1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saint Arnold ICON

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by dpkpr, Dec 3, 2012.

1. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

I could see this beer as a good entry into craft beer. Not big and bold at all but easy to drink and smooth. Very "sessionable" beer
    HoustonZ33 and Ford like this.
  2. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Member

I've been so busy with work and other things....haven't had the time to track this one down. I'll prolly try this weekend.
  3. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Member

I did this exact thing with a buddy of mine who only drinks bl. Hes tried a few of my other crafty options, and has never liked them. But the Icon he said was pretty good.
    icetrauma likes this.
  4. jaymesbawned

jaymesbawned Member

delusions of grandeur
  5. jaymesbawned

jaymesbawned Member

I liked it. Good sessionable beer. Nice belgian yeast flavors without going overboard.
  6. kaidasz

kaidasz Member

meh, would NOT buy this ever again, but for an entry point for belgians, could be good for him/her.
  7. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Member

I wasn't a fan of it...
  8. Ford

Ford Member

I had it on tap at the new Nobi House Republic yesterday... I like this beer.
  9. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Member

I tried Icon Red on Friday at Freetail. Pretty good stuff. It kinda reminded me of De Koninck. Nothing mind-blowing, but it's a solid Belgian-style ale.
  10. Azzy

Azzy Member

For those of you who haven't found any, there is a pallet sitting at HEB Montrose. No exageration.
  11. soultrain19

soultrain19 Member

Kroger's finally got their shipment as well. Should not be an issue finding this beer.
  12. Ford

Ford Member

Yep.... seems like they made plenty... can't wait to try the next one in a few months.

I'll probably end up drinking two four packs of this before all is said and done.. and I've had one pint at Nobi.
  13. Lutter

Lutter Member

Draught House has this on tap in Austin
  14. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Member

This would be a good summer beer. I'd drink this over a Weedwacker hands down.
  15. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

All day long.
    TxUltraRunner likes this.
  16. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

IMO, of all the lower abv beers brewed by SA, I would say this is the most sessionable on of the lot.
  17. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Member

Which begs me to ask why they released a Belgian Ale during the winter. The flavor profile of this beer fits perfectly with the summer. Porter would have worked great. Their winter stout sucks. Have they ever released a porter? mmmmmm.......512 Pecan......
  18. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

No porter to my knowledge and I am not a fan of their stout either. I need to find some 512 Pecan.
  19. Ford

Ford Member

I tried the stout last week and liked it... not my favorite stout... but I'll drink it again, especially if I find it on tap somewhere.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  20. champ103

champ103 Member

The only porter they have released has been the Donleavy Porter. A tribute to the author, and only available on cask at the different Gingermans around Texas. Long gone now.
  21. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Member

I just bought a six of the "winter stout" and thought it was pretty good as well. Of course ive had better, but i thought the flavor was decent and i drank the whole six without a problem ;)
    H0rnedFr0gs and Ford like this.
  22. Ford

Ford Member

Well I actually had the stout on tap at El Real in Houston last night.... besides being served at a near arctic temperature.... had to wait a bit and let it warm up some... I liked it even more this time.
  23. kmello69

kmello69 Member

I think that if you drank the whole 6, you DO have a problem. ;)
  24. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

I hope he wasn't refilling those bottles as he went. :p
  25. justin07

justin07 Member

very average beer at best. Had at the Saucer without knowing what style it was...still didn't know after drinking it.
  26. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

It's a Belgian Pale Ale.
  27. Ford

Ford Member

I thought it was easy to tell it was Belgian.. but I'm no expert.. so maybe that is my problem.. I knew it wasn't German or Mexican.
  28. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

It could of possibly been Polish or Ethiopian but I could be wrong.
  29. Lutter

Lutter Member

They need to stop screwing around with this ICON crap and gimme Endeavour in 4-packs. SHUT UP AND TAKE ALL MY IPA MONEY.

Afterwards, they can continue trying to emulate New Belgium's entire regular lineup.

:)
  30. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Member

I can see why it might be hard to tell what style it is. I think the American hops used in this beer kind of overwhelm the Belgian yeast flavors.
    Ford likes this.
  31. cfh64

cfh64 Member

Huh, thats interesting, I never thought of it that way. Care to be more specific?
  32. Lutter

Lutter Member

I just always think of New Belgium's normal lineup as a menagerie of mediocre Belgian styles.
  33. cfh64

cfh64 Member

Gotchya, but this is only one Belgian style that is part of the Icon series and I don't think claiming they are trying to "emulate" NB is a fair statement based on one beer.
    Ford likes this.
  34. Lutter

Lutter Member

I was mostly trying to be clever.
    Ford likes this.
  35. cfh64

cfh64 Member

Lol, you are clever, I'll give you that ;)

Is this where I say "I see what you did there"?
  36. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Member

I was thinking to myself, Nb's beers arent belgians.....

;)
  37. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

Hence "NEW Belgium" hehehehehehehehe
    blatherbeard likes this.
  38. HoodooOperator

HoodooOperator Member

Picked up some ICON yesterday ... Solid 'MEH'
  39. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Member

Had the ICON over the weekend.

It was okay, nothing to write home about.

Definitely agree that the Winter Stout needs some work, there's no body/mouthfeel to it..it's like drinking water. :|

BA WINTER VANILLA STOUT HOORAY!
  40. BeanBone

BeanBone Member

If, by some chance, someone on the northside is looking and doesn't feel like driving, the booty Kroger by my house on Rayford has a metric shitload of this.