1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

S Adams White IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rjniles, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Was in Florida recently and ran out of my go-to IPA (Torpedo). Stopped a Publix supermarket as they always carry SN products. They were out of Torpedo. Looked at what they had and saw a 6er of S Adams White IPA for $10 and thought that I would give it a try as I had never had it. In general I like Sam Adams and will get a Boston Lager if a restaurant has nothing else.
    I do not how they could call this stuff IPA. It had a barely detectible hops bite and was disgustingly sweet, reminded me of Blue Moon. Choked my way through 2 bottles and left the rest in the motel room frig. Did not look for a date code to see if it was old. Did Iget a bat batch or is stuff as bad as it seemed to me?

2. Sadly, it is just not any good.

3. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

It's not good. It's MARGINALLY hopped Blue Moon

4. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Sam Adams are obsessed with wits, and they are HORRIBLE at making them. I say that as someone who always has some SA in the fridge. Ain't hating

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Not a fav of mine. Want a good White IPA? Try the Deschutes offering, if you can.

OMsweetOM likes this.
  6. Is this the Whitewater IPA? I actually really enojyed that beer. In fact, its the only Sam Adams offering Ive ever ranked > 4. I had it very fresh though, maybe there is a huge drop off or something. Id put it on par, or above Deschutes Chainbreaker.

7. It was ok at best. The Saranac white IPA was far better, although I liked last year's better (I'm cringing after typing that, picturing responses to the "last year's was better" post, but it was!).

8. JEdmund

JEdmund Savant (465) Kansas Oct 23, 2006

I'll come to the defense... I loved this beer! Maybe you got an old bottle? I loved the apricot flavor in it.