1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sabering a Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by boilermakerbrew, Feb 11, 2013.

1. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Member

Ok, this past weekend I watched a youtube video and subsequently sabered a champagne open, it was.....AWESOME. I know, I'm immature and cheap to impress, but it got me thinking; can I saber a beer?

I've watched videos online, and it appears possible, although I do have a few concerns. Is the beer pressurized enough? I know champagne can be opened this way because of the high carbonation, but beer is usually less carbonated. Also, I assume the beer has to be a pry off or caged and corked?

Any of you guys try this? I'll probably try it regardless, but if there is a disaster story out there, the heads up will be appreciated. If I do try it and injure myself, I'll be sure to post pictures for the hilarity to ensue.
    beerchick14 likes this.
  2. joeebbs

joeebbs Member

3. JAramini

JAramini Member

I saw a sabering video and tried it on beer and it worked. I don't think I've ever done a corked and caged bottle, only capped. And, with no saber on hand, I did it with the back of a chef's knife.

I don't think I drank any glass particles, it seemed to work for me, but I couldn't truly recommend this. I've done it to less than 10 bottles ever, but when I discovered it, it seemed like a neat trick. A bottle opener is still probably your best bet.
  4. JAramini

JAramini Member

You know, I think I did try it with a twist off and it worked, but pry off seemed better. But, again, this is not a terribly smart idea - haven't done it in 5+ years.
  5. Tballz420

Tballz420 Member

Looks like one of the better ways to cut your thumb off
    brikelly and YaKnowBrady like this.
  6. Rosty

Rosty Member

I have done this a few times with both. Two things I learned the hard way. Make sure you use the back or blunt side of the "saber", and two have the bottle chill upside down in a bucket of ice for at least ten to fifteen minutes. The glass needs to get extremely cold. Oh and watch for shards of glass. It is not a matter of carbination of the liquid, but a matter of cleanly breaking off the frozen glass.
  7. Rosty

Rosty Member

Oh and do it outside.
    boilermakerbrew likes this.
  8. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I used to do this in college for fun, it's pretty stupid. We would just turn the beer upside down a few times to agitate a bit, then swipe at an upward angle, aiming to hit the part on the neck where the glass narrows below where you attach the crown. Use the rear of a knife, I typically used a butter knife I stole from the dining hall.

And definitely be careful while drinking, you really don't want to drink broken glass (but I never did, obviously).
  9. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Member

Got it. When I did it with champagne I did chill it and used the seam of the bottle as a video told me. I had no incident with glass as I pointed it away from everyone and was outside. The break was clean, although sharp, and no glass was in the bottle.

Sounds like with my minimal experience and reckless disregard of personal safety, this is easily doable. Thanks for all the advice!
  10. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Member

The next logical progression is to try it with a mace.
  11. crushedvol

crushedvol Member

I'm curious what the odds of a catastrophic accident is? 1 in 100?

I guess what i'm saying is i would like 100 of you to try this.
  12. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

yes it's easy... go down the seam though... and use a blade that you aren't concerned about ruining, and outside as someone mentioned is ideal if you can...

actuall sabering is later in the video on the bottle of peppercorn triple... www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M-XYSP-P4w

The Beer champagne examples..

13. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Member

I don't know that I would recommend drinking out of that. You're asking to swallow glass shards
  14. Blargimus

Blargimus Member

15. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Member

I open mine with my Glock 30 .45 ACP. Never bring a saber to a gun fight.
    franklinn and MysteryWest like this.
  16. Highbrow

Highbrow Member

only because a bazooka is overkill?
    :)
    dsal89 likes this.
  17. This is the dumbest thing I ever saw. I expect I will see it in a Brewdog video soon.
    MysteryWest likes this.
  18. myspoonistoobig

myspoonistoobig Member

I wouldn't recommend trying this. Champagne bottles are typically holding between 5 and 7 volumes of co2, resulting a relatively high psi. It's that pressure that provides the clean break during sabrage and minimizes glass shards. With beer, the volumes of co2 vary pretty widely, especially with bottle conditioning, and are typically much lower. I can only imagine this will lead to disappointment, ruined bottles of beer, ruined knives and/or visits to the ER.

edit: added that beer is usually bottled with fewer volumes of co2.
  19. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

Not a problem doing it, the bottle breaks cleanly, I would do it with some styles more than others.
  20. pmoney

pmoney Member

Have you ever opened a Drie Fonteinen bottle? You'll shoot yer eye out!
  21. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

sabering is incredibly dumb- that being said, please post a video of your attempt.
    franklinn likes this.
  22. loafinaround

loafinaround Member

One of the few things more precious than my beers is my chef's knife. I'll stick to the low-amusement thumb pushing up cork method.
  23. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

wow... lots of people getting all bent out over this....

If you're going to do this, I'll just repeat what I said. Use a knife you don't mind getting ruined that's big enough that will do the job, or if you really care go buy an actual champagne saber... if you want to fork over at least another $150 clams to open up something nice. A cheap knife will work, but will get bent out of shape.. but it does the job.

Second... stand outside... unless you don't mind a little mess to clean up. Every bottle has a vertical seam, this is where you want the blade to hit the bottle because that is the weakest point.

Do not chop the bottle like an axe! You quickly run the blade along the side parallel in a quick motion and hit the edge. The bottle will snap cleanly at that point in a nice cut, taking the opening with the cork still inside.

It's a nice little celebration to do on occasion. Opened many bottles of champagne this way, and a few brews. It works great on Champagne Biere Brut as you can imagine. As I said before, I would do this with "some" styles, not all of them for obvious reasons.

The bottle will not explode in our hand, you will not get glass in your beer, you will not die...

I would suggest it as a special occasion thing to try, instead of an everyday thing... if you're intent on showing off chances are you will screw it up, so I'd suggest you rethink why you want to do this. It is a great way to enjoy a drink for a special time.

And if it doesn't work... well you can always just pop the cork the traditional way ;)
    boilermakerbrew likes this.
  24. queens1130

queens1130 Member

25. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Member

If you really want to impress the BA community, try this with a Lost Abbey.
  26. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Member

You're right. I thought the chorus of, "Do it and post the video of you losing a hand!" would be louder haha.

But anyway, I'm not going to try it with anything valuable or crazy, just something I have around.

I do appreciate everyone supplying their input though.
  27. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Member

The Brooklyn Kitchen chef sabers a bottle of Local 1

28. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

You guys think I can use my Jack Sparrow replica sword?
    queens1130 likes this.
  29. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Member

Dude's shirt is perfect!
  30. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Member

TheBoog013 likes this.
  31. LeRose

LeRose Member

It's rusty...you will get tetanus on top of loosing a hand, putting an eye out, and consuming glass shards. Better use Norrington's to reduce the risk :))
  32. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

I actually just had a chance to watch that first video... blade is huge on such a tiny neck, but he pulled it off.

Although hopefully he didn't slice his lips open drinking from the bottle after that ;)
  33. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Member

Will this work on the new 32 oz. bottles of Sucks?
  34. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Only with a machete.
  35. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Member

36. Sneers

Sneers Member

Someone needs to brush up on probability. [I feel like I should put an emoticon here to imply meant this in jest, but I refuse to use them]

In any case, I've never done this, but I suspect using a champagne-style bottle would be better than one with steep shoulders. I think you can get it going faster without approaching at too sharp an angle. Of course, the guy in that first video pulled it off anyways.