1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River Shadow of a Doubt?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by drgarage, Feb 28, 2013.

1. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

An imperial porter purported to be coming soon:
    http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/shadow-of-a-doubt/

RR has never been known for its dark English-style ales (plenty of good dark Belgians, though), and I've long wondered what they could bring to the imperial stout/porter arena if they put real effort in. Has this ever been brewed before? Anyone had it?

I'm thinking it's finally time to go back home to Santa Rosa for a few growler fills...

hopsputin, Arbitrator and afrokaze like this.
  2. the regular porter is awesome so i'm sure this will be great. nice to see him do a beer like this

corby112 and flexabull like this.
  3. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Time for another drive to Santa Rosa.

4. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

And to think I was complaining about having a dozen empty Russian River growlers.

5. Just what I was thinking. Their regular porter is top notch.

6. I love the name. Cool nod to Santa Rosa cinematic history.

DrAwkward82 likes this.
  7. Hitchcock?

xgeneralzodx likes this.
  8. Yep. "Named after the great Hitchcock movie filmed in Santa Rosa in 1943."

9. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Sweet. It's always nice to see them do a style that's out of the style-umbrella of what you would expect them to do.

10. sounds lovely

11. kaseydad

kaseydad Advocate (740) California Nov 23, 2008

It's here.......

Shadow Of A Doubt is now on tap at our pub! This is a new Vinnie creation and a nod to film noir in Santa Rosa. The beer is a 9.86% abv Imperial Porter. It is available only at the pub in 10 oz. glasses and in growlers to go! The movie, an Alfred Hitchcock creation, was filmed right here in Santa Rosa in 1943 and one of our favorite Hitchcock thrillers. Sounds like a good night for a growler and an old movie! Cheers!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...73347.258238964233205&type=1&relevant_count=1

eyeenjoybeer and afrokaze like this.
  12. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Just had this today. Very nice beer. Has flavors of toasted marshmallow, vanilla, chocolate an coffee. Another good beer from Vinnie and company, and also provides a nice alternative to the usual Russian River beers.

drgarage likes this.
  13. drgarage

Hmm... Might need to get up there next Saturday.

14. drgarage

Meet mid. I'm here now. It's still too cold from the leg, but it's already good. I'm expecting the flavor to be even better as it gets into the 50s.

15. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (540) California Apr 3, 2008

Tried it today. Super dry/roasty. I prefer the regular RR Porter to this one.

16. I was gonna say, I love the regular RR porter and I really want to try this. I like roasty :)

17. And clearly you also love Slime!

18. Its lime :(

Dammit I tried to use capitalization this time, it still doesn't register with anyone.

19. It registered, but I just couldn't resist poking fun :)

20. Had this yesterday and was impressed. It is delicious.

21. Heh. I wish I would've just chosen emilylime. Palindrome!

22. drgarage

My growler has been improving in the fridge. Not sure what that means, but the glass last night was much more chocolaty. Maybe oxidation treats it nicely?

eyeenjoybeer and jtmartino like this.
  23. BARFLYB

BARFLYB Advocate (605) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2007

I really hope that a keg or two makes it's way to Philly, although I am not holding my breath. I love Baltic Porters!!

24. drgarage

It's not a baltic porter, it's an English imperial porter. Probably brewery only for now -- it's one batch and not a big one, from what I hear.

25. I had it the other night. I thought it drank awfully close to the classic Baltic Porter profile.

26. drgarage

It might have, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't brewed with lager yeast or a cold ale yeast, which is usually considered a key component of the style, at least as defined today. If you want to argue it tasted like a Baltic Porter from the 1700s, there is literally no one alive to confirm or deny it.

AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  27. That's right, I forgot about the cold or lager yeast having to be used. Unfortunately RR doesn't list the yeast used on their website. It might not be a Baltic, but don't tell my buds, my twisted tasting buds, I just don't think they'd understand. Cuz if you tell my buds, my twisted tasting buds, they might blow up and kill... my ability to taste.

28. Kreko7

Kreko7 Savant (305) California Mar 5, 2013

The regular porter is awesome but this was a nice change! Definitely worth a try