1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Saint Arnold ICON

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by dpkpr, Dec 3, 2012.

1. gomezman78

gomezman78 Aficionado (205) Texas Mar 30, 2011

As long as you're willing to give it a chance instead of comparing it to a 6 year old beer...then we're good.;)

BruceBruce likes this.
  2. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Well said

3. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

I'm alway willing to give it a chance so, done and done.

4. icetrauma

When will Icon be coming out?

5. gomezman78

gomezman78 Aficionado (205) Texas Mar 30, 2011

Getting kegged as we speak and put in bottles tomorrow. No idea when it hits stores. Probably next week.

6. awinkro

awinkro Savant (310) Texas Oct 15, 2008

As gomezman78 said, brewers love to brew small, session beers. When I was a homebrewer, I mostly brewed big stouts and hopped up DIPAS. Once professional, i realized the amount of manual labor involved, those brews were the furthest from my mind. Talk to any of your favorite brewers, most of those guys like pilsners, milds, pales, kolsches etc. Why? Because we can have a couple and be functional and it quenches the thirst after a long day of blood, sweat and tears. Once you learn the difficulty of brewing beers like that, it inspires us to brew beers that other brewers what to drink after a long day of work.

Also, brewers are beer nerds. Not to insult the BA crowd, but I will always argue that brewers are the biggest nerds. So, sure the bishop barrels can be argued they're beer nerd beers, because we're the nerds brewing them. What upsets me when releasing these SA special brews, every BA has this "it's St. Arnold, it can't be great" mentality. You all know what I'm talking about. F that. It's beer. Enjoy the experience of drinking a new beer without putting a label on it. That's what BMC is for.

jaymesbawned, DocBrass, Ford and 5 others like this.
  7. djd07

djd07 Aficionado (190) Texas Oct 3, 2012

8. djd07

^Is this accurate it will be here monday?

9. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Hey ice, id take that bottle of Dr2, never got to try it, even it its probably past its prime. (wasnt in Tx for all the dr releases)

course id have to figure out where pasadena is and if i could get there ;)

10. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Very well spoken.

I love beer. I will try anything I can get my hands on and if I don't like it I just drink something else. The main issue I hear about Saint Arnold beers is how hard it is to get some of them, which speaks highly of the beer and the buzz created for the beer.

11. djd07

Preach! Thats some truth right there!

12. blatherbeard

Being an out of state, now in state texan...... ;) i will say that i fell in love with 2 beers the first year i was living here. 1. SS Buried Hatchet and 2. Fancy lawnmower.

Ill always give St. Arnold a chance, since ive found i like lots of the other releases they also have.

but then again i also like a few shiners as well, what the hell do i know lol

Ford likes this.
  13. icetrauma

Sorry Beard. It's already spoken for.

14. blatherbeard

No worries ice, im pretty sure i cant get there from here. ;)

although, if i ever decide on a good bike ride, ill expect you to house and feed me for a night

15. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

The name of this beer keeps making me think of my Windows desktop.

16. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I have Plenty of extra 7 if you need it.

17. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Figured I'd add my .98 cents

I just wanted to chime in on the "too thin" BB#1. Refer to my remarks on that thread but yes I would f-ing love the same barrel treatment on an 14-18% RIS. The barrel was in my opinion too good for the base beer, it left it wanting MORE. And if I have a say, I say that's a pretty awesome trait, the barrel was near perfect...BOOM..no issues just greatness. If you haven't tried it..do so..it's worth the price of admission (Pwsolider excluded...since I was greeted to you at about 8:15 on La Muerta day walking in...). This beer is great and I will be disappointed if it is not revisited in some form or fashion. It's also good to hear from some of the in house guys about their wants and desires and most importantly hear that they are being heard within SABC. If BB#1 is the start...I'm having beer-bumps thinking about BB#12 (to put a series into perspective).

The relevance of my thoughts to the Icon thread in general is that between our first hand look at Bishops barrel and a sneak peaks from Azzy about upcoming releases shows that Texas needs to get ready for another level of product from SABC all around.

Who is down to buy some SABC Goose Island Killer tees? Think Brock + Nintendo Duck Hunt ;)

Ford likes this.
  18. djd07

How is yours holding up? I have only had a few 7s that were ok and several that went south.

19. DanzBorin

Its hit or miss, but sadly the miss ones are scary.

20. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (375) Texas Oct 2, 2007

I have a sixer of 7 aging in my garage.

21. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Any 5 or 6 tucked away? Anyone? Anyone? ... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government.

cam_williams likes this.
  22. jring626

jring626 Aficionado (205) Texas Mar 31, 2007

Got both 5 & 6 over here! :D Hell, I still have a few of 1 & 2!! Also sadly found a bottle of 7 tucked in the back...

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  23. wolffman17

wolffman17 Savant (405) Texas Jul 14, 2005

Thanks for the insight, awinkro and gomezman78. Perspective from the horse's mouth is much appreciated!

24. DanzBorin

I have 1 extra #6.

I need a 1 for a full run. Last July we did 1-11.

25. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (375) Texas Oct 2, 2007

If you really want those 2 bees just shoot me a beer mail.

26. Bluestar

Bluestar Savant (300) Texas Mar 5, 2012

I'd like to add 2 cents from someone who is relatively new to craft beer (about 18 months), new to homebrewing (about 5 months, currently with batch #4 in the fermenter), and even more recent to these forums (only reading them a couple of months in an effort to watch for new releases, and making my first posts this week)...

I've noticed the "it's SA, it can't be great" mentality around here, and don't really understand it... Saint Arnold's SummerPils and Lawnmower really vaulted me into the craft beer world. I'm from Canada, and have always had a love of beer, but never really knew a world of beer existed outside of light lagers, pilsners, and Guniness. Then I moved to Houston, and discovered SummerPils one year, which I loved, then moved into lawnmower and eventually through most of SA's portfolio... from there I've found this crazy world with so many bizarre breweries and brews, and it's amazing. I will always love saint arnold's for this.

While I've moved past it as my "go to" beer (simply because there is so much out there to try I don't have a "go to" anymore), I will always love it, and I'll still wind up having 2 or 3 pints of it a week and visiting the brewery a couple of times a year. You guys make great, drinkable beers... and you have to for this climate. Nice, light bodied beers are required here 9 months of the year... honestly I wish you guys would start canning a few of them to make it easier to use and dispose of them outdoors... but that's a separate discussion...

I very much look forward to seeing anything new you have to offer, and will be one of the first next week to pick up a 4-pack and enjoy it before I head back to Canada for my annual Christmas sabatical. Keep up the great work guys, and thanks for broadening my horizons...

P.S. Who has some BB#1 to share? I only found the one bottle, and had to drink it at the venue... would love to have a couple more, maybe one to try at home (with the proper glassware which wasn't given to me there) and maybe one or 2 to sit on... those woodford reserve barrels were super nice :) privite message me to make a new best friend with an ever growing cellar. :)

champ103, cfh64 and awinkro like this.
  27. icetrauma

Straight from the Website here is the roll out dates of Icon Red/Black.

The first Icon will be a Belgian Pale Ale. Here is brewer Sam's description:

"I was going for an approachable Belgian beer that people could drink more than one of. I wanted to use a simple malt bill with British crystal malts to provide a nice sweetness that doesn't get muddled with the yeast character and the hops. To add an American element, Chinook [​IMG]hops were used for bittering, which adds a piney flavor. Saaz hops were added for aroma that blends well with the yeast. I selected a yeast that adds Belgian yeast character without going overboard with phenols. I wanted to make a beer that used ingredients from disparate brewing traditions that worked well together."

The Belgian Pale Ale will be packaged in the red/black labels and carriers.

"When and where can I find the Belgian Pale Ale?" you may now be asking. Here are the details:

Monday, December 10: It will be available in package and on draft in the Houston area only. While available at some grocery and liquor stores, initially it will not be available at two of our biggest retailers, Kroger and HEB, as we did not get the paperwork approved in time (our bad!) but hopefully it will be appearing in these stores about a week later. We'll let you know when this happens.

Monday, December 17: Non-Houston markets will receive their first shipments of Belgian Pale Ale kegs but not bottles.

Late January 2013: It will be available in package and draft everywhere.

28. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (400) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Here is what was in their email (don't know what to make of the second bullet. I'm an English teacher so maybe I'm reading too much into it):

Belgian Pale Ale, the 1st Icon Release, [​IMG]
    Coming December 10

It's been about a month since we've come out with something new, and we didn't want you to think we were resting on our laurels. Please welcome the Icon series of beers.

Here is what it is:
    • A beer series that we have been planning since at least 2006, and maybe earlier.
    • As originally conceived, these beers would be iconic of their styles. That concept has morphed greatly over the past six or seven years. Now Icon releases may, or may not, be iconic of their styles.
    • Each release will be available for about three months. You should not have to take off work to get these beers. But feel free to.
    • We may rerelease the same Icon again in the future. Or maybe we won't.
    • We will be releasing Icon in four packs of 12 oz bottles. The four pack carriers will be color coordinated with the bottle labels, but the carriers will not have the beer style printed on them. The bottles will include the beer style on the label and a little description on the back of the bottle.
    • The four pack carriers are recyclable with us just like the six pack carriers. They count the same value as a six pack since the carriers cost us the same.
    • There will be four color combinations used in the Icon series packaging: Red/Black, Blue/Black, Gold/Black, Green/Black.
    • Icon will also be released on draft.
    • Most of the Icon releases will be from recipes conceived and refined by our brewers. Occasionally, a recipe inspired by a winning entry from the Big Batch Brew Bash will be released in this series.
    • Icon releases will probably be in the 4% to 8% ABV range.
    • Stronger special releases will be reserved for the Divine Reserve series.

Ford likes this.
  29. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

I also do not get the "It's from Saint Arnold's so it isn't good." I'm really excited about all the things that Saint Arnold's has planned. I haven't been into craft beer long enough to sample every beer that they have ever made but I have liked everyone that I have tried so far.

It's also good to know that this beer will be available for three months. Hopefully we won't have the people that run out and buy 6 cases just to post them on Craigslist to try and make a profit.

Ford likes this.
  30. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Hopefully we do so they waste their money.

31. So wait... You have actually only tried the very first in the DR series and a couple of the last few of the series but you feel knowledgable enough to discredit every other beer in the DR line as well as any future offerings the brewery may make.

Why don't you use YOUR palate. Try the beers and give an INFORMED opinion. If you try them and don't like them, so be it. Last time I checked DR4, DR9 and DR11 all medaled. Three beers you intimated we're too thin. One of those which you admittedly never even tasted.

32. icetrauma

Since you apparently cannot read I PURPOSLY stopped chasing the DR series because IMO, they where not worth it. And I never tried 4 or 9 since I PURPSOLY stopped going after them. Why would I want to spend my money on expensive 6 pks when I didn't like the previous offerings? Because they are brewed in Houston? And I never said 4,9 or 11 where to thin. You ASSumed I did when, I clearly stated I have NEVER tried them and I was only commenting on the ones I have had. You assumed it was a blanket statement and if you would of read it more closely and with an open mind you would of understood what I was saying. Just because a brewery is local you don't have to like everything they brew. Bud Light is brewed in Houston as well. Do you nut hug them too? And I you would of read more post I liked the 11 and never said it was to thin. I was referring to Pumkinator and some of reviews of BB1. So, chill out and relax. It's just beer. And for the record I don't like sours or Saison's which is why I don't buy JK beers anymore. Am I allowed to do that to or do I have to love and hoard JK because they are brewed in Tx too?

33. icetrauma

And if you would of read the entire conversations, the brewers, other members and myself had a pretty good discussion and everything came out peachy keen. But, if you want me to run out and hoard more DR series from others just to say I have it, well, that's pretty damn crazy. I would rather others who enjoy that style get it then someone who doesn't.

34. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (535) Texas Nov 27, 2011

But you're doing it all wrong. You don't buy those beers to drink them - you hoard them so you can trade for other beers you won't drink. That's how the system works. :p

icetrauma likes this.
  35. AHood

AHood Aficionado (155) Texas Nov 28, 2012

I agree. You never know what you are going to like from which brewery. I like IPAs but can not stand NB's Ranger. Yuck. Looking forward to what SA has to offer with this new venture.

36. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

All I have to say is that ICON is, I mean will be REAL good. I have n't tried it but if I did, I would be very happy with the results I am quite sure of it. :) (This review is from notes)

MoonpieCCSD and FUNKPhD like this.
  37. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (400) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Really glad that this isn't a beer I have to track or hunt down. The fact that it will be available for the next three months is a huge plus. Excited to pick some up tomorrow.

Texas_Speed, UHCougar12 and Ford like this.
  38. Bluestar

Bluestar Savant (300) Texas Mar 5, 2012

Gonna be a big beer haul today... Spec's DT, here I come!

39. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Any sightings today? I heard tomorrow for Smith St. Spec's, but haven't heard anything else.

40. DonD

DonD Savant (250) Texas Jun 23, 2008

D&Q just tweeted he has it.