1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

S Adams White IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rjniles, Feb 11, 2013.

1. rjniles

rjniles Member

Was in Florida recently and ran out of my go-to IPA (Torpedo). Stopped a Publix supermarket as they always carry SN products. They were out of Torpedo. Looked at what they had and saw a 6er of S Adams White IPA for $10 and thought that I would give it a try as I had never had it. In general I like Sam Adams and will get a Boston Lager if a restaurant has nothing else.
    I do not how they could call this stuff IPA. It had a barely detectible hops bite and was disgustingly sweet, reminded me of Blue Moon. Choked my way through 2 bottles and left the rest in the motel room frig. Did not look for a date code to see if it was old. Did Iget a bat batch or is stuff as bad as it seemed to me?
  2. jlordi12

jlordi12 Member

Sadly, it is just not any good.
  3. willbm3

willbm3 Member

It's not good. It's MARGINALLY hopped Blue Moon
  4. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Member

Sam Adams are obsessed with wits, and they are HORRIBLE at making them. I say that as someone who always has some SA in the fridge. Ain't hating
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

Not a fav of mine. Want a good White IPA? Try the Deschutes offering, if you can.
    OMsweetOM likes this.
  6. zac16125

zac16125 Member

Is this the Whitewater IPA? I actually really enojyed that beer. In fact, its the only Sam Adams offering Ive ever ranked > 4. I had it very fresh though, maybe there is a huge drop off or something. Id put it on par, or above Deschutes Chainbreaker.
  7. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Member

It was ok at best. The Saranac white IPA was far better, although I liked last year's better (I'm cringing after typing that, picturing responses to the "last year's was better" post, but it was!).
  8. JEdmund

JEdmund Member

I'll come to the defense... I loved this beer! Maybe you got an old bottle? I loved the apricot flavor in it.