the head brewers of all the breweries you named about how they feel about Russian river. They're opinion will be the most educated and experienced answer, and they will all tell you that Russian river is an extremely solid brewery who pushes out a crazy amount of quality beer, and beer styles. They're extremely versatile and innovative.

The real question is why Heady is number one, but I guess I may have a different palate and opinion, but I don't think that deserves to be number one. It's not as great as everyone hypes it up to be
    flayedandskinned likes this.
  27. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Russian River is not a brewery that needs people to defend their quality and whether they are deserving of the hype. Their beers (especially the benchmark beers) speaks for them. Whether or not you decide to listen is up to you! Me, I'll listen, drink it all up and come back for more. That's all that matters.
  28. The hype will end when Vinnie quits making hype worthy beers.

Get over yourself. Seriously.
  29. The only hype I see is when their limited release stuff comes out (PTY, Beatification, FFAC, etc.). I don't see people going apeshit over Damnation or Blind Pig.
    nanobrew and ehammond1 like this.
  30. This thread is awesome! It's like a chick fight! I'm just tired of people who are "sick of these dumb threads", yet feel the need to read and respond to them. Go write a review or something!
  31. I am actually in the minority camp that feels RR has a lot of overrated beers. That being said as a whole I really respect what they do. They have a lot of very good beers, in a variety of styles. Plus I love their Wild Ales, Beat is one of the best beers Ive ever had. I agree that some of their Belgian Style Ales leave a lot to be desired (like Damnation, and Redemption), but they do so
    much more than that.
  32. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Familiarity breeds contempt? Because it's under your nose since forever and you may be bored with it doesn't make it any less a great brewery. Obviously on the east coast you can't get it without trading I think the reverse might be true. HT is a little better,Abrasive really does it for me, love Pliny though. There's ec brews I get bored with too that you would probably like but ca 't get in CA.
  33. Because I've been drinking almost nothing but sours for the last 10 years, domestic, imported, and rare. And RR's beers always stick in my mind as so memorable - each and every one. I feel about them the way others go on about Hill Farmstead - except over 8 years they remain my favorite brewer of sour beers. (I don't drink DIPA's so Pliny/Younger doesn't figure in for me.) Many others close - but still none stirs my tastebuds the way theirs do. They are beer-mecca for me, and I will make the effort to get back there soon! [Edit] Started reading start of thread, and now just have to open one of the few I have left. Curse you, BA!!!
    davelag and Stevedore like this.
  34. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

10 years of nothing but sours? Who are you, Bill Gates?
    regularjohn, litheum94, nc41 and 2 others like this.
  35. TheAbyss

TheAbyss Zealot (85) Washington Apr 6, 2013

can somebody get me a pliny the elder, for the love of GOD!!!!
  36. I know how you feel. I only drink schwartzbiers.
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  37. You can buy Pliny the Elder (and many other RR beers) online nearly year round. Just goggle Blackwells Beer Run and it should come up. Its kind of douchey how they do the Pliny sales (must match buy another beer for every Pliny you want), and there is some price gouging on certain beers and shipping is expensive. But if you want Pliny its certainly easy to get.
  38. I don't understand this thread. With all the breweries around these days, why does anyone let this bother them? So what if RR has figured out the internet hype machine? You're just feeding it by being mad about it. I spend absolutely no time worrying about the fact that I've only had 1 of BA's top 10. And I spend no time worrying about beers/breweries I believe are extraordinary being rated higher.

How do RR's ratings affect in any way your ability to enjoy their beers or the beers of any other breweries? Just because SN Hoptimum isn't rated as high as Pliny has no effect on my enjoyment of Hoptimum. I don't sit there and drink it and worry about its internet rankings.

This really just sounds like some weird complex where you're upset that the beers you like aren't considered "the best" (whatever the hell that means) by the people on the internet.
    beerme411 likes this.
  39. Jeremy_H

Jeremy_H Aficionado (205) Illinois Apr 16, 2013

Its because Russian River is open on Monday and Lagunita's isn't!
  40. bpasquini

bpasquini Savant (285) California Feb 26, 2013

some things to say, just to let every one know I haven't had anything from RR so there will be no biased opinions

1. You can't say you aren't trying to hate when all your posting is negative things about them except that you like 1 or 2 beers from them...
    2. I don't think anybody considers any brewery to be a "beer mecca" of the world because all breweries have a certain or a few certain beers that are extremely good brews, no brewery is known for making the best beer in every category of beer types, but it seems RR has a decent amount of good brews
    3. RR has many beers in the top 250 beers list that are highly reviewed by people compared to a lot of other beers on that list, of course this place is going to be extremely popular with craft brew people
    4. Hype builds reputation, if it lives up to the hype it is going to make it even more demanded and popular, RR seems to me they are living up to it
    5. If this bugs you this much why do you keep supporting them? it seems you've been there many times and yet you keep going back but you hate it? If you don't like it buy something else, there's 29723589794579832457 beers in the world, venture out...
    PaulQuinn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.