1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River Supplication label

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by flag8r, Mar 22, 2013.

1. flag8r

flag8r Aficionado (245) Florida Nov 7, 2009

What is the significance to the number 23 on the label (aside from a shot out to Michael Jordan)?

2. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I believe it refers to the 23rd pslam ("The lord is my shepherd, etc...), seeing as Supplication is the act of prayer.

EDIT: apparently I am wrong.

BlastBeats likes this.
  3. I believe it's on every one of their labels somewhere. Usually hidden. This is what it says on the Damnation 23 label:

23 is the ninth prime number, the smallest odd prime that is not a twin prime. A human baby receives 23 chromosomes from each parent. It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate through the body. There are 23 vertebrae in the human body. The number of joints in the human arm is 23. A human’s physical biorhythm cycles every 23 days. This influences coordination, energy, strength, endurance, initiative and resistance to illness. The earth’s axis is at 23 degree angle. On average, every 23rd wave crashing to shore is twice as large as normal. In the year 23 A.D., Pliny the Elder was born. Julius Caesar on September 23rd, and was stabbed 23 times. Mayans believe the world will end on December 23, 2012

4. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

There's a 23 on all of their 'tion labels. I think Vinnie is kind of coy about the significance. Probably just his favorite number or something. I use 23 a lot because my favorite all-time baseball player is Ryne Sandberg, but something tells me that's not his reason.

Edit: looks like it was answered above while I was typing. Makes sense. I didn't see the Jim Carrey movie...

Photekut likes this.
  5. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Glad that last part didn't work out too well.

flayedandskinned likes this.
  6. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

I don't have any insight or opinions on the 23 on the labels, but goddammit I wish they'd stop using comic sans!

7. 23 is own almost all of their labels and it is a homage to an old roommate of his that passed away too young. Apparently 23 was his old roommates favorite number.

8. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

I've wondered about damnation batch 23 and now it makes more sense.

9. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (470) California Aug 24, 2012

Murphey and domtronzero like this.
  10. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

jtmartino likes this.
  11. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Guessing it means Vinnie is a Robert Anton Wilson fan. I've no longer got a copy of the Illuminatus Trillogy, but it's a very entertaining book if you're into weird.

12. rboinski

rboinski Savant (305) California Mar 19, 2012

Robert,

Thanks for the email, Vinnie has an affinity & affection for the number 23, it’s one of his favorite / lucky numbers. I recommend you Google number 23, it’s a good read. Thanks for the support.