1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River to expand?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by gatornation, Jan 10, 2013.

1. yamar68, biniek13 and JamesMN like this.
  2. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I surely wouldnt complain about having 'local' RR :D

3. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

This would be great! I'm 2 hours away from them and its still in incredibly hard to get any of their brews.

4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

They're talking about expanding production, not distribution. I'd be shocked if they expanded into any new markets at any point in the next few years.

5. Yeah that may be true they cant supply CA, but we can hope

6. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (680) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

Considering they just pulled out of the state of Washington, I can't imagine they are going to be expanding to new markets.

7. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

that is weird considering not even a week ago they said:

To squelch any other rumors: we have NO plans for expansion at this time. Those conversations are still at the "Vinnie and I chatting on the couch in the evening over a couple glasses of wine" phase.

source

beertunes likes this.
  8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Since they just pulled out of Washington state, I'd love to see them do anything that might eventually get them back here. Miss them already.

EDIT: Beat me to it kevanb

9. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I hope they expand to the Bay Area, it would be nice to get Russian River in CA.

10. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

Even if they expand their production capacity by enough to be able to return to Washington, they won't until the WA laws change.

11. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

We just legalized pot and gay marriage. How hard could this be?

12. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I love Pliny
    And this sounds crazy
    I want to drink more
    So expand maybe

13. New distribution (Projected)

A few counties in CA
    Some stores in Denver
    Three shops in Philly (but only expired product)
    One bodega in North Providence, RI.

I can live with that.

14. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Maybe Sacramento County is included in their future distribution plans.

wyatt likes this.
  15. abecall98

Hopefully they have so much wine they pull the trigger and build it bigger. They can always build UP.

16. After their pull out of Washington and shooting on the tummy, I don't feel that the expansion will be any time soon. in the Weekly email I get from them the talk is just in "couch conversation". But who knows, plus the expansion will kill my trade bait.

17. This is one of these posts that gets me dreaming. I'd love it if RR could somehow expand production on their sours without compromising quality. In my opinion, their sours are totally unique. Does any brewer in this country make sours that even compare?

18. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

West coast locals Cascade, Block 15 and Bruery make decent sour stuff. Dunno bout rest of the country.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  19. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

I agree. They need to supply the markets they're already distributed in better before they widen their reach.

20. don't they already have a few places they rent out to begin with? I'm curious as to what these possible expansion plans would include

21. faucd531

faucd531 Initiate (0) Louisiana Jul 7, 2010

Key word is MAYBE.

22. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

Yes.

23. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Drink one Cascade and see me in the morning.
    "A Cascade a day keeps the Russian River at bay."

24. Thanks for the suggestion!

Great. Another beer I have to trade for. There goes my surplus BCBS....

25. ISO expired RR sours :p

JrGtr, Chaz, bifrost17 and 1 other person like this.
  26. Expansion must mean supplying all of California. It would seem odd that they leave Washington only to distribute elsewhere.

27. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

True, however it is only now at the.. “in the middle of the evening discussion phase”.. So it is more like casual chatter around the fire, after dinner. It seems like a long, slow process of building excitement and demand. On the other hand, even if I was in their shoes, 10-20 million dollars is a shit town of debt to take on. My goal is to open a brewpub too, one day. If I were 1/10th as successful as the Cilurzo's, I would be stoked. So, I can see them not too eager to expand.

28. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I 100% agree, I would be terrified of expanding. Sure they are destined to succeed, but why deal with the additional headaches. I found it funny that they released a statement to kill a bunch of rumors, including that of expansion, and not even a week later a blog is pushing the "RR might expand"

29. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Asheville. Everybody's doing it.

30. blkcld

blkcld Aficionado (245) New Jersey May 19, 2010

would be all for them expanding and growing the business. Expansion does not always mean a decrease in quality. They have such crazy restrictions on how many of each beer you can buy at a time etc. If they did away with that alone they could probably double their size. I'm lucky by living in Philly, the one place east of Cali that you can actually get RR. Albeit at ridiculous prices

31. Already is .......? I've seen RR at Natomas bevmo . Also sacto is so close to RR why
    worry

32. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Why do want this to sound like a slow process?

Oh you meant "i would love to see this. Sounds like a slow process."

Go gators.

33. abecall98

Natomas Bevmo hasn't carried RR in over a year and a half. The places in Sac that do get RR get such a limited alunt that it is gone in a day or two.

Why worry? It would be nice to be able to constantly pick up Pliny or sours locally an a random day, instead of getting lucky on the day they arrive.

34. Vinnie refuses to do business Bevmo anymore. He gave Bevmo 3 chances to keep Pliny cold and they didn't, so he said screw em and took his beers where they are appreciated and nurtured.

35. deadonhisfeet likes this.
  36. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

It would be nice to try Pliner The Elder and Pliny The Younger in my lifetime without having to go through the hassle of trading or driving out of my way/waiting on a long line at some special offering.

37. ystazi

ystazi Savant (350) Illinois Jan 5, 2010

I agree. I can only get the Elder when i'm in west coast...that is if i'm very lucky.

38. Hah fuckers should be deepening their their distro not stretching their disto. They couldn't even keep up with Washington. Why expand now?

39. I live one hour from these guys and none of there beers are available in my town. So i drive one hour to buy them and visit the brewery. So I'm more fortunate than most, however it would pretty damn cool if I can just go grab a Pliny or a Supplication at the grocery store.

40. MoreAbv

MoreAbv Aficionado (145) California Jan 28, 2013

I live 2.5 hours from RR brewery and they sell like hot cakes here. Have my local whole foods and specialty liquor store on speed dial. Every 3rd week of the month is when their shipment comes.