1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River hype. When will it end?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by watermelonman, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

No one hypes their Belgians, except for the gratuitous +0.5 added to the rating just for being Russian River.

Their sours and Pliny are top notch and deserve whatever hype they receive.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

2. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

I'm still waiting for the day where someone can post a thread without "IPA" or "DIPA" in it.

3. No Way!! This website would never lead you to believe that.... ;-)

Still find both Pliny's superior to Ephraim and Abner though. Subjective.

Never had a bad beer from HF

4. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

No way brah. Them monks been making it like that since Jesus turned water into Westy.

Ivegotmule and fox227 like this.
  5. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Aficionado (225) Kansas Mar 6, 2010

I am now wondering the meaning of the word, "glommed." Also I would like to know the difference between, "admittedly excellent," and, "not phenomenal."

6. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

well lets not group belgian dubbels and tripels with ipas for one. RR is great because they make awesome sours year round, and pliny is at the very very top of the ipa list. of course great things are happening in the beer world, but when's the last time you could get a super dank cantillon or armand brew for 12 dollars or easily trade for it? tripels and dubbels are ancient styles and once you've had a great one , there is really no room for creativity or diversity. westmalle, westy, whatever you prefer, they all taste similar, albeit great.
    other than a few select breweries, there aren't many sours in the US, and it is a relatively new style for US breweries. they are also, from what i understand, extremely difficult to brew and require dedication and extensive resources. so unless you can get some izzy , ddg, armand 4 zomer or others on tap or bottled any time, RR stuff is an excellent substitute. and for those that are beer snobs such as my self, it is one of the few breweries that can hold its own even as our beer elitism grows and grows. there are millions of other reasons for the RR hype that i know but simply dont care enough to write up. excuse the poor punctuation i currently have no shift key.

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  7. McDiddyPop

McDiddyPop Savant (265) Florida Feb 9, 2008

Looking forward to riding the hype train in about 5 weeks. See you soon, Russian River!

Spikester and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  8. When they bottled it last and you could find it in stores, the cashier at Bottle Barn called it Pliny Lite.
    I wish they would bottle it again.
    I'm thankful for the people visiting Santa Rosa who bring bottles to trade and share.

9. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

That's OK. I don't care about it THAT much. Plenty of other beers to enjoy. My life won't be meaningless if I never get to drink a Pliny.

10. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

You`re not the only one left scratching your head on that one.

Spikester likes this.
  11. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Hype?

Their sours and IPAs are easily some of the best out there.

ChanChan likes this.
  12. The hype around their sours is well deserved. I've never had any of their hoppier options so I can't compare. The Belgian beers are fine but definitely not among the best out there. However, I don't think there's a lot of hype around those beers like the sours and IPAs/DIPAs.

13. This is silly. RR Is hyped because their sours are fucking PHENOMENAL, and as for their hoppy offerings........well who the fuck cares about Blind Pig, PtE, or PtY....I mean obviously those three just suck ass right? [/sarcasm]

Every time I go home, I consistently make it a point to have supplication as a permanent fixture in my fridge. I am absolutely obsessed with this beer. And this is coming from a cali boy who goes to school an hour from HF so take that FWIW

14. impending

impending Advocate (655) California Mar 12, 2010

you know you three should be embarrassed to have chimed in, really, just think a sec . . .
    cheers

15. My palate is a lil too fatigued to think a sec so plz enlighten me :cool:

16. Spikester

Spikester Savant (450) Oregon Jul 14, 2007

Amazing amount of responses. Easy to see what is going on here.

17. SiRCRX

SiRCRX Aficionado (170) Michigan Dec 19, 2008

watermelonman, yes the Internet ruins everything

18. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Having had some Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen recently in Brussels, I have to say that Russian River sours like Supplication hold up well. I felt that Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek was somewhat similar to Supplication- it was more fruity and less boozy.. they are not the same thing obviously but Supplication is a lot easier for me to get than LPK. So in this instance, I will keep buying up Supplication. Thanks Russian River for making great wilds.

19. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Seriously, I have to concur, I can't poo poo shit until I can get it on the regular...Russian River that is, this goes for Heady Topper as well. Hoping that @ some point distribution reaches NE Ohio, I'd rather buy it in the wild than trade or buy online.

20. Blueribbon666

:D seriously even the Fatheads in OH IO is smoking the original. PA has some good brewers but I'd be curious as to what in Pittsburgh has the OP all riled up to dismiss Russian River.

21. Blueribbon666

Or Summer Shandy & the Lime-a-Rita twins...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.