Saloon Door Brewing

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by ChrisYarborough, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisYarborough

ChrisYarborough Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2012 Texas

Today I drove over the Nasa 1 bypass like I do every morning and noticed off to the left off Magnolia there is a building under construction with a Southern Draw Brewery banner.

Anyone know much about them? Saw a facebook page but not much information on who the HB is and who is behind it..

TomHouTX likes this.
  2. TomHouTX

TomHouTX Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Texas

This is the first I have heard of it, I am curious to see what develops. Sirius Brewpub was supposed to open a few blocks from there, but that seems to have died before it even got started.

3. ChrisYarborough

probably going to go visit Channing @ Nobi or the guys over at Defalco's Clear Lake and see if they know anything.

I thought maybe these guys were part of the Mashtronauts. But I dont see any names that match from the Mash members list with names on the facebook page

4. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

First I have heard of this as well. They do not have any TABC approvals yet if that matters.

5. boogercrack

boogercrack Initiate (0) May 24, 2012 Texas

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernDrawBrewery?ref=br_rs

seems to be pretty far along in construction to not have their tabc stuff in order, but i have no idea about the order of operations there.

6. Ford

Ford Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

Southern Draw is so close to Southern Star... wish they'd chosen a slightly different name.

7. Austin_W

Austin_W Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2015

Hey guys, Austin W from Southern Draw. We are in the process of TABC/TTB approval and hope to be open and serving our beer by late-February 2016. We are doing some trademark stuff and have taken to heart some of the comments regarding our name. We are likely going to be changing the name prior to opening, but I am not sure about any of that stuff yet.

Our brewer, Josh, has been in the Mashtronauts for years, as are several of my family members. Great guys. Josh is a chemical engineer and has been brewing for about ten years, including a short stint with Mother Earth Brewery out in San Diego, CA. Full disclosure: I am relatively new to craft beer (24 months or so) and have no part in creating or brewing any of our beers. That said, I think Josh's nitro cream ale is the best I have ever had. His Milk Chocolate Stout is outstanding, and we have gotten some great feedback on his pale ale, his IPA, and his Double IPA. We have about 12 recipes that are good to go and another 4 or so that we are scaling up and tweaking. We are going to have 4 nitro taps, and 15 other taps loaded up with our beer (as well as a few of our friends' beers) as soon as the government lets us. We will be filling growlers, and serving cheap, delicious pizza out of the kitchen.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the beer, the brewery, or the process of getting licensed by Uncle Sam to manufacture alcohol. I am stoked that people are already talking about us and sharing their thoughts. I look forward to getting to know you guys, and talking more about Southern Draw.

8. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2009 Texas

Welcome Austin. Are you guys going with a brewpub license? What size brewhouse are yall working with?

9. aschwab

That answers that question.

10. Maich

Maich Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Texas

I love pizza....is this going to be scratch sauce/dough? NY style, brick oven, deep dish?

11. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Pundit (890) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Very cool, looking forward to the opening! Don't change your name. People will talk...blah blah oh well. Southern Draw is relevant to the south so keep on. The brews sound great.

jtk likes this.
  12. ChrisYarborough

Thanks Austin for giving us a little insight into who you guys are and what you will be doing.

Pizza and Beer? nice.. we will definitely stop by either during lunch or after work with my work buddies to have a few. We are just off Marina Bay Drive about 10 minute drive at the most.

To be honest though the name is weird and when I told a few people about you they also thought the name was a little off. They were like is it southern draw or southern drawl? Then telling them it was draw they had this quizzical look.

But whatever I still will stop by when you open and say hi no matter what the name. It will be nice having a place down here like this that will be an alternative to Nobi. I am not always in the mood for Nobi food even though it is damn good.. Sometimes I just want a pizza or burger with my beer!

13. Techichi

Techichi Pooh-Bah (1,635) Sep 25, 2012 Texas
    Pooh-Bah

Maybe it's a play on words.

14. Ford

I hate the name, but that doesn't really matter.. just beer quality in the end.

15. Maich

Maich Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Texas

Agree w/ the name not being great. I'm still looking for info on this pizza, I can find great beer but great pizza on the other hand is scarce in the area.

16. boogercrack

boogercrack Initiate (0) May 24, 2012 Texas

Fuckin' Dan's Pizza man.

17. Ford

Yeah, I enjoy Dan's myself. Good stuff.

18. TomHouTX

TomHouTX Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Texas

Boondoggles has some pretty good pizza also.

19. SmellyPete

SmellyPete Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2014 Texas

yeah but the dirty beer lines there make most beers taste pretty bad...

Ford likes this.
  20. aschwab

Looks like Saloon Door Brewing is the new name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.