Saint Arnold Divine Reserve 12 just bottled!!

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by raffy313, Jul 23, 2012.

1. MattCinatl

MattCinatl Aficionado (145) Texas Aug 30, 2009

Try CM Westgate. They just got theirs today, maybe you'll get lucky.

2. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Haven't tried DR12 yet, but I did notice about two inches of muck at the bottom of the bombers when I was tagging item numbers on them at work (the bombers aren't in our system, so we're selling it as Pumpkinator). Did you have a bomber or a 12 oz bottle?

3. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

It was a 12oz bottle.

[​IMG]

4. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

DAMN! thats a bit much!

Edit, I have it in all my bottles too.

5. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (230) Texas Dec 22, 2011

That's unfortunate. The 12oz I opened last night was clear and lacking the sediment in your pic.

6. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Were the previous releases homebrew recipes?

7. Exiled

Its not like your typical sediment you find in beer/bottles. This stuff is like a lava lamp. Its like the consistency of shampoo...

All the rest of my bottles also have this sediment/goo built up on the bottom of the bottles. (pour carefully)

8. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (935) Texas Jun 14, 2012

Wow, that's disconcerting.

I inspected the bottles in my 6-pk and none appear to have any sediment like that in them.

9. crusian

all mine do too. I'll try to swirl it in, and one without the swirl.

10. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

All of mine have the shampoo in them, 6pk from Siegals on Greenville and 6pk from Specs Dallas. I'm usually a defender of SA/Rahr hell even Shiner on occasion but this is shit.

Exiled likes this.
  11. Exiled

This stuff is thick! Take a bottle, turn it sideways, wait about 10 seconds, hold it up to a light, and watch all the "shampoo" fall down/around.

[​IMG]

12. TX-Badger

Will do, I didn't hold it upside down that long. Doesn't sound promising.

13. fffffffffffffff... mine has it too. but only in my 2 bombers though

14. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (230) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Fortunately all my bottles are good, but that sucks about the inconsistency to that degree.

15. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

A couple of mine have it, but none to the "shampoo" degree.

16. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Is this just in bottles purchased in DFW by chance? Anyone get the shampoo outside Dallas?

17. I did

18. Exiled

Imagine what the bottom of a DR12 keg looks like! :eek:

pwsoldier likes this.
  19. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (450) Texas Feb 3, 2009

This is not good for them. I need to go check mine now.

20. TX-Badger

I have to ask, has St. Arnold's said whether this substance is supposed to be in the bottles?

21. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (230) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I don't recall seeing anything like this in the one bottle I drank. When I get home I plan to inspect the remaining bottles.

champaynes likes this.
  22. pwsoldier

From their website:

"We did not filter this beer. When pouring we recommend decanting it, carefully pouring the first 10 or 11 ounces without allowing the sediment to enter the glass. If you want, you can pour the bottom of the bottle into a separate glass, but you will discover that the decanted beer is a little brighter in flavor."

champaynes likes this.
  23. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Had the last pour of a keg yesterday and fortunately it was clear.

Exiled likes this.
  24. Exiled

Last pour...or the tap clogged!?! lol I kid, I kid.... but seriously...

25. pwsoldier

Popped open a 12 oz bottle tonight. No sediment or carbonation issues (I left about 1/2 oz in the bottle). It tastes pretty much how I'd expect a very young old ale to taste: some british hop influence, lots of malt sweetness, and a bit of booze. I think some age/oxidation will do wonders for this beer.

champaynes likes this.
  26. TX-Badger

Thanks! I didn't read far enough on their website. I opened one and am trying it now. I haven't noticed the mysterious "shampoo" either in the bottle or in what I poured into a glass. It's not bad, but not great either. Same flavor profile as others have stated.

27. crusian

Opened one of mine tonight too. I don't have as much shampoo as the picture above, but had a little. Decanted tasted, then mixed it in. Not a huge difference in flavor, but I assume that one above would! I would definitely compare this to old curmudgeon... Sweetness hits the tip of the tongue initially then fades. Lots of caramel, not too hot. Agree with above statements about sitting on it, but to be honest, not too sure what it would do. The booze is not as strong as I was expecting.

28. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

I did end up with a 6 pack from CM Westgate earlier.

Thanks for the suggestion

29. champaynes

champaynes Initiate (0) Texas Dec 14, 2011

U mad bro?

30. kspongeworthy

kspongeworthy Savant (305) Texas Feb 25, 2011

I don't know, I didn't do my research prior to consuming and judging. Are you defending them? Is this your recipe? Did I hurt some feelings?

31. Exiled

DR10 was a homebrew recipe winner that won the contest when it had like 3-4 years age on it if im not mistaken. Though DR10 was no "winner" in my eyes, but SA said "to age it for a few years, and it would evolve into whats it was intended to be like."

DR11 im not sure about...

DR12 was also a homebrew recipe winner that was no "winner" in my eyes either, and once again SA said "to age it for a few years, and it would evolve into what it was intended to be like."

To me when it comes to the DR series, SA aught to be coming up with these recipes themselves, and releasing them when they are actually "ready".

32. FUNKPhD

This is why I ask.

I haven't had 12, so I have no stance on it, but based on previous releases, I was in no rush to wait for something that, based on the style is going to need to wait a few months, and there will be plenty of it available for years to come. I know I collected an almost complete vertical in less than six months through various sources, some of those bottles being SA sponsored events, so I'll get to it when I get to it, but if it's as available as 11, I think I know a few places that should have it for a while.

33. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

SA ought to be doing what they want to do. It's not like they're losing money on this.

I'll say again: it was either have the customer cellar the beer, or not make it at all.

34. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (380) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I think it's more about having a recipe that's makes a beer that is good/"ready" to drink fresh. Having the potential to also age it is great but should not be required(old ales included). Many companies release beers from homebrewers pro am competitions. The problem with Saint Arnold is they have a bigger reputation and the divine series has quite a bit of hype going.

I don't really understand what the big deal is. It's a decent beer. No more no less. It will most likely get a bit better with some age but I certainly don't expect it to change into some great beer because of aging.

35. FUNKPhD

So of all the bottles produced and sold, how many people in Texas are actually going to "cellar" it properly? Of all the people that bought bottles, how many have an actual cellar, let alone a beer fridge, or some other way to properly age it?

I understand what you're saying, but I feel that the majority of people that have hands on this will either not give a shit about sitting on a beer for a few years, or have a proper way to store it. If SA wants its best profile to come out with age, I think they should have released the fresh DR12 under a different name, perhaps "Pro-Am Old Ale" or something, and they age it and release it as DRxx.

Just a thought.

36. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I am pretty sure nearly all DRs are a product of a homebrew contest. I know DR11 was and I am sure DR13 will be. Not sure if it is in this thread that someone mentioned it will be a Black IPA. I am sure that Brock will recommend cellaring that style too!

37. Exiled

After doing some research, DR11 was not a homebrew recipe, it was actually created by Saint Arnold.

DR11 - "This will be the second time the Saint Arnold Divine Reserve series offered a Double IPA, but this is the first Double IPA created by the Saint Arnold brew crew (the recipe for Saint Arnold Divine Reserve No. 3, also a Double IPA, was based on a winning entry from the Big Bash Brew Bash)."
    http://blog.mysanantonio.com/food/2011/03/saint-arnold-divine-reserve-11-release-date-announced/

38. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

DR11 was most definitely an in house beer.

According to the Divine pages on the St. A website, they only give credit on 3, 5, and 12 as being homebrews. I thought there may have been 1 or 2 more, but I do think most were in house recipes.

39. Exiled

I know DR10 was a homebrew recipe as well...

40. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

A lot of the people buying these don't even realize what they are buying, so of course they won't be cellared properly, if at all. The few times I have actually been amongst a crowd for a DR release, the vast majority didn't even know the style of the beer they were getting. They just knew it came in a purple label and it was St Arnold. Release days have sucked ever since the Chronicle started promoting them. People see an article the day before the release and then hit the stores. Hell, I've had Miller Lite drinking friends that get caught up in the frenzy and buy a 12 pack... only to end up giving me 11 bottles a couple weeks later.