1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rye whiskey barrel aged beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cproioi, Feb 1, 2013.

1. cproioi

cproioi Savant (315) Ohio Apr 6, 2006

As we all know there are a huge amount of bourbon barrel aged beers. Does anyone know of any beer aged in rye whiskey barrels? If so what did you think. Personally I normally tend to gravitate towards high rye bourbons and ryes so I was just curious.
  2. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (350) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

3. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

4. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

Tyranena does a porter in Rye Barrels called Dirty Old Man. Subtle barrel notes, but tasty...
  5. mnphish

mnphish Savant (365) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Bourbon County Cherry Rye was amazing
  6. Cherry Rye, Bramble Rye, Rittenhouse Rye, Rye-On-Rye, Rye Wyne Ale, Smoking Wood
    Willbfun and YogiBeer like this.
  7. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

8. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Smoking wood!
    DarthGuitarHero and RyanLigeia like this.
  9. abaculy

abaculy Aficionado (245) Michigan Sep 14, 2005

Founders has had some on tap in the past. Rye Whiskey Barrel-Aged Porter comes to mind. They may have had Red's Rye like that as well. That was one of my favorite beers ever. Period.
  10. Tyranena Dirty Old Man - Imperial Rye Porter Aged In Rye Wiskey Barrels. Really quite a nice beer...
  11. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

You'll have acquire it in a trade until it's (hopefully) released again next year, but: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25888/87246

EDIT: Haven't had it yet, but the regular Abraxas is my favorite stout, easily. This is supposed to taste like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, apparently.
    jaminjohnson likes this.
  12. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

Stout girl here: BC cherry rye = my favorite beer of all time. hands down. :p
    hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  13. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

14. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

And nobody's mentioned Boulevard Rye-on-Rye yet because?...
  15. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

16. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (370) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

OneDropSoup likes this.
  17. Rye on Rye is excellent! Brau Brothers Rye Wyne is phenomenal as well.
    adamcarlson28 likes this.
  18. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I thought it was toooooooooo booooooooozy
  19. Fresh, I'd agree with you. But with a year on it, that beer is amazing!
  20. OneDropSoup likes this.
  21. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/141/58407

So unfortunate, I think this is retired now. It was a small one off that was available exclusively at Julio's and very little hype behind it, so it sat on the shelves forever. I grabbed a crap ton of them. I should've grabbed more :(
  22. bld81

bld81 Aficionado (195) Missouri Mar 9, 2009

Boulevard Rye-on-Rye is aged in Templeton barrels
  23. NateMac13

NateMac13 Savant (350) Illinois Apr 10, 2011

I'm not a big fan of the bourbon and whiskey barrel aged beers but I had a Boulevard Rye on Rye last night and I thought it was fantastic. Usually I find them to be too boozy but I thought this one was very balanced.
    hoptualBrew likes this.
  24. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

question. the description plus bottle indicates aged in bourbon barrels. i'm not 1 hundred, but wonder if the name refers to Ryan (the person) rather than rye, the whiskey?
  25. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Upstream makes a ton... templeton rye. It is noticeable for sure...great beers...
    Now run by mike hall the head brewer for oskar blues when they started out...
  26. IIRC, it was aged in both Bourbon and Rye Whiskey barrels; a combination of Four Roses Bourbon Sazarec and Rye Whiskey I think...It was DELICIOUS in any case. Boulevard Rye on Rye is actually very similar, but I would give Ry(e)an the edge.
  27. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (85) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

I had the BA Abraxas on draft at the release party. After it was allowed to warm to 55-60 degree range (10 minutes after pouring), this was an amazing beer. I didn't get the Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but it's an incredible, roasted chocolate/malty/boozy/spiced gem of a beer. If you can pick this one up in trade - and it will cost you - get it.
  28. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (85) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

Agree on the effects of aging in rye barrels. They add a unique spice, and are not as alcohol forward (at least in the few I've tried). My in-laws are from Iowa, and they've been buying Templeton for me for several years. Love that those barrels are being put to good use!
  29. 10 Barrel "Rye'm or Treason". Quite good. Cheers!
  30. found it:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/320374551316097/
    3 different barrels, one of them was Sazarec Rye
  31. Phenomenal beer. The bourbon version isn't nearly as good.
  32. I find it incredibly annoying when people post links to beers without naming them. This thread is among the worst I have ever seen in this regard.

For what it's worth, I came here to say that Boulevard Rye-on-Rye is good, but Brau Brothers Rye Wyne Ale is even better.
  33. I had some Oskar Blues Old Chub aged in Wild Turkey barrels at a beer fest last year. Taste-wise it was fantastic but it was way, way too boozy. I sipped that beer for a long time and I was in a good place. Fortunately I had hit most of the other beers I wanted to sample before I got to it.
  34. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Rye Barrel Big Black Dog from Flat 12 in Indy is my favorite beer of the past 12 months. Aged in Sazerac Rye barrels.
  35. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (460) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

I believe Uinta Labyrinth is aged in Rye Whiskey barrels...great stuff and year-round too!
  36. as seen from this post above, it's being made periodically. jan 2012 saw the release of batch 2. i believe there is a 3rd in the works.