1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River Sours

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ManMoosePig, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Savant (260) California Sep 19, 2009

no where close....sorry but RR sours are on there own planet. New Belgium is simply ok not great. I would probably let this go if you had said Cascade Brewing. :oops:

Madcap74, CasanovaCummins and PG2G like this.
  2. Dude, there's always at least 1 RR sour on the shelves. Usually 2-3 of them. Temptation seems to be the hardest to get of the 4 distributed ones. The RR sours are extremely easy to get if you live in their distro area, unless I'm the exception here and extremely lucky

MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  3. Easy to get? Not at all. I live within 2 hours of the brewery and they're beers are never OK the shelves. Or bottle shops might get a few sours best case thought the year. They do get Pliny on occasion though but it's gone very very fast. I usually have to drive up to get my RR fix. Fortunately we got a bar here in sac that had Pliny on tap a lot.

Uncleserg likes this.
  4. Oh and OP they are all amazing. Consecration my favorite. Amazing beer kinda wine like with lots of dark fruit.

5. Yea I agree with you, I can always get them. But We live in cali..I'm not sure how it is getting them out of state. You're probably like me and feel no need to buy many at once, cause you know you can get them fairly easy if you want.

Johnnyramirez likes this.
  6. This is true. I'll buy Sanctification to age, and the occasional bottle of the others to age. But recently I only buy to throw in as extras

7. Where do you live? Come to the Bay Area, I've seen shops have them collect dust here

EDIT: I see you live in Sac. Idk about the shops there

8. Annnnnnd...that's why HADS suck.

9. Because Google

10. I have access to Plenty of Consecration and Sanctification if anyone would like to try some.

Always looking for Heady, HF, Lawsons. Also, wouldn't say no to Gandhi Bot or Jai Alai just so I could spread the RR love.

11. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Well said,very well said........

Cheers

dan027 and gjoker321 like this.
  12. Can't agree more... *slow golf clap*

Mr. Ramirez... Your porch is no longer safe. You've been warned.

13. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

If you go to the RR web site you'll find a really good set of descriptions of each of their beers and how they differ from each other.

14. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

This thread is the best. People taking the time to write up snarky answers in nearly the same amount of time as it would take to make a useful suggestion, people not answering the actual questions but talking of their undying love of the beer, potential in-fighting...I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

15. Obsidian

Obsidian Savant (305) California Dec 9, 2012

I would say just try them all. I have had all except Beatification and I like Sanctification the best. Other than Beatification they all pop up in SoCal on a fairly regular basis which is lucky for me.

16. oldedog

oldedog Savant (310) Connecticut Oct 23, 2012

the heck with that dont take no crap from beer snobs

beerindaglass likes this.
  17. I have Consecration..

18. Plenty of pricks sill on here!

19. TNasty1126

TNasty1126 Aficionado (175) Hawaii Jun 21, 2012

Well amidst all this arguing, I believe they collectively answered your questions and then some... :) Cheers.

smutty33 likes this.
  20. Mbennett

Mbennett Savant (295) New York Jun 16, 2011

god forbid someone comes onto a beer forum to post a question about beer.

smutty33, dan027 and Skunkdrool like this.
  21. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

well, you certainly "1 up'd" him. J/k. Thanks for the info.

22. now that all of you are done arguing.... I had Sanctification for the first time last night. I have had every other RR sour except that until last night. I think it might be my favorite out of the line. So now I am officially on the search for a place that sells them without a bottle limit haha. What about you guys... which one is your personal favorite. Screw reviews and all that fancy talk :eek: ... which one do you like?

23. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Of the four I've had, I would say:
    Beat
    Tempt
    Sanct
    Cons

I tend to love sour stuff, so it's no surprise that Beat is tops for me. And of course, the hardest one to find, too.

24. When did all of these BA's start acting like a bunch of little bitches? Geesh. Like mentioned above, god forbid anyone ask a question on here instead of bragging about what you have or what your favorite IPA is.

smutty33 likes this.
  25. beat is the first I ever had... maybe it has been so long I forgot? haha
    I prefer sours over just about anything, so I am right there with you.

26. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

ISO: Beat

27. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

28. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Would someone please explain the difference between the Jolly Pumpkin sours? Sure, I could visit their website or read some reviews, but I prefer to have my beer questions answered on a forum. ;)

CasanovaCummins likes this.
  29. jmwildwest

jmwildwest Aficionado (215) Florida Mar 10, 2013

Send all the -tion's to Florida. This may take some time and research.

30. Its been like this the whole time I have been on here, although it does seem to be getting worse all the time.:)