Saint Lamvinus

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by CaptainPiret, Jan 25, 2013.

1. I brought a bottle of this back to the states and have it aging in my cellar. However, I glanced at the label today and it says something about drinking within a year of its bottling — that would've been six months ago for the bottle I have.

I was under the assumption that Geueze will age well for years, but is this beer an exception?

2. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

It's actually a fruit Lambic. Many think fruit lambics don't age so well as their fruit character can fade or change.

Edit: Some folks plan to drink their fruit lambics within about 2 years of bottling.

3. The St. Lamvinus is not a gueuze but a 2 to 3 year old Lambic with the grapes added. The fruit character will lessen over time but the beer is still very drinkable a few years down the road.

CaptainPiret likes this.
  4. Appreciate the info, gents. Didn't realize it was Lambic and not Gueuze. Looks like I'll be drinking this bottle pretty soon — perhaps even tonight!

5. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

I think you'll enjoy it if the reviews are any guide.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/8954

CaptainPiret likes this.
  6. Hmmm, looks like I have the same "problem" as capt Piret! I looked at the bottle of Mamouche I have and that was says to open within 10 years. It's also a fruit lambic, no??? Perhaps the grapes don't hold up to the acidity of the lambic as well as elder flower? I wish I had brought an unlimited supply of Cantillon back to Cali....!

CaptainPiret likes this.
  7. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Saint Lamnivus ages with the best lambic out there. Had multiple vintages over the last couple years (with the last being an '05) and I personally think it gets better with age. Some of Cantillon's fruit lambics get way too sour with age (ex. Fou Foune, Vigneronne, etc.), but St. Lamn stays nice and balanced.

CaptainPiret likes this.