1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Saddle Bock Brewing, Springdale AR

Discussion in 'US - South' started by russpowell, Dec 21, 2012.

1. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Anybody try their beer yet? I saw some in growlers at a Macadoodles in Springdale, but $15 for a growler of beer sitting at room temp seemed a bit of risk. Any feedback is appreciated
  2. CRJMellor

CRJMellor Advocate (630) Arkansas Nov 12, 2003

actually going to try to check it out tomorrow ! finally got a day to myself and going to see if I can find and check the place out
  3. CRJMellor

CRJMellor Advocate (630) Arkansas Nov 12, 2003

Got by this afternoon for a few hours and must say pretty impressed. Beer is not world class but Steve knows what he is doing as built a very weel-engineered brewhouse with room to expand and has a great business model to make this a go. Hefeweizen and Dunkelweizen were both really great and very quaffable.
    Pale Ale did not do it for me but is very popular and certainly drinkable. Blonde ale is a Kolsch style but pushes the limit and needs a little work. Good tasting beer but not exact to style. Very good stout on draught and a chocolate version in the fermenters. For a region that is absolutely starved for decent local brew this place will do very well.

Owner and brewer is a great guy, awesome staff and location, while remote a bit difficult to find is worth the trip if in the area. as they continue to add parking, bit bigger bar/tasting area, maybe a patio will be a good destination.
  4. BlueMoon10

BlueMoon10 Savant (415) Mississippi Mar 29, 2013

Was in the area last weekend for a wedding and stopped by Saddlebock. Like CRJ said it is a little hard to find and off the beaten path but is definitely a cool place. I got the sampler while I was there that came with five but the bartender gave me a sixth sample of a beer that they were working on. The bartender said it didn't turn out the way they were hoping but I of course didn't mind trying it. The I believe their sampler consisted of Dirty Blonde Ale, Hefeweizen, Dunkelweizen, Farmhouse, and a Stout. The Farmhouse was my favorite and I had a pint of it before leaving. The owner and staff were really nice and had no problem telling me other breweries and bars to check out. I hate this brewery is 5+ hours from where I live because I would definitely pick up growlers on a regular basis.
  5. capnamerica

capnamerica Savant (295) Arkansas Feb 19, 2013

The Dunkel and Farmhouse are pretty good, but there are better breweries in the area.
  6. estlinska

estlinska Savant (270) Arkansas Sep 30, 2010

I tried their Hefe on tap at the Saucer last weekend. It was pretty solid. It wasn't the best I've ever had, but I really was impressed with its quality. I'll keep trying stuff on tap (I'm not buying a warm growler).
  7. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (330) Arkansas Feb 16, 2009

Hope to make it this weekend to the brewery. We need our breweries in NW Arkansas, indeed all of Arkansas.
  8. capnamerica

capnamerica Savant (295) Arkansas Feb 19, 2013

I would definitely hit Fossil Cove in Fayetteville and Core in Springdale as well.
  9. rtrasr

I will.
  10. rtrasr

I love the Dirty Blonde. Had some at Damn Good Pies, love it.
  11. EagleTalon

EagleTalon Advocate (520) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2002

Really enjoyed the beers at West Mountain. The Tiny Tim's pizza there was good too.
  12. russpowell

I need to go back, been a while, I like where NW Arkansas is heading beer-wise.
  13. EagleTalon

I hear ya. I'm moving much closer to NWA in about a year from now. Back to Tulsa. I will definitely be making day trips to all the breweries in the area. Looks like the beer scene in Fayetteville is kicking Tulsa's (and Little Rock's for that matter and hell, there's no craft brewing ass to kick in El Dorado, where I am now).
  14. russpowell

A few up & comers in OK, but the stupid laws are still a big drag on the potential beer scene. I am very impressed with some of the newer breweries up in SW Mizzou as well (Mothers, Piney River & White River are all solid)
  15. EagleTalon

I think the OK brewers are kicking ass in spite of the laws. By focusing on production brewing, they can brew strong beer but have to go thru the 3 tier system exclusively. But they need to have taprooms and growlers to go at those facilities like we do in AR.
  16. russpowell

I need my brewpubs, lived in Colorado for 4+ years & got spoiled. A lot of great beers are spawned in those laboratories. Laws are loosening up a bit for brewers from what I understand, effective in November I believe...