1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River Sours

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ManMoosePig, Apr 19, 2013.

1. I'm new to BA and i like sours. what's the difference between supplication, beatification, temptation, consecration? do they use different barrels ? any info would be greatly appreciated :)
  2. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Look up the reviews for a better idea. They are a great resource. And find a few fellow BA's whom you have a similiar taste profile with and follw their reviews.

There are no short answers. Do your homework.
  3. amnesia85

amnesia85 Savant (285) Connecticut Mar 31, 2012

4. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

lolol ban op?
    nate8767 likes this.
  5. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

a penalty for such silliness is you must ship me 10 of each RR sour and then I will tell you the difference
    4kbrianb likes this.
  6. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

If you're able to find them, get them all. You won't be disappointed.
    Dagsy, ManMoosePig and seplo like this.
  7. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Wow, no easy answer....Hmmm, they are a combo of different style beers aged in different style barrels whether they are oak or wine barrels...that was sooooo hard to put into words....CHEERS
    oldedog, pjs234, Onenote81 and 2 others like this.
  8. CasanovaCummins

Yeah, but saying that Bud is different because it's easier to get, but it still has the same bubbles, would also fall under your definition. Why go to a library to have someone read something for you. Just sayin'.
    Uncleserg likes this.
  9. It may have been easy to put that into words, but it was also pretty useless.
  10. seplo

Dude he's a newbie with a question, why not answer it if you know the answer. Now I can see if you have answered THIS same question a bunch of times to give the response you did. You also could've said " ya know I don't want to answer this question", but you actually took the time to give a response....PLus I gotta show some love to a fellow CT BA.
    BUT I will say that he shouldn't rely on the kindness of fellow BA's to give him answers all the time. First time poster, this is a freebie...CHEERS
    Cee-Poe, bld81, smutty33 and 4 others like this.
  11. Thanks Seplo :D
  12. seplo

Sorry I gave a simple answer to a simple question. He didn't ask what styles of beers or the barrels they were put in. Thanks for the response lurker....CHEERS
    Lare453 likes this.
  13. Short/simple answer , different wine barrels, different stuff added. IE cherries , black currants.

EDIT: not the easiest to come by always, but New Belgium Lips of Faith - La Folie is much easier to get and reminds me of them
    jgluck, Cvescalante and ManMoosePig like this.
  14. CasanovaCummins

Actually, not being snarky at all, but if you want a comprehensive answer, one must do their own work. I'm just pointing them in a direction that would be the most helpful. Nice has nothing has nothing to do with it.
  15. Thanks for the info meta ;)
  16. well i appricate the "tough Love" your showing me casanova. lol :cool:
  17. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (510) California Sep 13, 2009

Like others said... Different style base beers and different barrels used in aging.
  18. Basically
    Supplication is a brown ale aged in Pinot Noir barrels with cherries
    Consecration is a dark ale aged in Cabernet barrels with currants
    Temptation is a blonde ale aged in Chardonnay barrels
    Beatification is a spontaneously fermented ale aged in oak wine barrels.

Different base beers each one
  19. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (160) Finland Oct 18, 2012

This is stupid answer. Really.

Truth is, that OP can of course watch brewers website some info, but "find a few fellow BA's whom you have a similiar taste profile with and follw their reviews" wtf? He just asked the differences of those hyped sours and that question wasn't stupid at all (seems that you are).

Johnnyramirez gave nice and informative answer.
  20. wild ales preserved differently......
  21. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

There's no difference between them because THEY'RE ALL GOOD!
    ManMoosePig likes this.
  22. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

Lol to add to my comment above, if you check his beer reviews, he reviewed 93 beers in a day.
    Isn't 93 beers in a day bad? Just wondering.
  23. I'm not sure that you know what a lurker is.
  24. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

Because he's an asshole!!! :)
  25. Edit:

Supplication is a brown ale aged in French Oak Pinot Noir barrels with cherries
    Consecration is a dark ale aged in American White Oak Cabernet barrels with currants
    Temptation is a blonde ale aged in French Oak Chardonnay barrels
    Beatification is a spontaneously fermented ale aged in oak wine barrels that previously held other RR sours.

Why does the type of wood matter? New oak holds more critters and gives off more oak flavor making a more sour beer. American Oak is less porous than French Oak so less critters there too.

Different base beers each one
    TNasty1126, jgluck, gjoker321 and 6 others like this.
  26. seplo

For me its someone who adds no info or substance to the convo when they could've easily skipped over the thread. So IMO you lurked on this one...CHEERS
    smutty33 likes this.
  27. I hate these threads where a bunch of morons simply talk shit about OP's post and why or how they are entitled to do so instead of give a useful response. Now that I've said this, I suppose I'm the critical bastard in the thread. Anyways, for OP they use different barrels and bacterias.
    n2pux, Skunkdrool, gjoker321 and 6 others like this.
  28. You'll never find Beatification. You'll always find Supplication. You may find Temptation, Consecration, and Sanctification from time to time. Those are the differences
    jgluck, gjoker321 and YogiBeer like this.
  29. So, no, you don't know what a lurker is.
  30. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (735) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

Visited the Russian River Brewery in summer of 2011 with wife
    Wine Country and San Francisco epic trip. I had a few pints,
    gave the keys to my wife, to our rental car, convertible, red Ford Mustang
    and I order the 16 sample (if I recall) to try all the various sours and other RR beers.
    What a great day!
  31. Ya lurkers don't post, or even have an account usually
  32. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Consecration has the most booze.
  33. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

I have no idea what the OP's knowledge level is but what I do know is that when I was green, this type of response would have been greatly appreciated and would have made me feel welcome. I wish more people would take this approach, especially with new members. Big ups to 1up and Johnnyramirez.
    n2pux, DJ-22, distantmantra and 12 others like this.
  34. Edit on my edit, heh: this was my source and it's a really great read
    http://byo.com/aging/item/1274-professional-barrel-aging
  35. Glad to help! On a related note, Consecration and Beatification are the two I don't have if anyone wants to help ;)
  36. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

From a homebrewing perspective I do know that american oak is pretty aggressive and can overpower something liike a blonde or saison and would be better used for dark strongs, imperial stouts and barleywines. French oak is a more subtle oak that is delicate and better used for saisons and other light bodied and delicate flavored brews. Same goes for used barrels, you don't want to use a bourbon barrel on a light base brew. Once I get my brewing fine tuned I can't wait to bring wood into the mix!
  37. Roger that! Just go to the Russian River Brewing web sight they explain everything very clearly. He said, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. :rolleyes:
  38. Agree.....they fly off shelves here in the west coast.
    BeerBuddy2122 likes this.
  39. RAWR!