1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sacramento BAs - Good shops?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by amart79, Mar 4, 2012.

1. amart79

amart79 Aficionado (130) California Jan 14, 2012

The only shop i've been to in Sac is pangea. I usually do most of my shopping in Davis (where I live). Any good bottle shops that I'm missing out on?

2. azureoval

azureoval Savant (425) California Jan 25, 2010

I don't think there is anything in Sac that you cannot get at the Coop, DBS or Nugget. You may be able to save a few bucks at Total Wine but with gas at 4.30 you will lose out in the long run. I make the trek from Lincoln to Davis just to get your selection.

3. amart79

Yea i usually just go to Total Wine (I work in Sac). The nugget in Davis is pretty good. I assume you've been to the Davis Beer Shoppe?

4. azureoval

I have been a few times. Very cool little bottle shop that we are lacking here in Sac (perferably in Roseville). I work off of truxle and Davis is not too far away from there.

5. amart79

oh yea, not far at all. The Beer Shoppe is pretty awesome, its been a great addition to Davis.

6. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

this place could use a true beer shop but the initial overhead, rent, and necessity of at least some cooler space would make finding a suitable location difficult. But if you can price your beers fairly and get in good with the distributors so you could become the one stop beer shop for the Rocklin Roseville area you'd probably do alright. As it sits now I have to go to two or three different locations just to get one beer that I'm looking for.

7. azureoval

ok, maybe not roseville. How about something right off i80 and in the sacramento distrobution area. They seem to get stuff a little sooner that Placer co. does anyway.

8. amart79

I think a good bottle shop would KILL in this area

9. SHODriver

but at that point you're starting to encroach on Davis Beer Shoppe territory. You'd need the same setup or better to draw business. Roseville has potential but where do you put it where it is accessible but not exactly next door to a competitor and still get decent traffic? South Roseville wouldn't be bad but it still comes down to somebody with the bankroll seeing the need and trying to capitalize. but really as long as word gets out somehow to beer lovers that there is a bomb place in Sac or the Rocklin/Roseville area to get everything you want without breaking the bank it might do fairly well.

10. azureoval

I would like to think so too but with Total Wine here and their cheap prices and coupons I just don't know. Not everybody gets excited at the site of a hard to find Kriek, Geueze or BA whatever. I used to go out to Davis just for the CoOp because you never knew what kind of cool new beer they would have. I remember seeing a shelf full of 09 eclipse there and saying "damn these are expensive but I guess I will give them a try" . That really never happens in Sac.

PaulStoneAnchor and amart79 like this.
  11. amart79

I definitely want to try the CoOp more often. Ive only really gone one but I was impressed

12. azureoval

Don't sleep on the Nuggets or Aggie liquor either. They tend to have the big name beers well after everywhere else is out.

13. amart79

Aggie Liquor? Never really thought of looking there for craft beer. Haven't been in a while, maybe I'll have to check it out again. I definitely hit up the nugget a lot on my way home from work haha

14. azureoval

The one on 5th and L (I believe) had some nice stuff the last time I was there.

15. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Aggie Liquor probably has Pliny more often than anywhere else in town (not counting the Graduate, which almost always has it on tap). Other than that, their selection is run of the mill.

16. nickseevers

nickseevers Zealot (75) California Mar 18, 2012

Is there a place better in the Greater Sacramento area then Total Wine? I live close to the new one on Arden, seems better then anywhere else I've seen in Sacramento.

17. azureoval

If you count Davis as out of the Greater Sacramento area then I would have to say no. Unless you guys are hiding something from us South Placer BA's .

18. SHODriver

I'd say between the Arden Bevmo and the Total Wine there you can find most anything that'd currently in distribution in the Sac area. About the only reason to drive to Davis would be for Midnight Sun, some offerings from Anchorage, and maybe some belgian stuff if you're into that kinda thing.

19. nickseevers

nickseevers Zealot (75) California Mar 18, 2012

I think between Total Wine, BevMo and Whole Foods on Arden I have just about all the beers in the Sacramento area pretty close. I'm sure there are random beers I can't get, but I'm a newbie, so I'll be occupied for a little while.

20. Yeah, I definitely remember when the Davis CoOp had the full shelf of 09 EC Eclipse. I ended up picking up a bottle, and also thought it was expensive $20.

21. To reiterate.

As far as Sac bottle shops go, you nailed it with Pangaea - probably the most interesting bottle shop in Sac since they've stepped up their program recently.

The Arden duo of BevMo and Total Wine, as others have mentioned, are of course cheaper and have more volume, but it seems to me the product is definitely looked after and cared for more by folks at places like Pangaea or Davis Beer Shoppe... I've had one too many stale bottles from BevMo to be sure.

22. azureoval

You have thing well covered with those three. Sometimes when I get off work early I will swing by those three stores on the way home. They usually have a little different selection than the south Placer stores do.

23. evbask1

evbask1 Zealot (75) California Dec 11, 2011

theres a lot of quality beer stores in folsom pliny and other are regular buys for me. our whole foods has a bier garten.