1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve 12 just bottled!!

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by raffy313, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

One time a 1/2 gallon of milk went unnoticed in the back of our fridge for 3 months. It had about the same effect you're showing.
    Exiled and FUNKPhD like this.
  2. I need a ranting alter ego.
    cfh64 likes this.
  3. dpkpr

dpkpr Aficionado (230) Texas Apr 19, 2008

There is an interview (link below) in which Dave Rogers, the creator of the homebrew that served as the inspiration for DR12 states that this beer was first entered in the 2010 Big Batch Brew Bash as an English Barleywine. When he failed to medal, he set the beer aside and let it age for a year and re-entered it in the 2011 BBBB as an Old Ale, which won. So I guess it's not surprising that you find the beer not fitting neatly into the style.

http://www.examiner.com/article/divine-reserve-12-the-race-is-on-for-david-rogers-winning-entry
    H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  4. hammondc

hammondc Aficionado (140) Texas Mar 15, 2008

HEB Stone Oak has a lot of it left. At least 6 cases on the floor. I bought 1 sixer. I do not see this beer disappearing fast. We'll still be seeing it at Christmas.
  5. dpkpr

Just wondering if you decanted the entire bottle -- reads like you did. SA has recommended carefully decanting into a glass all but the last ounce of beer. (http://saintarnold.com/news/index.html#dr12):

"When pouring this beer, we highly recommend decanting it, pouring it slowly and smoothly and leaving the last ounce or so in the bottle. You can pour this into a separate glass if you wish, but you will find that the decanted portion tastes brighter and cleaner."
  6. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

So, this was prematurely released? I'm not sure that letting it sit around necessarily means it changes style, but either way, I didn't pick up either one of those styles.
    greenspointexas and Exiled like this.
  7. dpkpr

I'm not suggesting it changes styles. I'm suggesting that the beer that was judged to be the best Old Ale in 2011 was a 2010 English Barleywine. Or maybe it was neither and Dave Rogers just grabbed a beer from his cellar that he thought was closest to the style being judged!
  8. FUNKPhD

Can't blame him for that. I know I've grabbed beers that I thought was one thing than didn't realize it until pour it out. :confused:
    dpkpr likes this.
  9. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Didn't Bigfoot win best DIPA or something like that this year? I guess what I'm really saying is style is such a hard thing to nail down, sometimes it's best to forget what it's supposed to taste like.

Interesting story of the brew. Makes me think it's going to get much better.
  10. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I also inspected my 12 oz bottles and they had minimal to little sediment. Nothing as horrendous as the pics I've seen posted.
  11. mar

mar Aficionado (145) Texas Aug 1, 2007

Awesome, picking up a case then.
  12. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Yuuuuuup!
  13. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

Anyone have any clue where I could find a six pack still?
  14. FUNKPhD

If you wait, anywhere.
  15. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

I dont see that happening. This is a reserve release, they make a couple waves, but generally that is it exept for select outer undershopped stores. ALL I NEED IS A SIX PACK!! lol
  16. I was able to get a sixer. The store only got one case in, no bombers, and 3 sixers sold and the only way i got mine was cause I asked. Im eager to try it, but reading some of the posts is making me want to age it.
  17. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (360) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Go ahead and drink one. You've got 5 more you can age if you want.
    FUNKPhD and Exiled like this.
  18. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Drink one now and save the rest for later and make your own conclusion. Beer wasn't. Ad it's just not really great.
  19. hammondc

HEB Stone Oak in SA still had it yesterday.
  20. Onemic

Onemic Aficionado (195) Texas Mar 13, 2012

San antonio here, Doc's liquor on bandera had a fair amount. I bought 3, one for a friend, one for me, and one to hold on to.
  21. Lutter

Picked up another 6-er last night at Barton Hills Food Mart in Austin for $14.99. They still had a few left.
  22. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 11, 2012

From Freetail's via FB... "Tapping a special cask on Thursday afternoon...consider yourself warned." Followed by a pic of DR12. :p
    pwsoldier likes this.
  23. Onemic

Onemic Aficionado (195) Texas Mar 13, 2012

i unfortunately didnt think much of this beer. It reminded me of a Sam Adams imperial white.. too thick, too sweet.
  24. Lutter

When I was picking up Positive Contact tonight at Central Market Westgate... I noticed they still at 6-packs at the beer counter for $14.99.
  25. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (770) Texas Jun 14, 2012

Spec's Dallas just got more in, but you have to ask for it. It's not out on the shelves or the floor, they're keeping it in the back.
  26. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

There is still plenty there. Around 4 cases.
  27. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (770) Texas Jun 14, 2012

Total Wine & More just got a few more cases in@$14.99 per 6-pk.
  28. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Just saw that my local HEB has a pile of 6 packs remaining. Hasnt gone away as fast as I thought
  29. hammondc

Yep..HEB Stone Oak in SA has some. And The 2 new DFH brews. Positive Contact and the other one.
  30. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

I hate to rez old threads guys but I am in dire need of finding this. brothers birthday is coming up and I would love to give him this. He had it and absolutely loved it.

Any leads of where it might still be available?

I'll also trade for some
  31. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

This got released a few months back. Most of the Divine Reserve series disappear within a few days of hitting shelves. They're a one-and-done style beer. They make it once, and then never make it again (usually). They did remake DR9 as Pumpkinator, and DR11 as Endeavor. That being said, I'm SURE someone in Houston has a bunch of this laying around in their closet, and would trade you for something. Can anyone help?

Cheers,
    Chad
  32. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Wish i could help,i totally missed 12. :(
  33. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Yeah, I had a bomber and a six pack that I consumed and traded.... Woe is me that my newly craft indoctrinated brother would love this more than anything I have in my cellar!
  34. Lutter

I think I might have a single 12oz bottle of this... would that be of help? lol.
  35. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I still have about 2 six packs from the case I got. BM me if you have no other offers.
  36. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I have some. Let me know what you have to trade.

Shoot me a BM.
  37. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I have a bomber if you're interested in that
  38. Philly22

Philly22 Disciple (60) Texas Jul 12, 2011

Crazy J's Ice house in the Heights had a six pack of DR12 on Sunday. I believe you can buy bottles to go there.