1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saint Arnold ICON

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by dpkpr, Dec 3, 2012.

1. dpkpr

dpkpr Member

Jesse Hughey in the Dallas Observer tells the story of Saint Arnold's latest -- ICON. It will have a tiered release starting 12/10 in bottles and on tap in Houston and on tap 12/17 elsewhere -- with bottles everywhere in January. It will be quarterly releases much like a seasonal, only the various recipes may or may not return year after year. Not intended as a limited release -- they will keep brewing more throughout the quarter just like their seasonals. Article has a good interview with Brock. Debunks rumors about Divine Reserve demise. Mentions a kitchen under development at SA that will serve lunch possibly as early as late January.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/2012/12/saint_arnold_starts_new_quarte.php?print=true
  2. mattisloco

mattisloco Member

Thanks for the share!
    AHood likes this.
  3. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

4. reifsnid

reifsnid Member

According to the article "the brewery will release Icon Red, a Belgian pale ale, to the Houston market, followed by draft, then package release to the rest of the state and Louisiana. Icon Blue, a Cascadian dark ale, is scheduled for March, followed by Green in June and Gold in September"
    icetrauma likes this.
  5. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

Too bad Red isn't an Imperial Red. lol
  6. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Member

No, but this is!

[​IMG]
    AHood likes this.
  7. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

Don't remember seeing that ever...
  8. Daemose

Daemose Member

Sounds awesome. Hope they put out some interesting stuff.
  9. dpkpr

dpkpr Member

Regarding style, here's the description in the news release:

The Belgian-Style Pale Ale has a distinctive Belgian yeast flavor with rich malty sweetness and a soft floral quality from the Noble hops used. While not a traditional Trappist ale, Wagner calls it a ‘cousin’ to a Belgian dubbel.
  10. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Member

That was a good article thanks for posting. I especially liked this line==

"What style will it be?
    I could tell you it's a Belgian quadrupel, but then I'd have to kill you." in reference to the What style is DR13 question.
  11. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

I hope not. I don't think SA can pull off a quad. See DR 2 as an example.
  12. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

2 wasn't that bad. I'd hit it again.
  13. gomezman78

gomezman78 Member

That's like saying that the Falcons lost to the Broncos in the Super Bowl in 1999...Therefore they can't win the Super Bowl this year.
  14. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

I have a bottle if you want it.

Sorry but I must disagree. IMO, and we all have one, SA cannot do big beers that well. JMO. Pumkinator and BB1 where both said to be thin and lack body and that is essential to the bigger style of beer.
  15. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

Wait, is John Elway involved? :)
    icetrauma likes this.
  16. gomezman78

gomezman78 Member

I don't want to misrepresent what I'm saying. I read lots of SA hating on here and in general I ignore, whether I disagree with what's being said about SA beers or not (I do agree with some of what is said, sometimes). All I'm saying is that you can't really judge a beer that hasn't been brewed yet on a beer that was brewed at a different facility by a completely different team of brewers over 6 years ago.

I have no qualms with you comparing it to Pumpkinator or BB1 or any other big beers we've brewed recently. Apples to apples.
    icetrauma and champ103 like this.
  17. gomezman78

gomezman78 Member

Isn't he always?
    icetrauma likes this.
  18. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

It's all good. I'll continue to buy SA but I would like to feel more body in the bigger styles. That would take it from being good to great.
  19. champ103

champ103 Member

The DR's have been hit and miss for me, but the hits are as good as any brewery anywhere IMO. Simi selectively: DR 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11...No they can't do good big beers at all.
  20. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

I stopped the DR mad dash after 3 because it wasn't worth it to me. 12 was my first DR purchase in many years after a friend gave me a bottle of 11. And you just said only 50% where good to you. If you say that is good, then so be it.
  21. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

I think SA's plan was get the masses, which they have done locally and then experiment, which they are doing more of now then ever. I like the direction they are headed and I am excited to see what comes out of that barrel room, where as before I was only looking for the DR# and that was it. Stoaked they are getting some stuff together that is getting some interest going.
    AHood, BeanBone and icetrauma like this.
  22. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

Same here.
  23. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Member

24. champ103

champ103 Member

You said "SA cannot do big beers that well." That is not true at all. Not liking a certain release is one thing, but they do and have made good big beers.
  25. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

For the ones I had they are batting below avg. I had DR 1-3, 2 bottles of 11 and a 6'er of 12. Didn't like 1-3 so, I stopped the race. 11 was delicious. 12 needs some time before I make up my opinion about it. Endeavor is good but I usually pass it up for others such as Resin, Bengali Tiger and DFH 90. Pumkinator 1st batch was ok. This years batch was delicious and an improvement to me. These are all my opinions of the beers only. So, for what I have had, they are batting less than avg. JMO.
    champ103 likes this.
  26. gomezman78

gomezman78 Member

Don't take this the wrong way...but you have had Pumpkinator and BB1? The way you said that implies that you haven't.
  27. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

I've had both Pumkinators but not the BB1. I just read on here that some folks where saying it was a bit thin.
  28. Ford

Ford Member

Well.. maybe I'm not sophisticated enough.. but I loved Pumpkinator this year and BB1... if those beers aren't good enough for some... I'm fine with loving stuff that isn't good enough for some...ha.
    AHood likes this.
  29. champ103

champ103 Member

Thats cool. I usually get picked apart when saying Jester King is over rated lately, guess I am just giving some back. You just happen to be in the cross hairs ;)
    BeerSocrates12 likes this.
  30. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

I liked this years Pumkinator much more than last years.

I feel the same about JK. Not my cup of tea.
    champ103 likes this.
  31. tjmodica

tjmodica Member

Considered me a confounded dipshit if this is true "SA cannot do big beers that well". I am not going to jump through hoops for any beer, but I will take all the DR4,5,6,7,9,10, and BB#1 anybody wants to give me.
    champ103 likes this.
  32. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

Ok, you're a confounded dipshit. :D Just kidding of course.
  33. gomezman78

gomezman78 Member

And on that note....I will now bow out of this conversation.

Perhaps a DR13 thread should started?
  34. awinkro

awinkro Member

You all need to consider how old SA is. 18 years. When we started, we didn't appeal to the masses. Considering the following that SA has developed over the years, we're producing beer that our followers have come to love. I had a friend mention that the barrel series is something that we produced for beer nerds, in my opinion, not true. I think gomezman78 would agree that when we develop beers, whether barrel aged or not, us brewers brew what we want, and fortunately Brock is accepting that.
    thirdeye11, djd07 and champ103 like this.
  35. champ103

champ103 Member

Most people forget that Ellissa was the hoppiest thing available in Houston, period, when Saint Arnold first started. Maybe Stone IPA and Sierra Nevada Pale being the two exceptions.
    awinkro likes this.
  36. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

To be completely honest I had no idea that you guys have been open that long, but I do feel that everything made by St. Arnold is very drinkable, that isn't a bad thing, but you have to remember that the beers the brewers want to make for themselves are "for beer nerds" lol. The whole point was that the brewers are doing some really cool fun stuff right now and I am really excited to see what happens in the next few years.
    icetrauma likes this.
  37. gomezman78

gomezman78 Member

And it all comes back around to ICON...That's what's so great about ICON from not only a SA standpoint, but from the standpoint of a brewer at SA. Even as little as 2 years ago, the only thing we could really test brew that had a chance to see the light of day was a DR recipe. Other than that, no test brew would stand a chance, because we already have a pretty solid lineup of year round and seasonal beers. Now comes ICON....we can pretty much do whatever the f we want...and we do! If you guys only knew half of the recipes we have backlogged for the ICON series you would need a change of undies.
  38. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

Well pump it out already. :D

Looking forward to see what ya have in store.
  39. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Member

Cant wait for more SA beers to top the list in South West
  40. gomezman78

gomezman78 Member

You'd be surprised.

I speak only for myself, but I think awinkro would agree...we all like the "beer nerd" beers. We all definitely like brewing "beer nerd" beers. But most of the beer we drink is not "beer nerd" beer. It is also a lot harder to brew non-"beer nerd" beer. It takes a lot more skill to brew a solid 4% pilsner than it does a decent 10%DIPA. The reason for this is that there is no way to hide flaws in the session beer. For that reason we all like brewing those small beers too, if not more than the big ones. Gotta show off them skilllz.

Satisfying Sound #49 in the Brewery: CO2 coming out of an empty corny keg, because everyone drank the sht out of your beer, rather than going to the taps after work.