1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Russian River to start filling Generic Growlers

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jamex, Mar 22, 2013.

1. I have a feeling that the 12L Temptation bottle is not going anywhere. I think that was opened for Natalie's 40th.

If you are right about them filling anything under 2L I will be super excited, although I'm not expecting it based on me asking that exact question a couple hours ago. I would just love to be able to get the beers in 750ml growler format and would even pay a little bit extra on a per oz basis. It would sure be a lot easier to drink a growler by myself or send one out. I guess while I'm working on my wish list I might as well just have them put Compunction on tap permanently.
  2. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I really, really think that they'll fill smaller formats. It makes absolutely no sense for the tag to have a spot for "size" if they're not at least considering it. I mean, if the answer is no, then why bother adding it?
  3. I wish they'd sell them direct too. I don't want to bother covering someone's logo. Of course there are alternatives: Hydroflask, Klean Kanteen, That Kickstarter. I bought a Hydroflask since the Brauler isn't available unbranded. They'll lose money here until they start offering some direct and unbranded instead of having everyone go through a Brewery.
    JustXBeer likes this.
  4. stupac2

Yeah I didn't realize they were only sold through breweries. That's a really bizarre business decision if you ask me.
  5. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Your right. They were at $5 a few years back. I think when the bottle prices increased is when the growler increased.
  6. dcgunman

Is RRBC new growler fills in affect right now? Is there any other brewery's that's started to fill other brewery's growlers yet? I haven't heard anything yet except for RRBC.
  7. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Alesmith is going through the approval process. I think Societe is doing something as they've said they won't fill any screwtop growlers, but as to where in the process...I don't know.

Others may be in the process having not announced anything or taking the wait-and-see approach for a bit to make sure this is how it is before jumping on board.
  8. Will russian river now fill unbranded growlers such as the hydroflask growler?
  9. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

They need approval first and will then announce some "internal policies." So right now, no.
  10. Thanks. I am moving out to santa rosa soon and need to get this cleared up :)
    In your opinion (or anyone else's) do you see russian river likely to fill these generic growlers? In my opinion, based on past experiences elsewhere,they will, but will raise the price of beer while lowering the price of their own growlers.
  11. dcgunman

So it is up to the brewery's if they will fill growlers from somewhere else? Some may and some may not? Different brewery's will have different rules on what they can and cannot do. Call ahead before bringing your other brewery's growlers with you to fill.
  12. MikeTen

I'm not the right person to ask, but I imagine they will; otherwise, why create a new tag at all?

The fact that they were willing to jump on this so quickly speaks to their enthusiasm. But yeah, I read the "internal policies" comment the same way: discount for their branded growlers or slight upcharge for non-branded growlers.
  13. There's no unbranded Brauler? That's weird. I was looking forward to getting one + the CO2 injection system. I guess I'll have to go with the DrinkTanks one.
  14. MacNCheese

You're reading a lot into the quote below. Without an official press release, don't start rumors.

15. MikeTen

It's not a rumor - it's speculation. I said "I read it that way," not "I heard..."

For example, you wrote above "I think Societe is doing something." That's speculation, too.
  16. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Russian River will be doing generic growler fills of sours. FACT.
  17. dcgunman

I'm trying to contact Societe on their policy. I will be there on Monday and I do have one of those fancy german style growlers (from Hanger 24) I would like to bring with me to Societe. But I dont think their new growler policy will be in affect by next Monday. It would be nice so I wouldn't have to buy another $25 growler. But I may end up getting one of those SS growlers!
  18. MacNCheese

All I know is they're in the process of figuring something out after talking to the bartenders. They do not have label approval (AFAIK) for a hanger tag for a generic, so they won't be filling any other growlers. The only thing they have said is they won't fill screwtop growlers.

If things have changed, it'd be news to me. I'll be there tomorrow night. I'll repost if I hear anything new.

Clarification: I don't believe they have released an official announcement on the policy, so just treat everything as rumor until then.
    dcgunman likes this.
  19. dcgunman

Thank you MnC
  20. To my knowledge the only unbranded ones were given out as part of the kickstarter as a reward.

Your post made me go to the website to see if they were selling direct just to make sure, since the last time I visited there site was November 2012. They added this:
    So there is a good possibility of a few breweries or brew supplies selling unbranded ones now.
    pmarlowe likes this.
  21. stupac2

Yeah but why add the middleman? Especially one that's not a particularly efficient retailer. Throw that shit on Amazon, man.
    sirtomtom, pmarlowe and teamizm like this.
  22. So RR, Alesmith, and maybe Societe are heading towards filling generic growlers...

Anyone know of any other breweries hopping on board with this?
  23. dcgunman

I recently messaged Societe on their growler policy and this was their response. . . . .

This is something we will be working toward. We have not submitted a label to the ABC yet for approval (as RRBC has already done).
    When we do get through all the hoops and have a label approved we will let everyone know for sure!
    395er and pmarlowe like this.
  24. Is there any work going on to remove this idiotic labeling rule as well?
  25. futura123

futura123 Savant (330) California Jul 29, 2010

FIFY. Two hours ride one way not always desired.
  26. This. Now that the current law has been explained, we need to get the "unlabeled" aspect removed so that we can utilize growlers from other breweries.
  27. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

No. ABC was prodded and responded by reinterpreting the rule. Now they have sunk back in to the shadows while people prod breweries to accommodate this new silly interpretation. Allow blanks, but only in individually labeled and registered sizes? Gee, thanks ABC! Maybe instead of hammering the breweries after ABC spoke breweries and consumers should have fired back "That's not good enough". Instead some are choosing to accept the new interpretation as acceptable and cursing any breweries who don't immediately accommodate them.Now the pressure is off ABC on this. At least for the next 20-40yrs or so. Give or take.
    /rant
  28. stupac2

What? Just cover the markings. Is it really that hard to wrap a growler in duct tape? It would take like 20 seconds.

Also, I don't think the ABC can just change the rules whenever it wants, previously when people were trying to do this shit they were lobbying legislators in Sacramento.

Finally, the ABC didn't reinterpret anything, they just clarified that the common-sense reading of the law was correct, and that everyone who thought they were doing it correctly was being overly conservative. This probably explains why the few breweries who said "screw it, we'll fill anything" before were never hassled by the ABC.
  29. Sebowski

1. I don't want my growlers covered in duct tape. Looks like shit.

2. Maybe you're right. Either way, the law should be changed.

3. Yes, they did. Regardless of how the law could have been read ABC used to tell breweries to only fill their own branded growlers. They have changed their stance on the wording without changing the wording. It happens.
  30. stupac2

Fine, so scotch-tape some paper to it. Or get a coozie, or a blank growler. There are dozens of ways to cover your current growler's logos. Would it be ideal if we could just fill whatever? Yeah, of course, but being able to fill blank or covered growlers anywhere is one hell of a lot better than before.

And my conversations with the ABC really, really made it seem like the old interpretation just came out of nowhere. The woman I was speaking with had absolutely no idea that people were doing that, and told me that the law was always clearly that you just needed to have some kind of label on it. If this was something that came from the ABC at some point it definitely changed, because current staff didn't even realize people were doing that.
  31. Sebowski

I'd be on board with a coozie. Already have a Ballast Point one. I can turn it inside out and it is blank. Then I can just take it off when I put it in my fridge. I didn't think a blank coozie would satisfy the new interpretation.
  32. stupac2

I believe it would. You could e-mail the ABC for clarification.
  33. Sebowski

This is the part that worries me about it.
    Sounds like Modern Times has already put in for an official approval, so we should know soon enough.
  34. huadog

huadog Savant (340) California May 13, 2009

Anyone know if the growler policy @ RRBC has seen any movement?
  35. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (535) California Apr 3, 2008

They are now putting the tags on their growlers but are not yet filling blank ones.
    huadog likes this.
  36. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) California Mar 19, 2012

I've been getting tags that say "Pliny" etc for the past 3 years, is it this tag or something with more detail?
  37. stupac2

Read the rest of the thread, it's something completely new.
  38. Lawyers are like athletes (bear with me!). Just because I'm a pro badminton player, doesn't mean you want me to be your defensive tackle in football (or at least this is the analogy I give when someone wants me to draw up a living trust or will for their family).

No law school teaches about administrative CA growler laws. . .

Maybe on the surface it appears that way (law background didn't help). . . but he hasn't been shutdown or fined by the ABC as far as I know.

A wait and see approach may not please customers, but it is far less dangerous to the bottom line of a business than just wingin' it and hoping things pan out the way some guys on the internet say it will. . .
    flexabull and jtmartino like this.
  39. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I'm with you on the lawyer stuff, but the part that irks me is that the ABC is really responsive via email. I've sent a few inquiries to a couple different people and received clarifications within 10 business days each time. And I'm not even in the industry.

It seems like breweries weren't into the labor-intensive email process :rolleyes: , because otherwise there's no excuse they didn't get clarification on this issue sooner.

In my industry, if there is even a remote uncertainty about laws and regulations, we contact the regulatory authority ASAP. Pretty straightforward.
    flexabull and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  40. 100% agree with you (as usual).

Its mutually beneficial for everyone that he chimes in here (yet may set up unrealistic expectations that he micromanages every aspect of the business and knows every single issue under the sun under the concept of the ever evolving 'law'), but his time is probably better spent doing other things instead of being the guy contacting administrative bureaucrats for clarifications about growler labeling. Finding his inability to be all knowing about a highly specialized area of knowledge/law and saying his legal background was of no value didn't fit the picture as I saw it. . .

Don't sweat the small stuff. Delegate it.
    jtmartino likes this.