1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rye beers: what's good?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by OobyDoobyLou, Feb 1, 2013.

1. I love me some of this (Tyranena - Dirty Old Man):
    [​IMG]

This has been on my to try list, hear good things:
    [​IMG]
    OnWisconsin likes this.
  2. rholmes

rholmes Zealot (95) Florida Sep 11, 2012

Ruthless Rye is absolutely amazing.
  3. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Sixpoint Righteous, Founder's Red Rye, Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye, Harpoon Rye IPA
  4. Ozzie1111

Ozzie1111 Savant (300) New Jersey Jan 26, 2013

I've only tried Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye and Harpoon's rich and dans rye IPA. both good
  5. Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye is a great hop heavy choice
  6. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (290) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

I have a log of Ruthless on tap in the garage now, although it seems to have less rye flavor than the two logs of it I went through last season. Rich and Dan's is my favorite, but not available in my area in logs, so it's Ruthless for me. I've tried the Founders but it doesn't hit me with big rye flavor.
  7. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Cane & Ebel and Upright Six are the two best, IMO.
  8. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (365) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

Not sure about the Hoppin' Frog, but I'm quite certain Black Top wouldn't be considered a rye beer. Definitely a good black IPA though.

Red's Rye is the best I've had, but I'm looking forward to trying the Great Lakes offering.
  9. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Boulevard Rye on Rye, Founders Red Rye PA, Cane and Ebel, FFF Rye'd da Tiger
  10. Orlando

Orlando Aficionado (220) Illinois Aug 7, 2012

FFF Rye Da Tiger is a delicious Rye Double IPA...having one right now. As for Black IPA's Wookey Jack, New Glarus Black Top, and not sure if anyone has mentioned it but Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale is a winner
  11. nah I threw it in the black IPA category. Hence the category label :)
  12. OobyDoobyLou

OobyDoobyLou Aspirant (35) Dec 31, 2012

Im looking for rye ipas mostly since i like the spice character of wookey jack. However any suggestions are helpful. Thanks again!
  13. OobyDoobyLou

OobyDoobyLou Aspirant (35) Dec 31, 2012

Thank for the suggestions! And yeah ive had wookey jack and sublimely self righteous and love them both. Ill give black top a try if i can find it... I cant get FFF over here :(
  14. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (380) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Agreed.
    I LOVE Rye bier!

Two Bros "Cane & Ebel" is bliss.
    Schell's "Emerald Rye" is amazing.
    Ruthless is VERY nice (I like these other more).
    Hot Rod Rye was a HUGE disappoint to me.

I dunno what you get in LA, though :(
  15. I'll 2nd Jacks Abby RIPL Effect
  16. cpolking

cpolking Savant (260) Iowa Jun 13, 2010

Jester King Wytchmaker Rye IPA (I second Ruthless and Boulevard Rye on Rye)
  17. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

18. I would also vote for Hop Rod Rye as one of the best.

If you're into trading, Westbrook in Mt. Pleasant SC is doing a series of single-hop rye ales that are fantastic. Just had a glass of the Nelson Sauvin that was unique and quite tasty.
  19. +1 for Harpoon Rich and Dan's Rye IPA
  20. I'm drinking the new Smitten Rye from Bell's and it's quite nice.
  21. I will also show love for Rye on Rye.

I wish it was easier to find rye beers that aren't IPAs. I find it to be the least interesting way to use rye and I'm not a huge IPA fan to begin with. (I don't mind Ruthless Rye but it's extremely rare that I drink it.)

Local brewery Lakewood Brewing makes Rock Ryder, which is a very nice rye/wheat beer. Avery made a rye saison (17th Anniversary?) that was excellent.
  22. GilGarp

GilGarp Advocate (510) Colorado Mar 14, 2007

Renegade Ryeteous is awesome and comes in a pint-sized can, which is awesome too.
  23. BJasny

BJasny Savant (375) Texas Jul 10, 2011

I will say Founders Red's Rye and Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. I can't remember if I've had Hop Rod Rye but Racer 5 is amazing so I'm sure Hop Rod is as well.
  24. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Where art thou Maximum12?!
  25. I absolutely love rye beers and I have to say that Sixpoint Righteous Ale is my favorite.
  26. This is the first one that came to mind. Awesome beer!
  27. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (515) California Sep 13, 2009

Hop Rod Rye IPA by Bear Republic is a good one, although not a black IPA but still worth it.
  28. Great Divide Hoss is amazing!
  29. +1 on the Brau Bros Rye Wyne. Great beer.
  30. Ruthless Rye is awesome. definately give it a shot!
  31. Wookey Jack was good, but I wouldn't rant and rave, because I thought it was too overbearing, but that's just a preference thing.
    I suggest Widmer Nelson O'rye-ly and Tommyknocker Hop Strike Black RyePA.

Probably the only other person on the planet that enjoyed that. I rated it very highly and thought it was fantastic. +1 to the suggestion!
    Ruthless Rye is actually pretty terrible. Not very balanced at all. Tastes like a boozy, over-malted, yeast filled mess. Too fruity to really be a prime rye example.