1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ruthless Rye

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SeaOfShells, Dec 27, 2012.

1. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

It seems like just yesterday I was snatching up my first six pack of Celebration. I went to a local grocery store to pick up some provisions last night, and imagine my suprise when I noticed that Celebration had been replaced with Ruthless Rye. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the seasonal release schedule go like this: Spring-Ruthless Rye, Summer-Summerfest, Fall-Tumbler, Winter-Celebration?

I'm certainly not complaining, but I feel like Celebration just came out.

Anyway, the neck of the Ruthless Rye is adorned with a "2013". Also, it's still amazing.
    BeerLover99, baconman91 and dsal89 like this.
  2. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

well damn! I love Ruthless Rye so this is great news
  3. Same here, this is easily my favorite Sierra Nevada seasonal.
  4. dsal89

It is honestly tied with Celebration for me which is my 2nd favorite SN Seasonal. Bigfoot is easily my first. Apparently that is out now too
    Zaphog likes this.
  5. I think SN Bill said it himself, they're not really "seasonals" anymore, they're Q1 release, Q2 release....and so on and so forth. Celebration came out in October, and it's been three months since then, so it makes sense that Ruthless is coming out now. I agree, it does feel like I just picked up my first six pack of Celebration, but no complaints from me here; I actually prefer Ruthless over Celebration.

Cheers!
  6. dsal89

What about the bigfoot? That comes out the same time as Ruthless Rye?
  7. Aldon Smith approves of this...
  8. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

this sounds just about right, as i drank a ton of this stuff during the playoffs last year. cant wait!
  9. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Ruthless Rye was a case where I just bought it the first time because I really liked the packaging artwork. I'm glad it turned out to be a really good beer too!
    dsal89 likes this.
  10. I went to pick up a few groceries last night, I saw a six pack of Ruthless Rye right next to a 12 pack of Tumbler, I guess we're about halfway between Fall and Spring so it works...:rolleyes:
  11. Love some ruthless rye, might be a couple of weeks away here on the east coast.
  12. SeaOfShells

I didn't see any Celebration until November because retailers still had Tumbler on the shelf. Honestly, I love SN, but I think they should take Tumbler out of the lineup. It's still on some shelves where I live.
    SunDevilBeer, mschofield and dsal89 like this.
  13. We live in the same city, I saw it last night.
    I don't think they should take it out of the lineup, I enjoy it, but they should make less of it.
  14. SeaOfShells

Good call. I actually like it also, but it seems like no one buys it and it keeps me from enjoying Celebration!
    mackeyse likes this.
  15. I agree that it's stupid that retailers hold back certain beers until one is gone. I'd hate to see tumbler go, though! I love that beer. Just bought a case of it from a store for $19 because they still have a ton lying around. I just think stores need to order less of it.
  16. Also, from SN Bill himself:
    "I see threads all the time about seasonals creeping earlier and earlier... The economics of filling a seasonal rotation in the market have pushed the rotations into something better resembling quarterly releases rather than true seasonality. We took flak from the beer community over releasing our Spring Maibock in January, so we said forget it...we're going to stop making "spring" beers fit into the first quarter and release the kind of beer we want to drink. For us right now, Ruthless is that beer. (and for me especially, that about the only thing I've drunk in the past three months.)"

(http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ruthless-rye-vs-glissade.5245/page-2#post-64155)
    winbassett likes this.
  17. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (460) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I saw Sam Adams Alpine Spring in the store last night, which I believe is their spring beer.
  18. SeaOfShells

That clears a lot up. Thanks! On the downside, that means that Celebration has run it's course. I prefer Celebration to Ruthless Rye, but both are phenomenal.
    Lordquackingstic likes this.
  19. Agreed, I'm still seeing Tumbler, and I'll still be seeing it as Ruthless comes out, then as Summerfest comes out
  20. Yes, Bigfoot is being released earlier this year, and should stick around longer. We kind of reconfigured our seasonal selections for 2013 into tiers...it actually looks like orbital rings when you look at them all together.

Pale Ale and the 4 year-rounds are in the center.
    Four seasonals in the next ring: Ruthless, Summerfest Tumbler, Celebration-each available for about 3 months. Three High Altitude beers: Bigfoot, Hoptimum, Narwhal-each available for 4 months.
    Our two new Ovila Abbey Ales beers: Ovila Abbey Quad with plums and Ovila Abbey Saison with Satsuma Mandarin and White Pepper available for about 6 months each beginning in February.

In addition to that, we're doing a bigger limited draught release this year too, with wider releases of specialty kegs, with a new one scheduled each month, and two in August... We're calling it the Brewer's Dozen.

Should be a fun year. The new brewery can't come online soon enough!

-Bill
    skinsfan, kuhndog, winbassett and 9 others like this.
  21. dsal89

wow awesome! Thanks!
  22. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

Just saw that Bigfoot has landed in MN, hopefully Ruthless has also arrived.
  23. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

-no shit?!
    ...gotta be makin its way towards OH then soon...i Hope.

BUT yes, i think ur Right on that..its usually in the Spring, they also have/had an ESB (early Spring beer..that (i) didn't see last yr) any1 know anything on that?
  24. baconman91

Sierra killed it last yr...i Love Bigfoot!
    - can't wait for This yrs "installment"
  25. baconman91

bill, u know Anything about the SN ESB?
  26. ETA for the new NC brewery? I agree that standard/seasonal SN beers need to make it to the northeast (me) in a more timely fashion. The geek beers can still be made in Chico & take their time getting here. ;)
  27. baconman91

wow, that's Ridiculous...yeah i've Noticed ovr the Last few "Seasons" - the Lineups are coming out Earlier & Earlier (tryin' to get the Edge on the "other guy" breweries 'eh?!) ;P

- Pretty soon it'll be Pointless 2 call them Seasonal Beers!
  28. Yes, our spring seasonals shift around quite a bit. In 2008-2009 it was E.S.B. (Early Spring Beer.) 2010-2011 was Glissade Golden Bock, and 2012-20?? is now Ruthless Rye IPA.

-B
    baconman91 likes this.
  29. We're hoping to be making beer in NC by fall 2013. The kettles will arrive soon and the fermenters will follow. We're super-strapped for space in Chico so it can't get going soon enough!

-B
    winbassett and SunDevilBeer like this.
  30. baconman91

thx for clearing that up for me...my 17 mnth old kid, prohibits (me) from doin' any "dirty" wrk (research time on the web) myself.
    - Much Love ;)
  31. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Woohoo! Ruthless Rye! Often turns up at Trader Joe's in Cali for $7 a six pack.
  32. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

The Ruthless Rye beats out any of the former spring beers hands down. Looking forward to picking some up tomorrow and very excited that Bigfoot will arrive earlier this year!
  33. SeaOfShells

I vote that Ruthless goes year round when you switch it out for another seasonal.
    LOCAL and hudsonvalleyslim like this.
  34. When autumn comes I can't wait for the Harvest Wethop and Celebration. Now Ruthless in December? It's a Festivus miracle! Not as enthused by Tumbler or Glissade, but Torpedos year round so I'm good. Gotta give Sierra dap for keeping prices down as well.
    baconman91 likes this.
  35. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Savant (380) New York Jan 13, 2012

Am I the only one who thinks Ruthless Rye sucks?
  36. TCaldwell

TCaldwell Aficionado (115) Jul 30, 2012

Pumped to hear Ruthless Rye is already out. Absolutley one of my favorite beers can't wait to see it on the shelf in PA.
  37. SeaOfShells

I'm sure you aren't alone. There's a naysayer for every beer no matter how good it is. Do you like Torpedo?
  38. uptomonto

uptomonto Disciple (60) Indiana Dec 15, 2012

There were a few days of sublime beer experiences last winter/spring on some promising late Feb/early March days sitting on the porch enjoying Ruthless Rye. It really got me through to the blissful days of full spring and watching my hops sprout in the bineyard, the asparagus poking their heads up in the garden, and the onions start to grow in the raised beds all the while listening to spring training games on the radio.
    Does anyone have any other beers to recommend as a match for the greatness of spring time?
  39. SeaOfShells

I found this on Beer Pulse today which is in direct conflict with what I saw (and purchased) last night:
  40. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

Seems to be in conflict. The beer store I work at will be getting Ruthless tomorrow... Can't wait!