1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

[Salem] Santiam Brewing

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by guajolote, Jul 7, 2012.

1. guajolote

guajolote Savant (400) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

http://www.santiambrewing.com/index.html

Opens today. I'm probably going to bike down to the tasting room later and give it a try. I'm just glad to see the beer scene in Salem coming into its own (there are a whopping three breweries here now!). Still a long way to go, but we're getting there.
  2. joefc

joefc Aficionado (165) Oregon Apr 14, 2010

Did you make it there yesterday? It's certainly nice to see anything happening in Salem. This is indeed a step in the right direction.
  3. guajolote

guajolote Savant (400) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Yes. Got there just after they opened & it filled up pretty quickly, which was good to see. There's a small, albeit enthusiastic, group of beer nerds in this town which seems to be growing.

The beers were good. They offered five yesterday. The two IPAs were good but unremarkable, IMO. The highlights were the "other" beers.:
    - Bramble On, a raspberry wheat, was tasty & refreshing. I generally don't like fruited wheat beers, but this was nice and dry with a good fruit character. In my experience, fruited wheats are usually overly sweet which kills the refreshment factor. This isn't something I'd normally order, but it came on the taster tray and I was pleasantly surprised.
    - Prince Charlie's Wee Heavy was strong, smooth and complex. Had a nice understated peatyness to it that I liked.
    - Pirate Stout is a rum barrel-aged (well, aged on rum-soaked oak) export stout with coconut. My favorite of the day. The rum & coconut melded perfectly. The coconut wasn't over the top.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what these guys do going forward. Any way you slice it, it's a step in the right direction for the Salem beer scene!