1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River pulling out of WA?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by distantmantra, Dec 31, 2012.

1. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Agreed. Blue Dot and humulo are both awesome. At Fremont Oktoberfest I spent all my tokens on humulo.

And I got hit on by doughanson78...

Lordkrystic and Lazerlobe like this.
  2. Silver City's Whoop Pass DIPA comes in bottles. It's good. Sound's Humulo Nimbus is the best DIPA available in bottles IMO. Love that beer.

3. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Diamond Knot Industrial
    Gigantic IPA
    10 Barrel DUB
    Boundary Bay IPA
    Laurelwood Workhorse
    Elysian's Manic IPA series
    Oakshire Perfect Storm
    Big Time Scarlet Fire
    2 Beers Evolutionary
    Skookum Mammoth Jackass
    Reuben's Rye IPA

4. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Sorry man, I gotta disagree with most of those w/ workhorse being an excellent exception that i forgot. most of those beers are mediocre at best... i'm looking for world class ipa/dipas that are from the NW...

5. Smurf2055

Ok then just Hop Venom

guajolote likes this.
  6. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I hear HOTD Blue Dot is pretty tasty... :)

7. John_M

:) Been to Piaci Pizza multiple times (I completely agree with your take on the place - as you can see from my BA review). The beer selection there is exceptional for the Mendo area, and the pizza ain't bad either. If you're ever back in the area, the Little River Inn bar area (Ole's whale bar) has a decent bottle selection, including bottles of Pliny on occasion (food there is pretty good as well). There's also Patterson's in the town of Mendo, and then there's "Dick's" on the main drag in town (Mendo again). Still, none of those places compare to what you can find at Piaci's... that place is clearly a gem along the Mendocino coast.

As far as younger is concerned, I'm not entirely sure when we're going to swing by the brewpub. We have a 3 night stay at the Albion River Inn, that ends on Wednesday. So I'm tentatively thinking that might not be a bad day to stop by (early afternoon, probably). Otherwise, we might try to stop by sometime over the weekend after the initial release weekend (Sunday is typically a relatively slow day at RR, especially after SuperBowl Sunday on 2/3). Anyway, I'll shoot you a beermail as the dates get closer... it would be very nice to see you and hoist a glass of younger together if the timing works out.

8. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I wouldn't write off Boundary Bay. Their IPA is nothing exceptional but their IIPA which is sparingly released is very exceptional. World class. As for Blue Dot, too inconsistent to be considered world class. My 2 cents.
    Edit: with a little effort, I would come to defense of others on list too but I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet.

Dogfishipas likes this.
  9. John_M

"As for Blue Dot, too inconsistent to be considered world class"

Can't really disagree with that, but... when it's good, it's very, very good.

The current batch they're pouring at the tasting room right now is very, very good (IMHO).

10. I would add:

HUB IPA
    Boneyard RPM IPA
    Elysian Hubris DIPA
    Fremont The Brother DIPA
    Georgetown Lucille IPA
    Icicle Bootjack IPA

NWer and draheim like this.
  11. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Agree wholeheartedly with a lot of the choices listed that I've had so far: Fat Tug, Hop Venom, RPM, The Brother, Hopworks, Bootjack, Blue Dot (when it's "on"), Lucille... all can be included in a conversation about Pliny.

It's not rated so highly here, but I actually really like Maritime Pacific Imperial Pale Ale too. I've only ever had it on tap, but every glass I've had has been so damn tropical, juicy and balanced. I prefer that to Boundary Bay or Immortal. Tastes great with some Thai curry too.

I really wish Bootjack was available locally, I could drink that stuff by the gallon. But I've only had it either before or after a major hike involving several thousand feet of elevation gain, when almost any beer tastes good. And I'm guessing that keeping it available only in Leavenworth ensures maximum freshness.

12. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Workhorse
    RPM
    Gigantic IPA
    Hop Henge
    Notorious
    Ace of Spades
    Apocalypse
    Vortex

IMO, of course.

Edit: you can pretty much disregard this post as I didn't see the replies beforehand. Sneaky page six...

13. Smurf2055

Oh and Knuckle Dragger

14. John_M

:) No Homo Erectus?

15. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

There was a time when Walking Man's IPAs were amongst the best of the region, but their consistency has gone to shit lately.

16. Agreed. I had a Homo Erectus very recently and was soooo underwhelmed. Had this a few years ago and remember loving it.

17. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

It is scheduled to be released again on the WA brewers open house. Brewery only, bottle limit. I'll post the details when I get them. BTW, that would be a good weekend to visit the 'Ham. There will be a shuttle between all 3 in town breweries so visiting them all will be easy. Then after the tours, you could hit up Copper Hog, Green Frog, Elizabeth Station. Again, I'll put up details when I get them.

18. Randomly, I saw 6-packs of Maritime's Imperial Pale at the Fred Meyer in Auburn yesterday.

99 Bottles had bottles of Bootjack for sale a couple weeks ago.

19. draheim

That is the best news I've heard all day. :)

20. [​IMG]

It's from December 11th, so who knows if they still have it.

21. beertunes

Has this thread reached the critical mass that requires us to write in sonnet, verse, ode, or rune?

22. draheim

I'm just glad to know it's being bottled at all. I'll be on the lookout.
    No, I think first we need some "expert" who tastes thousands of beers every year to post a diatribe explaining how Russian River sucks and we're all a bunch of rubes for liking their beer, and if we only had his palate we'd understand how unsophisticated and pedestrian we all are yada yada

John_M and beertunes like this.
  23. This is frickin' awesome. Based on the Icicle Brewing website, 99 Bottles is the only wetside bottle shop that gets this.

24. I bought the last bottle of Bootjack today at 99. The guys working said they were getting more.

25. draheim

Good to hear, although in my experience at most shops (not singling out 99 Bottles here) "the guys working" are right exactly 50% of the time...

26. Smurf2055

Usually just relaying the information the distributor gives us ;)

27. beertunes

News so sad to hear
    A friend we held dear
    Has been taken away
    We'll remember the many day
    Farewell No Rare Beer

jpbebeau and draheim like this.
  28. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Doug is a sexy sexy man.

29. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

On their fourth brewer since Jacob left.

30. Thanks for the 411. Didn't know.

31. John_M

Nor did I. I also wasn't all that thrilled with the last couple of glasses of HE and knuckledragger I ordered, but just put that down to a change in my palate and/or a somewhat off batch. Beers were still OK, but I remember being completely wowwed by these beers when I was living in PDX (back in 2006 and 2007). I haven't been wowwed by anytihing from Walking Man in some time, sorry to say.

32. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Just a head's up for anyone who's still chasing these things down, the QFC on Broadway has two rows of Damnation in the display. Even discounted a buck. No price jack.

33. draheim

Got a nice email from Vinnie last night in response to a message I sent to RR about the pullout. I'm sure he's a busy person, so taking the time to send a personal response makes him a class act in my book.

He mentioned Washington's distribution laws as a key reason for their decision; I sent him a reply this morning asking specifically what he thinks would need to change. I'm happy to contact my state rep, petition the legislature etc. but if I don't know what to ask them to do, I'm not going to get very far. I'm guessing there are plenty of folks here in Washington like me who are willing to make a few phone calls if it makes it more likely that breweries like Russian River will distribute their beer here.

Anyone on this forum know exactly what we should be asking the powers that be to do?

34. draheim

To follow up: Vinnie replied to my inquiry almost immediately this morning and referred to a law that requires the distributor to sell to any account that asks for a given beer if they have it on the floor; thus, lack of "control of brand." I think this has been discussed somewhere in this thread (I zoned out around page 4). He said, "I want to be able to work with my distributor where our beer ends up." Also, he emphasized that the main reason for the pullout was because they just don't have enough beer. But it sounds like this distribution requirement made Washington the weakest link.

35. But this is the same law/rule that prevents BMC from their version of "control of brand," i.e., monopolizing retailers, etc. I don't know how this works in OR or CO, so that would take some looking into.

beertunes likes this.
  36. draheim

I'd say whatever Oregon is doing seems to be working pretty well. Would there be a downside to modeling our laws after theirs? Are there state constitutional issues (or anything else) that would preclude trying to do that?

37. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Sounds to me like this is largely a distributor issue or a matter of enforcement. Oregon has the same regulations theoretically requiring a distributor to provide product to whomever orders it.
    Unless this has very recently changed, and others can comment on that.
    It appears that their Washington distributor was unwilling to target accounts with their product, most likely because of greater enforcement of this statute/regulation/law.
    It is a good regulation put in place for the right reasons. As explained previously in this thread.
    Their Oregon distributor just ignores the regulation on this side of the border. Which is fine, and being about as non-harmful an offense as possible, I believe shouldn't be policed. And it apparently isnt.
    The reason it has become an issue, and a huge headache for them (RR), is the backlash from accounts and customers unable to get their product. Complaints to the distributor, the brewery, the liquor control commission (or Washington equivalent), etc, are the norm in both states, and it seems that Washington, or their Washington distributor, chooses to deal with it differently.

Mages64 likes this.
  38. I believe this is all accurate from my understanding, at least as it pertains to Washington.

39. beertunes

And, as a practical matter, Click was deciding who got how much of RR's brews. Click flat refused to sell Pliny north of Snohomish County, even though Store and bar owners drive down and pick up their stuff from Click. Whatever.

40. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

What should they have done? If you get 20 kegs a month but have 80 accounts who want it, what do you do?