1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River to start filling Generic Growlers

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jamex, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Via Russian River Brewing Company's Facebook:
  2. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Sorry about the double post. Someone beat me by a few seconds I guess. Cheers!
  3. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

Cool, I only have 2 growlers from there, so if I get one of these GENERICS, I can come home with 3 growlers of Russian River Beer without purchasing another growler there.
  4. Ynot2

Ynot2 Savant (310) California Jul 24, 2009

I hope others will follow the lead of RR.
    huadog and MykelJH like this.
  5. If you follow the link they posted and look at the Growler Clarification, they show RR's new growler hanger. There are also pictures of the growlers with those hangers that have been wrapped in opaque shrink wrap (which is what the guild is recommending breweries to use). While that doesn't necessarily mean Russian River will be using it, I definitely hope so since that seems like the perfect solution to cover any labels.

Also also: you don't actually need a separate printed tag for all beers in all sizes; you actually can just have one tag with an area to write that stuff in (as long as its still pre approved). Glad to hear that, since I seem to remember people thinking every beer would need its own printed label in order to be sold.

Anyways, all great news. I'm glad the Guild released these guidelines, since this should hopefully make the transition to unmarked growlers MUCH smoother. And it's certainly good to see that Russian River is going to be the poster child of the new growler laws. A brewery as well known as them making these changes should be a pretty big push for other breweries to make the changes as well.
    blguillen likes this.
  6. Russian River supporting this is huge! I can't see how any other breweries can argue with accepting it now that I can get a blank growler full of Pliny.
  7. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (375) California May 19, 2006

From the locked thread, this is exactly the kind of response that I was looking for from breweries. Well done Russian River.
    errantnight and flexabull like this.
  8. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I always figured RR would do this, I'm glad they're doing it quickly, at least compared to most big-name places.
  9. I am really excited to hear now that RR is going to keep the ball rolling, after Alesmith. I think the only thing I am waiting for is to get a fill in my 3L Double Bastard or my 3L Eclipse Growlers. Soon...:D
    afrokaze, Seanvino and JustXBeer like this.
  10. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

Kind of surprised PMR hasn't made a statement yet, given what he was trying to do last year. Definite another step in the right direction!
    CAbeerCAbeerCA likes this.
  11. Paul per the link in the OP:
    You better start lobbying RRBC to include the 3L size in their label applications:D
    PaulStoneAnchor and jamex like this.
  12. I definitely should. I mean they sell cork and cage 3L, but not resealable swing top 3L. Hopefully they might read this thread, because I am always looking for 3L of Blind Pig or Pliny! :D But even if they end up not doing 3L swing tops, they should definitely have a tag ready to fill some. :)
  13. stupac2

I highly doubt that they'll do 3Ls, they'd be a fucking bitch to fill because of the odd size. Can't fit that under taps.
  14. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Finally! I hope that other CA breweries will follow their lead and I won't have to buy a billion growlers.
  15. Pretty exciting... Except for the fact that I have 7 RR growlers...
  16. ZacJay

ZacJay Zealot (90) California Jul 18, 2011

Hoping to make it up there during spring break. The more growlers I can get filled the better.
  17. Anyone close enough to RR really needs to check themselves over this. You have access to some of what is considered the best beers in the world, and you are bitching about being able to finally use your Rock Bottom Brewery Growler. On principal that is pretty weak, on your wallet, even weaker. If they were smart they would card for Santa Rosa folks, give them a good deal, and bone everyone else. Bring your own glass, 30 bucks a fill for out-of-towners. You notice no one is clamoring to get their RR growler filled at BJs or something.
  18. What's the point of your post? This recent clarification benefits everyone.
    afrokaze and teamizm like this.
  19. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

Homers gonna home, bro
  20. The move by Russian River to support generic growlers can only be seen as a positive for all California BAs, as well as anyone who enjoys trading CA beers or trading for CA beers.
    litheum94 likes this.
  21. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

The essence of our excitement lies in the hope that more CA breweries will start doing this, and that we won't have to buy growlers from every brewery we visit. You, as a fellow Californian, should be hopeful as well.
  22. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

So with the new growler laws are the prices for growler fills going to go up? Since we don't have to buy their growlers for $5, $10 or $25 will the prices for a fill increase? Will there be two prices? One if you buy their growlers and another if you bring in a growler from another brewery? Just curious. :D
  23. stupac2

I think it depends a lot on the brewery. I bet many aren't making (much) money on their glass so it won't really matter.
  24. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

While I do see most breweries eventually doing the hanger tag and filling blank growlers, I don't see many buying a shrink wrapper and adding that labor to growler fills, and I won't blame them either.
  25. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

Your homer gibberish aside, I think you inadvertently stumbled onto something. This part of their post:

"We will also have our own internal company policies which will be shared when the time comes!"

Suggests to me that they may accept different breweries' growlers, but will probably charge a few bucks extra to fill them.
  26. Most breweries make maybe a dollar or two off of their growlers, especially typical glass growlers. The profit is in the beer most of the time. Some of the stainless growlers and swing tops are bigger money makers, but it really shouldn't make a dent in their profits if they're filling other growlers.
    pinkgrenade likes this.
  27. stupac2

Yeah, but making a dollar or two might not even be enough to cover the cost of ordering, storing, and stocking the glass, which is something that I'm not sure small breweries take into consideration. Yesterday I was at Russian River and saw a guy spend ~10 minutes just stacking empty glass so they could sell it, his time costs something.

But to be clear I totally agree, I think this is a win-win, I doubt breweries will lose money on this.
  28. The growler itself is not a money maker
  29. Breweries in many states across the country fill non-proprietary growlers, and manage to do so without charging a premium. I can't imagine that California breweries will try to stick customers with an outside growler fee.

My guess is that RR's allusion to "internal company policies" will relate to a refusal to fill clear, green, or stinky growlers, in order to insure that their beer doesn't suffer due to another's incompetence.
  30. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

I'm betting the internal policies will be:

a) sizes, they will only fill certain sizes say 1L, 2L, 32/64oz
    b) require non-generic to have a covered label by the patron, they will not cover it for you

Both totally reasonable. Also, it takes only 1 or 2 big breweries to start doing this and when they don't get busted over it, more breweries that are a little iffy will hop on board. Alesmith/RR are 2 awesome breweries to lead the way.
    drewone likes this.
  31. RR growlers only cost $5, as it is. All other breweries selling the swing top 2L are charging $10+ (SN, Stone). Based on that, I always assumed RR was selling them at cost.
  32. For anybody too lazy to click the link, here is Russian River's new tags...
    They will be applied to all growler fills, blank, covered, and their own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rollzroyce21, JustXBeer and stupac2 like this.
  33. stupac2

Awesome. Are they using them yet? Where'd you find those? (I don't see your mentioned link.) I assume the labels are just from TTB, but the picture is pretty sweet.
  34. MacNCheese

35. Boom. See, it's not that hard. Notice the two breweries, Alesmith and RRBC, that went forward with this thing happen to be two breweries that charge low prices for glass. I'd bet the last ones on board will be the ones charging a grip for glass (i'm looking at you Eagle Rock).

Also, props to RR for not using Comic Sans.
  36. MacNCheese

Funny...all it took was a little patience to let the info be digested and a solution figured out. Unlike some turds who demanded action weeks ago and threw a hissy fit.
  37. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, some breweries were receptive to the idea from the beginning and didn't need coaxing. Some smart people placed pressure on those who were wishy-washy and used "it's the law" as an excuse. I am happy this is happening.

I deleted your BM unread, by the way.
  38. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Alpine charges $10 for the same growler ballast point charges $3 for.
    MikeTen likes this.
  39. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Is Ballast Points just white screen printing? Alpine has blue and yellow right? Not sure how much it would cost for 2 prints vs. 1, but shouldn't be $7 different.