1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River to expand?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by gatornation, Jan 10, 2013.

1. The way the state laws are with alcohol are so finnicky, but lets hope do everything by the book and get a place around Los Angeles!

2. elphenden

elphenden Aspirant (45) California Oct 26, 2010

Vinnie and Natalie deeply believe in local craft beer. They don't care if Pliny is available in every market in the world. That is not and never was their goal. They would rather that all the wonderful craft brewers all over the USA are supported by their local customers. There is plenty of great beer to be had. Just because Pliny is voted as the greatest in the world doesn't mean you have to try it. If they can make more beer without compromising its quality and increasing their own stress levels to enormous proportions, they will. But they will take their time and do it "right" for them.

(Disclaimer: RR is my local pub. I understand why everyone wants Vinnie's brews. They are incredible. But there are other incredible beers out there too...)

Shakory and mikem0487 like this.
  3. Would love to get more RR out here in south eastern PA right outside of Philly. Its extremely hard to get and find any of their beer and when you do find it it cost a premium because majority of the time they are only found at bars so they mark up the $$.

4. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Since I enjoy using Pliny as trade bait, I'm going to hope they don't.

5. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I feel Pliny has been compromised a lot since several years ago.

6. evilc

It's trade bait? I use them as extras....

WhiteJordan, OneBeertoRTA and Franch like this.
  7. Catchy_Name

If someone is willing to trade good stuff for it, I won't talk them out of it.

8. evilc

Can't argue with that, I meant as posting it as the anchor in an ISO:FT!

9. Catchy_Name

I've done it a few times, not common though. I compare it to BCBS. Why should it be the fault of people from Chicago that I'm willing to trade great beer for stuff they can get off the shelf fairly easily?

10. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

You can order Cascade sours on line from their brew house. shop.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  11. Damnation is everywhere. I saw three cases today. Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of damnation at the $5 a bottle price. I would sooner pay $12 a bottle for supplication and do every time I see it.

Enjoy

12. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

Yea. I could see them trying to infuse more of their local market. It seems like even the locals have a hard time getting their stuff.

13. 14,000 barrels is not a lot of beer. I'll bet they sell 1/2 of that at the pub. No doubt RR could sell a lot more beer but $10,000,000 + is a lot of debt to take on .

14. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

If I'm RR and I'm expanding I'm moving it to Upper NJ to cover the whole east coast. Good roads, easy Interstate access in every direction. And tons of highly concentrated beer geeks. So many big cities within a 4-5 hour ride, would cover from Boston to DC.

15. Everything you said is true as it was in 1950 when AB expanded to Newark NJ. Sierra Nevada considered NJ also. They took one short look at the laws and taxes droped the idea.

16. nc41

SN is moving to NC.

17. Just in, RR hops on board and opens a brewery in Ashvegas!

18. nc41

RR probably doesn't have the volume and clout to ask for or receive state compensation as motivation to move. Something like AB is a whole different animal even if they were looking to start up in this economy, they would have brought in a ton of revenue and jobs with them..

19. danieltweten

danieltweten Zealot (80) Washington Feb 21, 2013

They should open brewpubs in LA, SF, Portland, SEA, Vegas. Mini brewpubs making small batches of their stuff. Keep in microbrew status, but almost chain like.. I hate chains, but it's RR.

nc41 likes this.