1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River hype. When will it end?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by watermelonman, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

2. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Savant (495) Colorado Aug 10, 2012

These threads. When will it end?
    jrnyc and OUJayhawk1799 like this.
  3. I don't really see any more hype for Russian River than I see for other well done beers of similar styles. Just refer to any "Pliny vs __Insert Other Well Done IPA Name" thread. There's just as many people raving about Heady Topper than there is raving about Pliny. It's all a matter of taste and there is no correct answer.

There's going to be hype and expectations for all types of beers and breweries, so I really suggest getting used to it because it's just a part of this website.
    Hopsiam14 likes this.
  4. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (395) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

The hype will end when they stop making world class beer. Hype will not go away due to long lines or large numbers of people in their pub. If anything I would suspect that those things would create more hype. While I think people should drink what they like and not what carries a lot of hype, I think the hype is well warranted.
    OUJayhawk1799 and Absolut like this.
  5. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Chuck's has PtE quite often, if you're in NE Ohio.
  6. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Pliny the Elder is probably the best beer I've ever had. I don't "get" the RR hate.
    draheim likes this.
  7. Try some Hill farmstead, that guy is basically beer Jesus.

Also basically the current Vinnie, or the new Bruery..........basically the new hype train.
    FriarTuckInLuck and kingofhop like this.
  8. tfs8271

tfs8271 Aficionado (215) California Mar 14, 2007

Funny sentence when Vinnie refers to Sierra Nevada as Beer Mecca.
  9. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I'd love to try some Hill Farmstead. But isn't that basically a NE brew? yeah, yeah, I know I could trade. Well, hell, I traded for Pliny, I guess I could trade for some HF!
  10. When everyone gets smart and finally loves what I love.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  11. nickfl

nickfl Advocate (745) Florida Mar 7, 2006

There are a lot of overrated breweries out there, but Russian River is not one of them. Sounds to me like the OP is complaining just for the fun of it.... seems like there is a lot of that on the forums these days.
    ChanChan likes this.
  12. This is my first post on BA. The basis behind this thread is one of the snobbiest beer related things I have read in my 10+ years drinking craft beer. No matter who or where it comes from, good beer is good beer. Period.

Beer is not made to belittle ones tastes, it's made to be enjoyed among friends. I'm sure a lot of people here would agree.
    DanE, jrnyc, litheum94 and 2 others like this.
  13. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I edited it for you.
  14. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

I have always thought that watermelonman was an overrated. Every time that I try to get watermelonman, I have to wait in lines for X, Y or Z. I remember when watermelonman first opened under my cat box and my girlfriend said that it tasted like cat pee versus the traditional waste of the Egyptian cats of 2000 years ago. My God, don't you people understand!!!!
  15. Just had a growler of Defenestration. Yep, Vinnie couldn't make a shitty beer if he tried. This beer is wonderful! It is like a Belgian IPA if it was made with only Styrian Goldings and European Hops! Wonderful! Belgian yeast is a train wreck with American Hops usually, but Styrian is the shit with the yeast! LOVE it!
  16. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

How is this thread still alive? o_O
    BuckeyeOne likes this.
  17. I can genuinely say that I am enjoying the bulk of this conversation. Not all of it, of course, especially the non clever snark, but hey 9 of 10 responses make good points.

Yes, Three Floyds probably invented the word hype. I have liked their beer, though, quite a bit. Kudos to that who pointed out their Three Floyds was my Russian River, and vice versa. Is there some hipster jerk, I was there before you, elitism and snobbery in my initial statement? Absolutely. Do I resent the fact that I can no longer stroll in, sit down, and order some beer bites with my companion who does not even like beer, without drama? You know it!

To explain myself, I think Pliny the Elder is the greatest IPA brewed to date. I also think that Pliny the Younger is the most overrated beer in the history of mankind. I am confused by the sours and Belgians that change massively from batch to batch, shifting from yellow to red colors. Consistency? These are not the same beers. That said, sours are a tricky animal, and some of the Russian River sours have been phenomenal. Certain batches of Supplication and Deification literally set my heart a flutter. Later, I ordered one of each and was left wondering if the waitress got my order wrong. Consistency is not a strong suit there. The barleywine was garbage and the many takes on British ales are woefully forgettable. Does it matter who who thinks is the best ever? No. It gives us something to talk about, though, and that is all message boards are.
  18. riemster

riemster Advocate (535) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

It took me a few minutes to figure out who this Chuck fellow is. Is it in Chagrin Falls? It looks like I got a new store to go to soon. Cheers!!!
  19. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Russian River is certainly an overrated brewery, in the same way that Bob Dylan is an overrated lyricist, The Metropolitan Museum of Art is an overrated gallery, Rodin was an overrated sculptor, Aldebaran is an overrated star.
  20. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

That's the one.
  21. Russian River is definitely more overrated than Bob Dylan.
  22. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

When certain topics or comments are monitored, this is what you get. As for this topic, similar to other topics related to X vs. Y or "Is it hype?", this is a waste of time thread. If you think that RR is overhyped, you need to do the following:

1. Leave the community

And if someone can take the time to waste in posting a thread like this, I can kill some time posting a comment like this expressing my opinion on the topic. You don't have to read my opinion. :)
    denverbeerguy likes this.
  23. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

I'm not gonna read through this whole thread so some of my points might be redundant. There are a few big problems with your post:

1) You're implying "nobody can do it better than Belgium" when it comes to Belgian style beers. That's not necessarily true. Even if it were, why should it stop anyone from trying?

2) Russian River's best styles are NOT Belgian style beers - they are IPAs and American wild ales. Vinnie is as good with these styles as any American brewer, in my opinion, which is extremely impressive.

3) Your ex-girlfriend sounds like a total snob: "None of that Russian River wannabe brew", are you kidding me?

4) Belgian style beers are not inherently better than pale ales or whatever American style Vinnie is brewing at the moment.

5) I thought this was a troll post, then I saw you joined this site in 2004. That's longer than I've been here, and that feels like forever!
  24. As drunk as you may have been, you were actually correct! Here was the OP's comment:

You disagreed and said there is way more going on at RR than at Bear Republic, then you get criticized for not reading correctly? No, you sir were correct and that other user was an idiot.

OP, hate all you want, but there is a reason RR is so highly acclaimed and it's far from just hype.
  25. Nachojon

Nachojon Aficionado (195) Illinois Sep 17, 2011

Don't hate, appreciate.:D
    Dude is clearly drunk.
  26. Guy expressed his opinion and did it in an articulate manner as well as sharing his experiences and offering his rationale outlining his beliefs.

Agree or disagree it's a worthwhile discussion.

I thought the poster comparing the Russian River hype to the Three Floyds hype made a series of outstanding points as well.

Personally I'm more of a Bell's/Founders fanboy but if someone wants to point out either of their deficiencies and does it in an entertaining or at least defensible manner I'm good with that too.

Enjoy folks.
  27. matedog

matedog Aficionado (185) California Jan 25, 2010

This thread is REALLY making me crave some Row 2, Hill 56.
  28. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

OP has popped up in this thread as well.

Russian River prices

Clearly, he has a problem with RR and Vinnie.
  29. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

This is what happens when you feed the trolls.
  30. Thanks for that input on Defenestration; it sounds like a tasty beer!

In a past thread I posted:

"I am of the opinion that there are two sub-styles of Belgian IPAs.

There is an American style Belgian IPA where American hops are used. Examples of this sub-style are Flying Dog Raging Bitch, Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Wild, Stone Cali-Belgique, Green Flash Le Freak, Deschutes White IPA, Flying Dog Wildeman Farmhouse IPA, etc.

The Belgian brewed Belgian IPAs utilize European hops which result in a beer of a different character. Examples of this sub-style are De Ranke XX Bitter, Poperings Hommel Bier, Piraat, etc."

It appears that you have a preference for Belgian style Belgian IPAs.

My personal preference is the American style Belgian IPA with my favorites being Flying Dog Raging Bitch and Deschutes White IPA. I also really like the Flying Dog’s Wildeman Farmhouse IPA.

If I ever get a chance to find Defenestration (draft only beer?), I will definitely order one.

Cheers!
  31. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Being in Texas I've never had any of their beers, and therein lies the problem. I'm not an expert on the matter, but it seems to me that they are content in being a big fish in a small pond. If they really are all that, I would think they would at some point want to venture out beyond California. Then again, I might just be talking out my ass.
  32. jwjon1

jwjon1 Savant (350) Delaware Jan 14, 2007

That's just ass talk. :)

They do distribute outside of CA, but are maintaining control of volume. You can read all about it on the WWW.
    jrnyc likes this.
  33. I didn't.

34. No problem, I did a full review on it, so check it out if you want. I like Wildeman IPA a lot too. Saison yeasts can work out nice with American hops
  35. Pliny the Tiny?
    RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  36. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

37. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

I wouldn't say so. Row 2 is a Pale Ale.
  38. Popp24

Popp24 Savant (320) California Nov 5, 2010

I have been to at least 20 breweries in California and Russian River was one of the best by far. My wife and I were in NorCal for our honeymoon and my wife demanded we go back there the second day we were in Santa Rosa because she loved their Pizza so much on the first day. It was the Gorgonzola and Pine Nut pizza; real good stuff.
    The beers were all top notch and the atmosphere was real cool too.

I am a fan of Bear Republic but I was underwhelmed when I went there.

As far as food and beer together in one location RR was right up there with Alpine. Lagunitas also had real good food and great beer.

39. No shit. I love it. It reminds me of Diet Pliny with all the simcoe.
    RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.