1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sam Adams IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shagator, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Living in Central KY, we have limited choices when it comes to IPAs, especially at the grocery store. I have been trying to find a good/decent IPA that is available on a regular basis. I have seen the Sam Adams "Hops on Tour" or whatever they call it. Is it worth trying? Does Sam Adams make a good IPA? If not, is there a reason why? I am trying to find a good beer that is readily available regardless of the store, but it is becoming harder

2. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (365) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Their Latitude 48 IPA isn't bad, I guess worth trying if you do not have a large selection.

3. I like their Whitewater IPA better than Latitude 48. Whitewater's a wheat IPA, and it has more of a citrusy flare to it that I dig. It's pretty refreshing, too.

I hear good things about the new IPL in the Spring pack, but I haven't tried it yet.

kirbmeist, szmnnl99 and Knapp85 like this.
  4. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

I'm a fan of the Whitewater... I just really like it when it's fresh.

kirbmeist, szmnnl99 and Craigory like this.
  5. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

The "IPA on Tour" is a Magic Hat thing... I think that is what you are thinking of.

checktherhyme likes this.
  6. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Latitude 48 is pretty good. It was the IPA that started the IPA craze for me. Their others like Tasman Red aren't very good IMO.

7. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

I, too, like the Latitude 48. It is an English style IPA, not as hop forward as the West Coast style but still pretty nice. I haven't had their new IPL (India Pale Lager) yet. Mixed packs are a good way to try different offerings but I usually find at least one that I don't enjoy.

8. The Hop Tour pack is not all IPA; the Noble Pils is a Pilsner. I think Whitewater IPA is in there as well, which is like a hopped up Belgian Wit. Latitude 48 is solid, though on the maltier side for an IPA.

However, if you can get a hold of Sam Adam's Hop-Ology 12-pack, take advantage of that opportunity. Several cool variations on the IPA style in there.

As far as an easily available grocery store IPA, do y'all get Sierra Nevada out there? Torpedo is a great budget IPA.

9. That's not to say those three Hop Tour beers aren't all good, but they may not quite be what you're looking for.

10. While not the most over-the-top IPAs, Sam Adams definitely brews some solid ones.

Is your budget so tight that you can't just go ahead and buy a few to try?

craigo19 and szmnnl99 like this.
  11. sefus12

sefus12 Savant (285) Kentucky Sep 7, 2006

Being that you are in Central KY, do you not get the beer in avatar? West Sixth IPA is one of the best IPAs in the KY market (right there with SN Torpedo and Bell's Two Hearted) and is much better than anything Sam Adams makes (and I think there stuff is a bit better than people give it credit for).

12. This link is a guide to what may be available in KY. It's accurate for NY but I can't say if it's the same for KY.
    http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html

13. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Sam's IPA is OK, but a little on the sweet side for an IPA in my opinion. You'll only know for yourself if you try it. You might like it.

14. Shagator

I really like West Sixth, as well as SN ad Bells. This is more of an issue when I stop at Kroger on the way home and they dont have much of a selection.

15. Shagator

Thank you for all of the comments. When I have the time and the money I usually spring for something that i know I like and that should be good. Its just there are times when i have to stop at the grocery and usually the only thing they have that is not BMC or something like that is a Sam Adams. Last time I went they had 6 or 7 varieties of Sam Adams. I have thought about trying them several times, but I usually end up not getting anything or a six of Sierra Nevada or Red Hook

16. The IPL is actually pretty good....all the hoppy citrus flavors of an IPA combined with the crispness of a lager.

17. Double Agent is a nice twist on an IPA. Do you get New Belgium beers? Ranger is a very good IPA for a relatively low price.

18. Sam Adams in general makes some pretty solid beer. They have a few clunkers, but they fall victim to undeserved snobbery due to their size.

They were one of maybe 2 or 3 craft breweries keeping the sport alive for quite awhile though

Craigory and MilkManX like this.
  19. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

Which Sierra Nevada sixer? If it's Torpedo, nothing Sam Adam's in the way of an IPA is even gonna come close (no hate, I know it's not their mainstay).

Providence and SenorHops like this.
  20. I'd take Goose Island IPA over Sam in that scenario, provided, of course, that the Kroger carries Goose Island.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  21. Shagator

Thank you. I do enjoy the Goose island IPA, but they dont carry it

22. sefus12

Gotcha. Sorry for your luck about Kroger. My local Kroger doesn't carry too many good beers, but I can always find SN Torpedo or PA. Best of luck!

23. Sam Adams has a mixed 12 pack of IPA's called Hopology (or something like that). Decent price for mediocre IPA's. As everyone else has already said, if given the choice, I'd go with (fresh) SN Torpedo.

place88 and JimSmetana like this.
  24. Ditto this. Ranger is good taste with good pricepoint.

25. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I want to try the IPL (India Pale Lager)

26. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

This
    [​IMG]Plus This

[​IMG]

= Hops on Tour

To the OP: Go for it, the IPL was actually very good (although it seems not to be in this varety pack) and the whitewater and latitude weren't bade either. I did not like the Tasman Red, but some people did. Who knows? Only you when you try it right?

27. Had my first last night, I liked it quite a bit.

28. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (485) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

New Belgium, Ranger IPA is a great IPA that is cheap and can be found almost anywhere.

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  29. Maybe you have a Meijers store near you. They had the Hopology in stock when I was there last week

http://www.meijer.com/custserv/store_locator.jsp

30. That IPA-hop-ology was such a damn good mix pack. I could go for a grumpy monk right now

Craigory likes this.
  31. I'd say if you have a inkling to try it, it's always worth trying.
    No matter what people tell you, taste is subjective and you'll never know if you like it until you try for yourself.

32. jman005

jman005 Advocate (505) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

I live in Lexington. If you make a trip over here the Liquor Barn on richmond road has an awesome beer selection. You can choose from probably at least 70 different IPA. Or the beere trappe or lexington beer works both have an outstanding craft beer selection.

creal92 likes this.
  33. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (315) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

Seems like this could all be solved if you don't stop at Kroger.

34. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I live in BF Indiana and my Kroger has Two Hearted, Stone IPA, and the usual SN lineup. As you can tell from my avatar I'm also partial to West 6th.

35. sefus12

Man, I'm not sure what else you need besides SN Torpedo and Two Hearted. Assuming they are pretty fresh, they are two REALLY good IPAs.

36. I actually really liked Latitude 48 this year. I think the Mosaic hops make a difference. When fresh, it's a solid and cheap IPA. Never going to replace fresh Smutty IPA, but it's nice to have as a cheap back-up.

37. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (470) Florida Jul 13, 2011

I bought a single bottle of the Whitewater IPA just to try it, and thought it was pretty decent. Smelled great and was refreshing to drink. However, seems like most groceries on the East Coast (I'm in Florida) carry Sierra Nevada and they are priced about the same as Sam Adams. For that reason, I never buy multi-packs of Sam Adams.

38. Shagator

When I have time I go to Shenanigans or Liquor Barn and actually get what I want. There are times when I have to run to Kroger and dont have time to go somewhere else. The posts have helped with the SA choices. I guess too that I am frustrated with my Kroger. I have been to several other Krogers in town that have much better selection. My local Kroger is on Leestown.