1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve 12 just bottled!!

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by raffy313, Jul 23, 2012.

1. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

Actually, now that I look back at the previous winners of the Big Batch Brew Bash, it looks like the last 6 winners may have been Divine recipes, as the styles match up with the releases... with the 7th being the Black IPA. So its about half.

http://www.thekgb.org/BigBatchBrewBash/PreviousWinners.aspx

2. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

canadianghetto likes this.
  3. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

greenspointexas and Exiled like this.
  4. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

i take it most of you weren't in this from the start....

twiggamortis420 and champ103 like this.
  5. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

I was. My memory just sucks. I blame beer.

6. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Wow, I didn't realize the hype train was that strong in Houston. That explains why you guys run out so fast while retailers in other cities take a few days to sell through it. Hell, I bought four bottles of Pumpkinator a full month after the release.

I understand SA wanting to get "noobs" to try their beers and become interested in craft, but hyping a 10% abv limited release beer probably isn't the best way to do it. It's generally better to start small, imo.

7. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

No kidding. Its like the forums are going back 3 years. Where is assurbanipaul and armock when you need them:D

8. FUNKPhD

I take it that you're commenting on the change of topic? If so, I guess it looks like you guys weren't following?

9. champ103

No, this is just the same old conversation that was been going on for years, and every time a new DR is released. I wish I could bring up some posts from the old site on this subject. They are hilarious.

10. FUNKPhD

Ah, just double checking. I suppose it's the steady stream of new BA's and the changing style of DR. It is rather unfortunate that the out forum threads don't seem accessible.

11. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

12. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

i had no desire really to hunt this one down (houston), but just walked into the small shop around the corner from my house to pick up a few things, and the guy asked if i wanted some DR.

surprised me they got it. i had to beg them to carry karbach and jester king. they don't seem to move much besides liquor and the macros.

13. randomtim

randomtim Aspirant (35) Apr 18, 2012

Picked up a bomber at specs rr. They said they had a half case left as of 8pm.

14. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Blanco/1604 has a few bombers on the shelf, and they don't appear to have the "crud" in them. We're hoping to get our bombers swapped out tomorrow.

15. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

A lot of haters in here. If you're that pissed about it, send it to me. We should be supporting our Texas breweries not shredding them when they come out with something you don't like. And honestly, who doesn't have space to age a beer. Also, if it was intended to be aged, how can you say this is an attempt to make it more marketable to a broader audience.

16. I dont usually go by BA ratings, but according to this site, DR #12 is the worst beer SA has ever made. Its not the worst in my opinion, but its there are def 11 other DR's better than this release

FUNKPhD and Exiled like this.
  17. Exiled

Haters or people stating facts?

Just because I (and others) was not impressed with DR12 doesnt mean im gonna stop supporting Saint Arnold. I will keep supporting, and buying beer from them like I always have, and im sure I will be buying the next Divine Reserve as well. But to me, these special Divine Reserve beers should actually be a lil more "special".

greenspointexas likes this.
  18. champ103

Some DRs have been really good if not great, others not so much. Pretty much like every other brewery when it comes to these kind of releases.

Show, Exiled and pwsoldier like this.
  19. Exiled

This is very true, but I guess im still a lil upset that the bottom quarter of every one of my beers/bottles are layered with this thick goo/gunk that I paid $18 a 6pk for, which in my eyes is unacceptable for something that is suppose to be as "special" as the Divine Reserve Series. Not to mention that the beer itself is nothing "special".

[​IMG]

End Rant/

20. champ103

Understandable. And usually the quality control at Saint Arnold is impeccable (regardless of anyone's actually opinion of how much they like their beers). So it surprises me a little that this has happened. I still have not had a chance to try it, so my input is a mute point anyway.

21. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (665) Texas Aug 16, 2005

That would be a moot point, not mute.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  22. champ103

Grammar police asshole :p:D

23. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (335) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Were there not a lot of complaints about sediment in the Pumpkinator bottles? I have yet to open the one I purchased, so I have no idea how widely effected the release might have been.

I saw 12 oz bottles of DR12 being sold individually at Thom's Market in Austin yesterday evening. Looked like they had plenty in stock.

24. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (665) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Lol, sorry, my wife and I had a discussion about this just the other day so I had to say something.

25. FUNKPhD

I had a DR12 twice yesterday. I got the last bit out of a keg with barely getting more than a quarter pint so I didn't want to go by that. Then I found a bottle, which didn't contain any sludge, but sipping it over the course of an hour or so, there was really nothing going on with this beer, in my opinion. I wouldn't say I was let down by any means, because it was about what I was expecting.

greenspointexas likes this.
  26. champ103

I have had plenty of Pumpkinator on tap, cask, and bottles. No issues with any of those as far as goo/gunk. This is the first time I have heard of this for Saint Arnold.

27. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Is assurbanipaul ever really needed?

champ103 and cfh64 like this.
  28. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

FW Saucer is tapping this today at 4ish for anyone wanting a a chance to try it without opening a bottle.

29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I checked my bottles... my bomber has a little sediment, but nothing even close to what y'all are showing. The 12oz versions are completely clear.

30. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (805) Texas Jun 14, 2012

When I had one of my 12oz bottles on Wednesday, I didn't notice the sediment. I checked the rest of my 12oz bottles, and even after holding them on their side, turning them upside down, nothing. They all appear to be clear. Could this be a problem with the bomber bottles only?

31. Exiled

The first picture I posted of the beer in the glass was poured from a 12oz bottle. The second picture I posted was from a different un-opened 12oz bottle, and all the rest of my 12oz bottles look like that as well. I didnt buy any 22oz bombers, but from whats been stated the 22oz bombers seem to have this goo/gunk in the bottles to. All I know is that my bottles have it bad...

32. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I think the pic provided above was a 12oz.

My sixer had no issues.

33. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

Illiteracy advocate :D

cfh64 and champ103 like this.
  34. mar

mar Aficionado (145) Texas Aug 1, 2007

I found some Steel Reserve at a local shop, this the same thing as this "Divine" Reserve beer you guys are talking about?

Krumb, FUNKPhD and Exiled like this.
  35. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (805) Texas Jun 14, 2012

Wow, interesting it seems to have affected some but not all bottles. Sorry to hear that all your bottles have it that bad.

36. Yup. Ages better too, on account of the large-format bottle.

37. wolffman17

wolffman17 Savant (405) Texas Jul 14, 2005

Don't forget HopsAreOverrated.

champ103 likes this.
  38. Exiled

Though I have never really cared for yeast/floaties floating around in my beer, for its just not very attractive, but I have no problem with a little cloudy/flaky build up of yeast in a beer/bottle. But the stuff in my bottles isnt like your normal yeast build up, its like one big glob of thick yeasty shampoo. Not a very attractive to be floating around in my beer...

39. FUNKPhD

Maybe you can get a trade out or something due to QC issues?

Exiled likes this.
  40. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (350) Texas Oct 2, 2007

I still believe that HopsorOverated was just the angry gentlelman on a rant.

Show, champ103 and wolffman17 like this.