Russian River pulling out of WA?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by distantmantra, Dec 31, 2012.

1. One of my buddies is down at Super Deli Mart right now and overheard the owner talking about Russian River pulling out of the state. Anyone heard something similar or is he just talking out of his ass?

Smurf2055 likes this.
  2. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

Nope. It's true, unfortunately.

3. Great, now the world knows and I have to go buy up anything and everything before all of you do haha. Any reasoning why?

4. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Can't keep up with demand at home base.

5. I wonder if they're pulling out of Oregon as well?

6. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Oh god

7. Yeah, my buddy didn't want to believe it and neither did I. Figured someone here would know for sure.

Oh well, at least I got to try Younger last February. Gonna miss the -tion beers. :-(

8. bgramer

Maybe. Its also possible they're reshifting distribution to other markets that have more sell-through. A friend recently commented that in his holiday trip to CO this year, he saw RR beers for the first time.

9. Colorado has been getting RR for quite some time, though. That's nothing new.

10. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Eh. A few Elder once in a while, -tion once in a great while. I'll live.

11. I just got this information from a tweet from Cooper's Ale House. This is a major bummer. I love me some PtE.

12. bgramer

Why not try Fremont's The Brother? Its comparable to Elder, if not better because its local and quite fresh? :)

JonnyBeers likes this.
  13. I think The Sister is a better comparison to Elder, actually. But Brother is still incredible, though.

From Full Throttle's Facebook feed:

"It is with great sadness that I announce the withdrawal of Russian River Brewing Company from the State of Washington Market. A formal letter was sent to all of their wholesale customers, I received mine today. I will miss their amazing beers, and I know all of you will also. We look forward to the day they are able to produce enough to satisfy our demand. Buy bye!!!"

Boz12 and Lordkrystic like this.
  14. Lordkrystic

Had me a Sister last night and it was utterly delicious.

15. Lordkrystic

16. I am a huge fan of both The Brother and The Sister. The challenge in comparing these to PtE is that neither Fremont DIPA is bottled/canned. I get growlers of both of these pretty regularly but it's not like a can just have a pint at home when I want one.

I'm seriously bummed about RR's decision.

17. What I get out of this thread is that I can now trade Pliny for limited Cascade releases.

#wintrades

18. Maybe not, all we know is they're pulling out of Washington. Nothing about Oregon.

19. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

This sucks. The letter from the Brewery is a bit disingenuous. Maybe try pulling out of f*cking Philadelphia first?

20. Thank you. I'm glad someone else feels this way. They sell everything they ship up to WA, and it's definitely cheaper than going across the country to PA.

beertunes and draheim like this.
  21. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (390) Washington Jun 24, 2012

To me it sounds like they're not doing well financially.

22. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I ain't even mad. I occasionally buy one of their sours but the selection around here has improved so much they are kind of old hat.

23. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

How do you get that? It sounds like they can sell as much as they can make in the Bay Area and see no reason making smaller margins shipping it elsewhere. Which makes sense, I wish they'd pull out of Philly, Colorado, Oregon, and even SoCal until it's not a PITA to find Pliny in Oakland.

PaulStoneAnchor and flexabull like this.
  24. SeaAle

I don't know but the whole major reorganization externally and internally sounds a little odd. To often that means money problems.

25. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I agree. And they've got 20 investors? That's crazy.

26. If they had money problems you'd think they'd cut all out-of-state distribution, not just WA.

27. SeaAle

Who says that isn't coming.

28. pjdipes

pjdipes Zealot (90) Washington Nov 18, 2012

Sucks, bad....Pliny helped me enter the craft beer world. Well, now to buy up all the Supplication and Consecration I can find. :)

29. Lordkrystic

sounded more like an excuse to me.

30. ugh hate yuo. When I come down to visit I'm bringing back like infinity cases.

31. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

More or less. Warn Bottle Barn to be on the lookout for strangers w/ Washington plates.

32. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

"managing of our own brand"
    yech

33. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

The thing is that I completely fail to see how that's possible. They instantly sell everything they make, the pub is packed all the time, the only way they're not super profitable is if they're managed really poorly. Which would prompt reorganization, but isn't necessarily going to be the cause of one.

It's also possible (and, IMO, more likely) that they want to get rid of the investors and so are trying to make more money to pay them off by a certain date.

34. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (410) Washington Oct 17, 2010

Probably due to the 37M people in CA alone...why ship out of state? Don't blame them...

35. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Sounds like consolidating resources to me; it happens at periodic stages after a growth process (identifying inefficiencies, clarifying roles, eliminating redundancies).

Their brewpub is packed to the gills and their beers rarely stay on shelves; I think they realized they can sell the same amount while reducing distribution expenses somewhat -- this could lead to a margin increase, something their investors are probably thrilled about.

Like I've said in some threads in US - Pacific, I generally don't find Pliny anymore without some effort, and it's been a long time since I've seen it on a shelf even though RR is in my backyard. I would really love to find my local beer more readily. :)

36. It's pretty easy to find Pliny on shelves in SF.*

*for about one business day every week

37. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

They must be Catholic.

<rimshot>

djbreezy and FunkyMacGroovin like this.
  38. Texwild

Texwild Savant (255) Washington May 1, 2008

Sad but give Vinnie and Natalie the benefit of the doubt. They've earned it. They will be back. Respect. And sadness but it is only beer and they have given so much to us. Patience. It takes time and hard choices to build a great brewery. Give them their earned trust. Because Beer Matters!

SatlyMalty, bgramer, vande and 4 others like this.
  39. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Well this certainly isn't how I wanted to start out the new year.

a4ester likes this.